Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2012, 12:18 PM

17,290 posts, read 29,296,135 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savoir Faire View Post
For the 3rd time, what race does "La Raza" support

Stop being dense, or start being intellectually honest. I've already answered your question:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TriMT7
Obviously, Hispanics are not a race. But in context for "Chicano studies" and used amongst "Mexicans" it signifies the "new race" in Mexico, caused primarily by mixing of indigenous and Spanish (and less acknowledged, African).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2012, 12:20 PM

11,531 posts, read 10,253,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TriMT7 View Post
Stop being dense, or start being intellectually honest. I've already answered your question:
Stop avoiding the question. You made a comment about a specific organization and you responded by referencing Mexicans. I asked you about a specific organization. Responding by saying in the Mexican community is avoiding the question.

I assume you are implying that La Raza shares these views? If so, can you show me where they have endorsed support for the "mestizo" race?

Old 01-07-2012, 12:31 PM

Quote:
Stop avoiding the question.
Stop avoiding the answer. The question, previously addressed, is "what race does La Raza support."

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savoir Faire
You made a comment about a specific organization and you responded by referencing Mexicans. I asked you about a specific organization. Responding by saying in the Mexican community is avoiding the question.

I assume you are implying that La Raza shares these views? If so, can you show me where they have endorsed support for the "mestizo" race?
In the context that NCLR uses it, “La Raza” it means “the people,” or “the Hispanic people of the New World” — people of Chicano (i.e. Mexican American) and Mexican descent and the Hispanic world, as well as mestizos who share Native American or national Hispanic heritage:

National Council of La Raza |

"La Raza" tries to weasel out of the historic and exclusionary concept of the phrase, by lamely having some hippy dippy "cosmic mixed people of the world" significance for the dopes who buy into that kind of nonsense.

Old 01-07-2012, 12:42 PM

11,531 posts, read 10,253,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TriMT7 View Post
In the context that NCLR uses it, “La Raza” it means “the people,” or “the Hispanic people of the New World” — people of Chicano (i.e. Mexican American) and Mexican descent and the Hispanic world, as well as mestizos who share Native American or national Hispanic heritage:

National Council of La Raza |

I clicked on the link and "La Raza" organization never makes such a claim that "La Raza" means Chicano's, mestizos, or people of Mexican descent. The bold part are your ideas and comments, not theirs.

Wanna try again? Show me a link to where "La Raza" supports a particular race. Just one link that's all I ask for, just one.

I'll be waiting....... and waiting... and waiting forever.

Old 01-07-2012, 01:39 PM

3,204 posts, read 2,856,782 times
Quote:
I clicked on the link and "La Raza" organization never makes such a claim that "La Raza" means Chicano's, mestizos, or people of Mexican descent. The bold part are your ideas and comments, not theirs.

Wanna try again? Show me a link to where "La Raza" supports a particular race. Just one link that's all I ask for, just one.

I haven't seen LaRaza fighting for the rights of the Germans or the Canadians that are in the country illegally. They focus on those from south of the border then scream racism when anyone tries to enforce any kind of LEGAL immigration.

Old 01-07-2012, 01:57 PM

Quote:

From the link provided:

What does the term “La Raza” mean?
The term “La Raza” has its origins in early 20th century Latin American literature and translates into English most closely as “the people” or, according to some scholars, “the Hispanic people of the New World.” The term was coined by Mexican scholar José Vasconcelos to reflect the fact that the people of Latin America are a mixture of many of the world’s races, cultures, and religions. Some people have mistranslated “La Raza” to mean “the race,” implying that it is a term meant to exclude others. In fact, the full term coined by Vasconcelos, “la raza cósmica,” meaning “the cosmic people,” was developed to reflect not purity but the mixture inherent in the Hispanic people. This is an inclusive concept, meaning that Hispanics share with all other peoples of the world a common heritage and destiny.

Thus, the only ones who have not been truthful in answering the question "what does La Raza" mean is mealy-mouthed La Raza itself. It's all doubletalk.

While acknowledging the term originally meant "Hispanic people of the New World".... the "mixed" peoples, they know this is not politically correct. They opt for a "race of the world" definition, and claim it is "inclusive."

Quite frankly, asking "La Raza" to explain why the use of their term is not "racist," and then ACCEPTING it without even the slightest skepticism is like believing an official explanation that KKK is a group that advances the rights of European peoples as citizens of the tapestry of the world.

By attempting to disregard the plain or original meaning and use of the term "la raza" to instead claim that it simply reflects how Hispanics are a "mix of everyone"... they nonetheless create a special designation for Hispanics: Hispanics are the race of people that are mixed. THAT's who they represent. The others - the "single race" people of non-Latin extraction, are NOT part of "La Raza." .... you can't have it both ways. Can't pretend to be "people of the world," while simultaneously being a Latino special interest group. Otherwise, you would join or start a group that is truly INCLUSIVE of everyone!

Common sense (at least for those who are not trying desperately to downplay the exclusionary affect of the use of the term "La Raza") supports this view.

Old 01-07-2012, 01:58 PM

17,468 posts, read 12,873,392 times
Quote:
For the 3rd time, what race does "La Raza" support
We are a bronze people with a bronze culture. Before the world, before all of North America, before all our brothers in the bronze continent, we are a nation, we are a union of free pueblos, we are Aztlan. For La Raza todo. Fuera de La Raza nada."

That closing two-sentence motto is chilling to everyone who values equal rights for all. It says: "For The Race everything. Outside The Race, nothing."

Same thing that Muslim Brotherhood think, didn't know they had this much in common!!

Old 01-07-2012, 02:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3~Shepherds View Post
We are a bronze people with a bronze culture. Before the world, before all of North America, before all our brothers in the bronze continent, we are a nation, we are a union of free pueblos, we are Aztlan. For La Raza todo. Fuera de La Raza nada."

That closing two-sentence motto is chilling to everyone who values equal rights for all. It says: "For The Race everything. Outside The Race, nothing."

Same thing that Muslim Brotherhood think, didn't know they had this much in common!!

Technically, that quote comes from Mecha, the radical wing of the "La Raza" movement.

Intellectually dishonest people will contend that TECHNICALLY, "La Raza" (as an organization) does not support that view.

However, the fact that groups like Mecha use "La Raza" in such a motto shows that "La Raza" in TRUE Chicano context, is NOT an inclusive term, and is meant to signify a distinct and identifiable population of people, only.

Old 01-07-2012, 02:14 PM

3,064 posts, read 2,629,126 times
Good.

Old 01-07-2012, 02:25 PM

17,468 posts, read 12,873,392 times
It's already in California schools.........What is Aztlan, Raza, and MEChA

The myth of Aztlan can best be explained by California's Santa Barbara School District's Chicano Studies textbook, "The Mexican American Heritage" by East Los Angeles high school teacher Carlos Jimenez. On page 84 there is a redrawn map of Mexico and the United States, showing Mexico with a full one-third more territory, all of it taken back from the United States. On page 107, it says "Latinos are now realizing that the power to control Aztlan may once again be in their hands."

Shown are the "repatriated" eight or nine states including Colorado, California, Arizona, Texas, Utah, New Mexico, Oregon and parts of Washington. According to the school text, Mexico is supposed to regain these territories as they rightly belong to the "mythical" homeland of Aztlan. On page 86, it says "...a free-trade agreement...promises...if Mexico is to allow the U.S. to invest in Mexico...then Mexico should...be allowed to freely export...Mexican labor. Obviously this would mean a re-evaluation of the border between the two countries as we know it today." Jimenez's Aztlan myth is further amplified at MEChA club meetings held at Santa Barbara Public Schools..

The book, paid for by American tax payers, cites no references or footnotes, leaving school children totally dependent on their teacher to separate fact from opinion and political propaganda. The book teaches separatism, victimization, nationalism, completely lacks patriotism towards the United States, and promotes an open border policy. The book is 100 percent editorial -- the opinions of the author.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies