Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2012, 09:37 AM

68,329 posts, read 54,389,283 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by alphamale View Post
Please try to keep up.
Please explain your allegation that somehow Obama managed to create 30 MILLION people who appartenly in your world didn't previously require medical attention and now do.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2012, 09:48 AM

25,826 posts, read 20,703,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
Like Medicare and Medicaid, the doctors will have a choice to accept them or not. Lose money here and charge the paying clients more to make up for it, and the cost of healthcare rises again, and again.

Or refuse to accept them.

In the long run, it will put more in the ER's than their short term plan imagined.

It will all even out and those with no insurance now, will be right back where they are now, only the ER's will be getting paid by the government, instead of being stiffed.
Actually I think what will happen is completely different. In my area, several walk-in/urgent care offices have opened in the last year and virtually all charge a fixed fee for a standard office visit - one of them only charges around $40.00 for a routine visit and $89.00 for a sports physical. This is a great benefit here as we have a lot of university students and lower income folk.
And, they are doing great business.

BTW:

"The healthcare industry added 23,000 jobs in December, maintaining its status as one of the fastest-growing segments of the economy."

http://thehill.com/blogs/healthwatch...ew-jobs?page=2

Old 01-07-2012, 09:56 AM

24,621 posts, read 19,165,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alphamale View Post
If you planned on increasing production by20%, you would gear up for it first, right?

Hire /train new people, build new infrastructure, etc.
Not necessarily. There are instances where you can increase production without hiring additional employees, or machinery/equipment.

The health care economic sector is a different animal, because it generally requires intense training, certification, education or licensing (or two or more of those).

I can advertise for a fork-lift operator and get 3,000 job applications, but if I advertise for an x-ray technician, lab tech, doctor, nurse etc, I'm not going to get a but a few.

Economy of Scaling....

Mircea

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlassoff View Post
Ummm... We're not "dumping" 30 million new patients on the medical system. They are already there-- Now they will be insured. The medical system won't change. The insurance system will.

You speak as if 30 million people having better access to a physician-- and their doctor's visits being paid for through the insurance system rather than taxes and public ER's-- is a bad thing.

For someone who claims to understand business so well, your analysis (for lack of a better word) is way, way off.
Who's paying for that?

It just astounds me that so many can't wrap their brains around the fact that there is nothing that is "free." Everything costs, if not money, then time, space and resources.

What's the point of giving people a FICA payroll tax holiday and then increasing their insurance premiums $40 per month?

We aren't done by a long shot. There are still some 140+ regulations in the Federal Register that HHS has to issue its imperial edicts. And over the course of the next 24 months there will be dozens more imperial edicts that HHS will create and issue.

It's been about 1 year now, and I'm still waiting for one of the Big Brain Liberals to tell me exactly how much Obamacare will cost in 2014.

Funny thing is, none of you can. If you could, then you'd be the Darling of Wall Street. I could get you hooked up on the TV/radio talk-show circuit and the university and business lecture circuit. We'd be rich beyond the wildest dreams of avarice.

Understanding business....

Mircea

Quote:
Originally Posted by florida.bob View Post
I believe there is about 4 years of prep time. Increasing the number of Doctors will take more time, and the enrollment in Med Schools is up as well. By the way, why do you think Healthcare is one of the fastest growing job areas?
It won't be when Medicare collapses in 2018.

Laughing at the superior intellect...

Mircea

Quote:
Like Medicare and Medicaid, the doctors will have a choice to accept them or not. Lose money here and charge the paying clients more to make up for it, and the cost of healthcare rises again, and again.

Or refuse to accept them.
That's the wonderful thing about Liberals and the government-formerly-known-as-the-federal-government.

They just close their eyes and pretend that the cost of a doctor's office visit is the same in every single city in the US. Never mind the reality that it is not.

In some parts of the US, the cost of a doctor's office visit is only $15 to $25 because that is what the cost-of-living, labor market conditions and economic conditions say it should be.

In other parts of the US, the cost is $45 to $60, because that is what the cost-of-living, labor market conditions and economic conditions say it should be.

The government-formerly-known-as-the-federal-government ignores that reality and says a doctor's office visit costs $30 and that is all that Medicare/Medicaid/Obamacare will pay.

So what happens?

The doctors who normally charge $15 to $25 because that is what the market bears raise their rates to $30 and make a nice profit.

And *******s think that is a beautiful warm fuzzy feeling thing. Never mind the waste.

And then doctors in those markets that are forced to charge $45 to $60 have to turn away Medicare/Medicaid/Obamacare patients because they'll lose money.

And *******s think that is a beautiful warm fuzzy feeling thing. Never mind that people aren't being served.

Or worse, doctors in those markets that are forced to charge $45 to $60 might raise the rates of other services to make up for their financial losses. Let's say a blood test costs $25 in that market, and the doctor charges $30 and the government-formerly-known-as-the-federal-government has decreed from On High that it will pay $40, then the doctor will stop charging $30 and start charging $40.

And again, *******s think that is a beautiful warm fuzzy feeling thing. Never mind the waste.

Quote:
In the long run, it will put more in the ER's than their short term plan imagined.
The ERs can turn away people who do not have life-threatening conditions.

Watching health care costs rise....

Mircea

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffrow1 View Post
The health care mandate includes people with pre-existing conditions and any number of other people, not just Hispanics and African Americans with bling wheels and 5 babies. Did you know that Alpha?
I think the issue is that if you can afford to money for a tattoo, or cable/satellite, or internet, or cell-phone, then you can afford a doctor's office visit.

Mandating...

Mircea

Old 01-07-2012, 10:38 AM

12,149 posts, read 8,418,303 times
If you are already at full capacity, you might need to add resources. In the case of healthcare, most of the 30 million uninsured probably are part of the system now in some manner. Obamacare is just a new payment and coverage mechanism.

I think it will likely add millions of new visits to the doc for runny noses. In terms of critical care, I doubt it will add much. If you have a heart attack,
suffer a traumatic injury, or similar you are already treated today.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies