Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-10-2011, 04:03 PM

10,092 posts, read 8,210,076 times

Advertisements

I thought I'd start this round as we get closer to the holidays--the Thanksgiving thread was lovely, and I really enjoyed learning more about some of you as "real" people. As I always say, we have much more in common than the politics that sometimes divide us.

I have homemade potato and ham soup on the stove for dinner--amazingly enough, my entire family (including teenagers!) are all going to be home tonight. Everyone has been fighting colds, so it's a good night to curl up with comfort food and watch movies. It's warming up here--we had a week of subzero temperatures and heavy snow, but it looks like next week will be in the high 30s--I'm betting my kids will try to wear shorts to school (sigh).

I kind of missed this crazy board over the last few weeks. My elderly mother in law went into the hospital right after Thanksgiving with pneumonia, but after some major scares, she finally got out late this week and she's doing really well. She's staying with us until she gets a little stronger. I'm lucky--she's a wonderful person and has always been a second mom to me. I'm just grateful that she's feeling better.

What about you?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2011, 04:05 PM

9,848 posts, read 8,286,793 times
Preparing to go to Florida and then the Caribbean for a month on a LONG cruise.

All in my effort to help the economy. :-)

Old 12-10-2011, 04:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCCCB View Post
Preparing to go to Florida and then the Caribbean for a month on a LONG cruise.

All in my effort to help the economy. :-)
And i am REALLY REALLY jealous, lol! That's the kind of "stimulus package" I could go for about now. It's been pretty cold up here.

Old 12-10-2011, 04:08 PM

4,112 posts, read 4,477,180 times
I just put up my Christmas decorations. Now I'm going to relax and watch hangover 2 with my wife while my 6 month old son sleeps in my arms.

Old 12-10-2011, 04:10 PM

11,466 posts, read 19,358,545 times
Working night shift

Old 12-10-2011, 04:14 PM

7,814 posts, read 6,397,212 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by btsilver View Post
I just put up my Christmas decorations. Now I'm going to relax and watch hangover 2 with my wife while my 6 month old son sleeps in my arms.

Same here, except replace the wife and kid with a couple of beers.

Old 12-10-2011, 04:20 PM

45,438 posts, read 60,638,057 times
Watching the Christmas Elf From Hell (known for the other 11 months of the year as the normally well-balanced and placid Mrs. NBP) decorate the new tree while worrying about how it looks because it's a bit smaller than the old one and doesn't have room for her remaining 5 dozen decorations.

Old 12-10-2011, 04:23 PM

9,848 posts, read 8,286,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mb1547 View Post
And i am REALLY REALLY jealous, lol! That's the kind of "stimulus package" I could go for about now. It's been pretty cold up here.
My wife and I work CRAZY hours, about a combined 144 a week or so and a ton of pressure. We are off only 24 hours a week.
What's strange is that this traveling is part of our job. We are paid to be doing this and this is no expense of ours.

We were on a couple of cruises earlier this year. Several times to Vegas, Palm Springs. Long cruise back in April to the Caribbean and a long one through Canada and Alaska that featured private plane tours of glaciers, sites, use of float planes and such.

Strange situation, but it works for us. We wear a few hats and work long hours. Don't make tons of money, but the benefits are pretty good as your can see.
Like anyone else, it could end tomorrow, so we appreciate it now.

Old 12-10-2011, 04:45 PM

3,335 posts, read 2,661,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mb1547 View Post
I thought I'd start this round as we get closer to the holidays--the Thanksgiving thread was lovely, and I really enjoyed learning more about some of you as "real" people. As I always say, we have much more in common than the politics that sometimes divide us.

I have homemade potato and ham soup on the stove for dinner--amazingly enough, my entire family (including teenagers!) are all going to be home tonight. Everyone has been fighting colds, so it's a good night to curl up with comfort food and watch movies. It's warming up here--we had a week of subzero temperatures and heavy snow, but it looks like next week will be in the high 30s--I'm betting my kids will try to wear shorts to school (sigh).

I kind of missed this crazy board over the last few weeks. My elderly mother in law went into the hospital right after Thanksgiving with pneumonia, but after some major scares, she finally got out late this week and she's doing really well. She's staying with us until she gets a little stronger. I'm lucky--she's a wonderful person and has always been a second mom to me. I'm just grateful that she's feeling better.

What about you?
Wow! I love this, Thanks mb. Yes, that 'Thanksgiving Thread' was so attractive for many members to hear and see a lil ''Up Close and Personal'' insight into the interesting activities and Good things going on in each others lives. A friend used to tell me...when growing up, ''Son, accentuate the positive and eliminate the negative. That's what is neat about this Thread.

I'd luv to be at the dinner table enjoying some delish 'Ham and potato' soup! - Hey, ~~~Merry Christmas to All~~~

Last edited by quality guy; 12-10-2011 at 05:17 PM..

Old 12-10-2011, 04:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCCCB View Post
My wife and I work CRAZY hours, about a combined 144 a week or so and a ton of pressure. We are off only 24 hours a week.
What's strange is that this traveling is part of our job. We are paid to be doing this and this is no expense of ours.

We were on a couple of cruises earlier this year. Several times to Vegas, Palm Springs. Long cruise back in April to the Caribbean and a long one through Canada and Alaska that featured private plane tours of glaciers, sites, use of float planes and such.

Strange situation, but it works for us. We wear a few hats and work long hours. Don't make tons of money, but the benefits are pretty good as your can see.
Like anyone else, it could end tomorrow, so we appreciate it now.
Sounds like you deserve a working vacation, as long as you get a chance to relax.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies