Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-10-2012, 09:30 AM

11,466 posts, read 19,321,678 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by EinsteinsGhost View Post
Oh no I forgot about all these quakes in Ca. I guess fracking caused them
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2012, 12:42 PM

5,548 posts, read 16,052,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldengrain View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by mortimer
If fracking causes earthquakes, wouldn't that be a desireable side-effect?
How so, praytell?
Earthquakes are a result of stresses that build up over time.

The more time the stress builds up, the larger the earthquake.
The larger the earthquake, the more death and destruction that happens.

If it were possible to release such stress by fracking or anything else, for that matter, then it would
be desireable to do so to prevent stresses from building up to the point that buildings could fall over.

Ohio has a history of earthquakes that are capable of knocking over chimneys. Wouldn't it be better to just
have 10 "quakes" every year that rattle dishes than one that caused structural damage every 10 years or so?

Now, apply that logic to Hati - which recently experienced a large quake that killed a quarter-million people.

Apply that logic to San Francisco which is more than 40 years overdue for another great quake.

How about Tokyo? It's the same thing.

Do we know how much stress has built up in the Memphis ( New Madrid ) area?

Note that if you don't understand the logic above, you are not qualified to be in the debate.

Old 01-14-2012, 01:01 PM

29,409 posts, read 21,967,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RememberMee View Post
This new villain is about to mess up drinking water in the county I live. Ground waters provides drinking water for 99.99% of county' residents but 70 wells in the county can be used to dump the toxic liquid waste from fracking. There are some serious offers. A few well owners will cash in and move on, the rest of us will "enjoy" proprietary chemicals in our water. Evil of modern energy consumption will be "unleashed" thousands miles away from my dirty water well. Sounds like a fair deal to me.

BTW, It's January 07, 2012, it feels like it's April in Ohio, local warming hoax doesn't fade away, wettest on records 2011 assures us that Rush & Co figured that global warming conspiracy out.
Learn the difference between weather and climate changes.

Old 01-14-2012, 01:02 PM

29,981 posts, read 42,856,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rock_chalk View Post
I think we need to face up to the fact that Americans are gluttonous pigs who consume obscene and unnecessary amounts of energy.
How dare we produce the food that feeds so much of the world! Back to the dark ages!

I tried to confirm the OP's claim on the USGS site but came up empty. Maybe some definitive link to this scientific conclusion?

Old 01-14-2012, 01:03 PM

I haven't heard about fracking around the ring of fire. Must be a lot of drillers out there I don't know about. All those quakes and all. Maybe Al Gore has a secret drilling team led by Bruce Willis?

Or more likely the evil Bush refitted his hurricane machine with a earthquake tip and is unleashing it on Ohio. He hates buckeyes don't ya know. I think Kanye West says so.

Old 01-14-2012, 01:21 PM

504 posts, read 1,268,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifelongMOgal View Post
How dare we produce the food that feeds so much of the world! Back to the dark ages!
Don't give me that tired excuse. The ag sector makes up a bit less than 2% of US energy usage (Source). Americans consume a variety of energy-intensive products. My claim was not restricted to agriculture.

But, if you insist, corn requires not only energy but also a significant amount of water resources. Where does our corn go?

"Of the 14.4 billion bushels [of corn] produced in the United States in 2007, 42% went to animal feed, 22% to produce ethanol, 17% to export, 9% for domestic food uses, and 10% surplus."
Source

Of course, the McFatties need their corn-fed hamburgers with plasticized American cheese on top. Who am I to complain?

Old 01-14-2012, 01:30 PM

Your link is out of date.

"For the first time ever, more of the corn crop may go into gas tanks than into the stomachs of cattle and poultry destined for kitchen tables.
The prediction drew little response last week when it was released by the USDA in its Crop Production and Supply/Demand Report for the 2011 crop season. The USDA kept its prediction for ethanol production demand for corn at 5.05 billion, but lowered demand projections for livestock feed by 100 million bushels to 5 billion bushels."

For first time, more corn used for ethanol than livestock | TheGazette

Not to mention much of that ethanol is being exported.

Old 01-14-2012, 01:38 PM

6,721 posts, read 5,192,978 times
Nice try, you work for a gas company or driller? Maybe we should pollute the air and water faster so we can get used to breathing and drinking the filth sooner. It is amazing what industry will try selling us, telling us it is good for us.

Tell you what, go test that theory of yours, go down in your basement and take a sledge hammer to your cinder block foundation walls. That should make them safer in an earth quake.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mortimer View Post
Earthquakes are a result of stresses that build up over time.

The more time the stress builds up, the larger the earthquake.
The larger the earthquake, the more death and destruction that happens.

If it were possible to release such stress by fracking or anything else, for that matter, then it would
be desireable to do so to prevent stresses from building up to the point that buildings could fall over.

Ohio has a history of earthquakes that are capable of knocking over chimneys. Wouldn't it be better to just
have 10 "quakes" every year that rattle dishes than one that caused structural damage every 10 years or so?

Now, apply that logic to Hati - which recently experienced a large quake that killed a quarter-million people.

Apply that logic to San Francisco which is more than 40 years overdue for another great quake.

How about Tokyo? It's the same thing.

Do we know how much stress has built up in the Memphis ( New Madrid ) area?

Note that if you don't understand the logic above, you are not qualified to be in the debate.

Old 01-14-2012, 01:47 PM

29,981 posts, read 42,856,313 times
Quote:
Don't give me that tired excuse. The ag sector makes up a bit less than 2% of US energy usage (Source). Americans consume a variety of energy-intensive products. My claim was not restricted to agriculture.

But, if you insist, corn requires not only energy but also a significant amount of water resources. Where does our corn go?

"Of the 14.4 billion bushels [of corn] produced in the United States in 2007, 42% went to animal feed, 22% to produce ethanol, 17% to export, 9% for domestic food uses, and 10% surplus."
Source

Of course, the McFatties need their corn-fed hamburgers with plasticized American cheese on top. Who am I to complain?
And my claim was not restricted to corn. Of course agriculture does not comprise most of the US enerty usage. However, it, along with trucking, are the most likely new users of natural gas to help reduce our nation's dependency on foreign oil for cultivation and transportation.

As to the rest of your post.

Old 01-14-2012, 01:55 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,745,522 times
Quote:
I ride a bicycle or walk. I wear a sweater during winter. I almost never eat beef and usually not other meats.

Not that this is relevant, even if I were a hypocrite that wouldn't make my point wrong.
so then you grow your own food, heat your house with energy you created, made your own electricity, clothes, furniture, built your own house with materials you made yourself? you may not realize it, but you use far more energy than you realize, which makes you a big part of that gluttonous american that uses far too much of the worlds energy supply.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies