Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2012, 10:40 PM

4,582 posts, read 8,972,542 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wag more bark less View Post
Maybe. It's definitely true that liberal Texans would probably be considered more moderate by coastal standards, but not in all cases. Myself and most people I know who are liberals in Austin don't somehow become conservative in California (ok, maybe parts of California ) I have similar views to friends & family in DC, Long Island and Boston. But I could be wrong, I've never lived on the coast.

Texas urban areas are definitely not getting more conservative. Central counties in Houston & Dallas are getting more blue and Austin seems to be about the same. The suburbs of each are equally conservative, more or less. I'm not sure about trends in rural areas. Austin gets behind certain liberal concerns, such as views on the environment, but it's probably more libertarian than liberal.

Even though some posters on here are loath to admit it, Austin is still statistically the most liberal metro overall in Texas, but probably not by much, and the difference seems to be growing smaller. Ducking my head now.
This is right on.

FWIW, It's a shame Rick Perry is from Texas. I would be embarrassed if that guy came from my state. Not that Georgia has any better politicians. It certainly doesn't.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2012, 10:41 PM

14,186 posts, read 22,743,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caphillsea77 View Post
Well coming from a state that was constantly ridiculed for electing Kennedy's (which has lightened up a bit since Scott Brown was elected) scapegoat political association whether right or wrong is fairly common. American media is partly to blame for that. I've been to DFW, Austin, San Antonio, and El Paso so I'm fully aware of how big, diverse, and dynamic Texas is. For those that are more well informed they may know about progressive mayors like Annise Parker in Houston. For those who arn't as familiar with the state and still have the image that Texas is mostly militant far right conservatism (which unfortunately many do), well Rick Perry embodies that. I appreciate Texas and many of its attributes but I certainly don't appreciate him or his image. He's a caricature that easily corrupts any balanced and fair opinion of Texas.
It was awesome when the bottom quartile of Republicans suggested boycotting H.J. Heinz food products in 2004 because of Theresa Heinz Kerry. I had to explain to the morons that Theresa is not a Heinz by blood, but instead, married into the Heinz family. She's the widow of the late Republican Sen. John Heinz, who was a Heinz by blood, but died in a plane crash in 1991. Later on, she married Democrat Sen. John Kerry, but kept the Heinz in her name. Basically, Theresa married into Heinz money, and then John (Kerry) married into Heinz money that was married into. More simply put, keep the H.J. Heinz Corporation out of this!

Old 01-08-2012, 12:27 PM

83 posts, read 163,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wag more bark less View Post
Maybe. It's definitely true that liberal Texans would probably be considered more moderate by coastal standards, but not in all cases. Myself and most people I know who are liberals in Austin don't somehow become conservative in California (ok, maybe parts of California ) I have similar views to friends & family in DC, Long Island and Boston. But I could be wrong, I've never lived on the coast.

Texas urban areas are definitely not getting more conservative. Central counties in Houston & Dallas are getting more blue and Austin seems to be about the same. The suburbs of each are equally conservative, more or less. I'm not sure about trends in rural areas. Austin gets behind certain liberal concerns, such as views on the environment, but it's probably more libertarian than liberal.

Even though some posters on here are loath to admit it, Austin is still statistically the most liberal metro overall in Texas, but probably not by much, and the difference seems to be growing smaller. Ducking my head now.
Last statistic I read was that Dallas Fort Worth area had about 1/2 of its citizens vote Republican and I've read a broad statement that the Houston area leans very conservative.

However this was just Wikipedia I didn't look into it further than that.

Old 01-08-2012, 01:39 PM

1,780 posts, read 4,026,599 times
Texas certainly isn't getting any more conservative; I would say it is slowly swinging to the liberal side, but a long way to go though!

Old 01-08-2012, 06:06 PM

Location: Jefferson City 4 days a week, St. Louis 3 days a week
2,709 posts, read 5,096,533 times
Texas can't get any more conservative now I don't think. New Hampshire is getting more liberal. Kansas is pretty solidly conservative.

Old 01-08-2012, 09:25 PM

26,406 posts, read 46,575,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stlouisan View Post
Texas can't get any more conservative now I don't think. New Hampshire is getting more liberal. Kansas is pretty solidly conservative.
New Hampshire is a state with many independent voters and thinkers. It is a solid purple state that can swing either way.

Old 01-08-2012, 09:43 PM

20,515 posts, read 33,540,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GraniteStater View Post
New Hampshire is a state with many independent voters and thinkers. It is a solid purple state that can swing either way.
This is actually where urban Texas is headed. Texas is actually getting more libertarian than anything. Somebody mentioned the Houston area being conservative. Not all of it. Harris County (Houston) is blue and Fort Bend and Galveston County are Purple counties. Only Montgomery is solidly red. All of DFW counties except Dallas is Red but Tarrant could be blue in a few years.

That said. Rural and small town Texas including suburban Texas is still pretty conservative.

Old 01-08-2012, 10:51 PM

15,982 posts, read 35,212,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by asubram3 View Post
Texas certainly isn't getting any more conservative; I would say it is slowly swinging to the liberal side, but a long way to go though!
A long way is an extreme exaggeration.

Old 01-09-2012, 03:41 AM

3,236 posts, read 3,938,163 times
There are very few states getting more conservative in the US. It's because the white percentage is decreasing everywhere. The only places getting more conservative are stagnant and declining states like Louisiana and Oklahoma. Pretty much all the areas experiencing brain drain are becoming more conservative.

Old 01-09-2012, 04:14 AM

7,743 posts, read 15,870,170 times
Oklahoma is stagnant and declining? You're putting Oklahoma in the same league as Louisiana? Goes to show how much you know.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies