Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-15-2012, 03:07 PM

11,431 posts, read 19,005,607 times

Advertisements

Why should a CEO or anyone get taxes at the much less capital gains tax rate instead of "ordinary income" rate like in a savings acct, CD, wages?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2012, 03:08 PM

14,975 posts, read 16,466,589 times
Because it's already been "earned" as income. The income invested in the first place was already taxed and investment HAS to be encouraged.

I wouldn't be opposed to making income and capital gains taxes the same as long as they were both no higher than current capital gains taxes (15%).

Old 01-15-2012, 03:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by afoigrokerkok View Post
Because it's already been "earned" as income. The income invested in the first place was already taxed.

Furthermore, investment has to be encouraged.
so has income derived from a person's savings account, yet we are taxed on that.
Wouldn't investment still occur even if it weren't "encouraged"? This is the same argument that
the govt subsidizes its favorite groups (tax breaks for families, college education, homeowners, etc)

Old 01-15-2012, 03:11 PM

14,975 posts, read 16,466,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wehotex View Post
so has income derived from a person's savings account, yet we are taxed on that.
That's true, but investment is critical.

Like I said in my earlier post, I wouldn't care if all income (including through investment, savings, etc.) was considered income and taxed at the same rate, as long as that rate is not higher than current capital gains taxes regardless of income level.

Old 01-15-2012, 03:11 PM

25,619 posts, read 36,712,723 times
Quote:
Wouldn't investment still occur even if it weren't "encouraged"? This is the same argument that
the govt subsidizes its favorite groups.
Really? you have earned enough from a savings account to be taxed on it?

Old 01-15-2012, 03:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldogdad View Post
Really? you have earned enough from a savings account to be taxed on it?
lol, yes, even at today's piddly low interest rates, I'm still taxed on it.

Old 01-15-2012, 03:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by afoigrokerkok View Post
That's true, but investment is critical.

Like I said in my earlier post, I wouldn't care if all income (including through investment, savings, etc.) was considered income and taxed at the same rate, as long as that rate is not higher than current capital gains taxes regardless of income level.
If nobody paid more than current capital gains rates, then you're talking about another govt shortfall. Given the current atmosphere where neither party will cut entitlements or defense, just who would make up the shortfall?
Why does a "true" capitalist need a de facto "government subsidy" to continue their investments? Wouldn't they still invest even if they were taxed at a higher rate (ordinary income rate)?

Old 01-15-2012, 03:19 PM

6,137 posts, read 4,863,104 times
Quote:
Why does a "true" capitalist need a de facto "government subsidy" to continue their investments?
Lol. A government subsidy? The lefty thought process never ceases to amaze me.

Quote:
Wouldn't they still invest even if they were taxed at a higher rate (ordinary income rate)?
You act as if it's a black and white thing. The higher the rate, the less the ROI, the lower the "screw it" cutoff.

Old 01-15-2012, 03:25 PM

7,545 posts, read 8,329,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SamBarrow View Post
Haha, I know! Apparently, wehotex has not a clue what the definition of subsidy is.

Quote:
A subsidy is money given by a government to help support a business or person the market does not support
Subsidy - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 01-15-2012, 03:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamBarrow View Post

You act as if it's a black and white thing. The higher the rate, the less the ROI, the lower the "screw it" cutoff.

Why isn't it a subsidy? Govt is encouraging ppl (subsidizing) to act in a certain way. So what if the the ROI is less? Ordinary workers must grapple with the same sort of taxation. The more we work, the more they take. Nobody comes to their defense. Why are the capital gains folk such "sacred cows"?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies