Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2012, 07:37 PM

19,893 posts, read 18,444,477 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MIKEETC View Post
That would make blackjack a racist game!

Clever answer! good one.

Old 01-07-2012, 07:44 PM

6,022 posts, read 7,829,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony45 View Post
I think the time to label people "black" or "white" is past. Why can't we simply be considered either a light skinned male or female or a dark skinned male or female?

If it's a middle eastern person they are a "dark skinned male with middle eastern features"

An African-American (time to kill that label as well) should be a "dark skinned male with African features". I mean how ridiculous is it to call them "African-American"? I've seen people call dark skinned folks "African-American" who weren't even American!

silly!!! people in the middle east are called whatever color they are sometimes called brown, sometimes color is not needed and there are people of african descent in the middle east that is fact there are Caucasians in the middle east. they may get labeled african. or other ethnic variations..

as far as african american its just an ethnic name for american blacks, there are many types of blacks here and they also use ethnic names along with national origin besides them being black same can be said of whites in america who live in louisiana who are cajun or those in the Appalachians etc

Old 01-07-2012, 07:50 PM

774 posts, read 1,164,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joebaldknobber View Post
If a person says the word black; is he or she a racist?
You must be reading "101 Dumb-Assed Questions". Throw it away and read something that doesn't make you sound so stupid.

Old 01-07-2012, 08:35 PM

4,593 posts, read 9,197,532 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by calipoppy View Post
I know this post wasn't meant to be funny but it reminds me of something that happened between a group of friends...

A few years ago when everyone was on the "No carbs" kick I was out to lunch with friends (one was a Latina, the other one White) and my cousin (who is Black like me). This friend (Latina) had lost weight on the no carbs diet and was telling us the rules...."no white bread, no white sugar, no pasta, no white potatoes...no white foods, they are bad, terrible, etc."

My White friend told us a little later made a joke about it saying that she looked around at us and felt "weird" after all of the "white" food is bad talk. She said that during the conversation it actually made her have a tinge of self consciousness about herself being "White" and hearing "white" being connected to "bad". The rest of us laughed so hard at her "white is bad" freak-out moment. On the one hand it was really funny but on the other hand she never really has to hear about "white" being connected with anything "bad", ever.
Interesting story

If with some white food products the only case where she feel a tinge of self consciousness, then I could only imagine her self-awareness would've been off the chain if she were black or dark skin, and heard more negativity when it comes to the color black.

Looking at most of the comments, most have taken a comical approach to the question. I guess since we already have a bunch of threads with black this and black that, another thread about blackness just doesn't warrant seriousness or intellectual stimulation for many folks. I find the question a bit philosophical-- not literally, but the generally idea of black being a negative. I don't see how merely saying black is racist, but I do acknowledge the word black has been a symbol for misery, depression, and mysterious in a bad or evil kind of way in Western culture for centuries. It's one of the reasons why I like African-American more than Black or Black-American. And though I don't mind being addressed as a black person, I don't see much logic behind the label and view African-American as a more fitting/accurate label to describe my heritage.

Last edited by Chicagoland60426; 01-07-2012 at 09:30 PM..

Old 01-07-2012, 08:57 PM
jw2

2,028 posts, read 3,266,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicagoland60426 View Post
No.....

However, the word black was, and still is, used as a symbol that indicates depression, negativity, or something that is mysteriously dark & evil in Western culture. Examples: black magic, Black Friday(discounts), black cat superstition, wearing black at funerals.
If a company goes in the black (as opposed to red), are you saying that is bad?

I have never heard anyone say they felt Black Friday meant discounts let alone that discounts were bad.

And associating 'black' with 'dark' is not really anyone's doing now is it?

Old 01-07-2012, 09:22 PM

4,593 posts, read 9,197,532 times
Quote:
jw2;22445225 If a company goes in the black (as opposed to red), are you saying that is bad?
If a company goes in the black, more than likely the company is closing shop(If you're businessman, that is the last thing you'd want to happen), probably not doing nearly as well as it use to, or has gone underground, which more than likely is doing some illegal stuff. See black market

Quote:
I have never heard anyone say they felt Black Friday meant discounts let alone that discounts were bad.
Then I guess you never notice that prices go down(negative in mathematics, in case you forgot) right after a major consumer orgy holidays like Xmas and Thanksgiving. And ironic enough, given that it is called Black Friday, in recent years we always hear about stampedes, and people being vicious resulting in major injuries to death.

Quote:
And associating 'black' with 'dark' is not really anyone's doing now is it
Well, black is dark; associating black with dark is unavoidable.

Last edited by Chicagoland60426; 01-07-2012 at 09:41 PM..

Old 01-07-2012, 11:49 PM

8,732 posts, read 6,782,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by california-jewel View Post
That is a line i use quite often. You said it, no one of us are better then the next, because we do all bleed red.

I think it does not matter who saves your life when you are in the service, because we are all the same. Some people look at this differently, i do not.
I like that you said that, i say that truthfully quite often, my friends here me say that line.
I also think when you life has to be saved and your in the militarty, does not matter what party your affiliated with either!
You bring to mind a very funny incident that had taken place many years ago. While working in a law firm I had a very close work buddy, a black woman during my time there - about 10 years of so. She had the greatest sense of humor and we would laugh ourselves silly because our humor was pretty high.

A secretary within the firm sends out an email asking if anyone with type XX blood was willing to donate blood as she was going to have some serious surgery and she wanted to have blood of that type available for her in the event something went wrong. My friend gets in touch with her and volunteers to donate blood on her behalf. Other woman, very grateful. My friend gets a call from this woman to she would pass by to thank her and give her the details. When the other woman (white) gets to my friend's desk she immediately told that it was OK she had plenty of people who were willing to donate, thanks anyway. Pretty obvious huh? When my friend was relaying this back to me, laughing and discussing the stupidity of the woman, asked me, with a very straight face: Did she think she was going to wake up craving watermelon? I almost fell off my chair laughing.

Which makes one wonder: if a racist was in need of something surgerical wise, that would improve the quality of their life or save their life, does the person it comes from who is among the group that they direct their racism towards, really matter? No different if a vegan/a religious person was in need of a pig valve. Would you rather die because the source that saves you is against your diet or religion? (This would exclude JW as I am somewhat familiar with their beliefs)

Do people who have firm beliefs (be them good or bad) ask the ethnicity of the donor? Would a white racist turn down a kidney that came from a black person, hispanic or Muslim, etc., if it can save them?

Old 01-08-2012, 03:00 AM

323 posts, read 321,672 times
Back the day they called them colored guys...

Old 01-08-2012, 03:04 AM

323 posts, read 321,672 times
Been to a bar and ask who has the pool table and he answers the colored guy in the bathroom. That was a word I knew,l but never thought I hear it again. Yes I laughed my ass off, cuz it was old fashion and uncommon now.

Old 01-08-2012, 04:44 AM

341 posts, read 902,607 times
Yes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies