Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-08-2012, 05:30 PM

33,571 posts, read 18,154,780 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by alphamale View Post
You lost me at "cornel west". Does anyone take him seriously?
Apparently the college kids do and they can spread communism like a cancer.

I have friends going for their masters and they all tell me how liberal the teachers are and slant so far left it is total indoctrination of the college kids as they daily add their liberal bias to every subject.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2012, 05:49 PM

6,193 posts, read 5,367,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by banjomike View Post
Communism will never take root in the United States, and we have no communists in our political system, period.
Communism doesn't need to take root to take over.

No communists in our political system?

Why does the support team in the White House praise the virtues of communism? Does merely being an advisor to this president set them aside from the political system? Are they not his advisors, supporters, the people he surrounds himself with that define him (his words).

Old 01-08-2012, 05:58 PM
i7pXFLbhE3gq

n/a posts
Quote:
I have friends going for their masters and they all tell me how liberal the teachers are and slant so far left it is total indoctrination of the college kids as they daily add their liberal bias to every subject.
Really? I mean, I know right wing extremists think everything has a liberal bias, but I've never actually seen it. I'm not sure how biology class becomes liberal, or physics. Are Newton's Laws and the Schrodinger equation hiding some underlying liberal agenda? Is the uncertainty principle a liberal plot to make people question the foundations of our society?

Utterly insane.

And can someone remind me how letting tax rates go back to pre-Bush rates is communist? And discriminating somewhat less against gay people? That has commie written it all over it. And how about daring to suggest that maybe people should try to be less fat and lazy? Stalin would be proud.

Old 01-08-2012, 07:16 PM

65 posts, read 70,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taratova View Post

Strictly speaking, it's probably not every subject -- there are plenty of sensible professors out there -- but Communist influence reaches a bit too far into that walk of life. One of the signal temptations in academia is to overestimate the potency of bare-naked human willpower in accomplishing all kinds of positive outcomes, and so quasi-religious siren-songs like Communism, built on fantasies of transcendence through the "right" application of the will to power, can find an audience in those circles.

On those unusual occasions when you really do get a dangerous crackpot at your school -- a faculty member who approaches their role in bad faith to begin with -- the average modern secular university is hard-pressed to minimize or counteract the damage they inflict. Their authority to exercise discipline on deviant faculty was long ago undermined by relativism and superstitious notions of academic freedom. All too easily such a university is made to serve as an anti-cultural tool at the service of the intellectually degenerate who are willing to play ideological hardball.

In order to see the problem clearly and make progress toward a solution,
we need to be mindful of the distinctions between the following :
-- the mystique of the established universities
-- their pragmatic/operational qualities as real-world institutions
-- the concept of the passing on of knowledge
-- the concept of research

Last edited by BigGuy77; 01-08-2012 at 07:17 PM.. Reason: ?

Old 01-08-2012, 07:18 PM

78,382 posts, read 60,566,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by janelle144 View Post
So America is going Communist while Russia goes Democratic.
Wrong on both accounts.

Old 01-08-2012, 07:20 PM

78,382 posts, read 60,566,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taratova View Post

Most college kids recognize bias and crazy better than the next person. Especially this generation brought up to be pretty jaded.

I had some Uber-crazy professors in college. You'd be shocked how they can have the opposite effect.

Old 01-08-2012, 07:37 PM

6,193 posts, read 5,367,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
I had some Uber-crazy professors in college. You'd be shocked how they can have the opposite effect.
So what was the effect that created Bill Ayers?

Old 01-08-2012, 07:42 PM

1,535 posts, read 1,633,661 times
Look up the NorthAmeican Defence Act Authorization just signed by Obama on Jan 2, 2011 the main stream media did not report on it.

Military can now pick up US citizens off the street and hold them forever and even ship them to another country all this without warrents or an charges just suspicion.
Gonzola Lira says it better at his website:
Gonzalo Lira: Join Me As I Say: No.

he gives the details.

Old 01-08-2012, 07:49 PM

65 posts, read 70,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by banjomike View Post
Being mindful and observant is indeed our duty. But thinking that a change in regulations is a Communist conspiracy is paranoid.

Beware the poison of conspiracy... it kills a person's intelligence and causes a life full of fear and paranoia.
You don't need a conspiracy in order for the status quo to turn in a communist direction. All it takes is a centralization of power (planned or not), a proliferation of fine-grained regulations that harass and dis-empower the citizens, an oppressive tax code, and/or the turning of all against all on a cultural level. (I'm sure there are other things, too.) Then you might just as well be living under Lenin.

Old 01-09-2012, 03:16 PM

33,571 posts, read 18,154,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
Most college kids recognize bias and crazy better than the next person. Especially this generation brought up to be pretty jaded.

Yes, but only those who know what bias is can figure it out.. most just take in everything and believe it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies