Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-08-2012, 09:56 AM

69,368 posts, read 64,108,083 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzards27 View Post
One thing I do like about Paul is his promise to only take $39k if elected. Where he falls short is not calling on the inhabitants if this country's board rooms to do the same.

CEO pay should be linked to performance, based on performance the last few years they all should be making minimum wage right now.
using your argument that pay should be linked to performance, what can we summarize from Pauls promise to only take a salary of $39K? That he wont be performing very well?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2012, 09:59 AM

8,560 posts, read 11,214,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrapperJohn View Post
Except for union employees, who should get mandatory COLA's, pay raises, and pension protection...regardless of how the company, municipality, or government agency they work for is doing.
What do they get when the Union's investments fail? Who is responsible for Union fraud? I'm certain you do NOT mean other citizens.

Old 01-08-2012, 10:12 AM

9,848 posts, read 8,281,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldengrain View Post
The US should be setting this trend, encouraging fairer treatment of employees and social upward mobility, in which we used to be the world leader. No more.

FTSE 100 company bosses enjoyed a 49 per cent rise in salaries in the last financial year, while their companies only saw a 3 per cent rise in value.
It is no business of yours unless you are a voting stock holder or on a board of directors as to what is paid to a CEO or worker for their job.
The market dictates the pay.

If you are worth more you get more.
If you are NOT worth more and if there was a salary bubble bursting, then you are deserving of less pay whether a worker or CEO.
If it is a private sector job, it is up to the market.

On the other side, the government unions should be no more. The millions for pensions should be taxed back to our treasury and wages for government workers should be at most 80% of what is average for the private market.
They are living on our tax dollars and breaking the bank.
There are also 90% too many government employees right now. Back in the 60s we had maybe 1 in a 100 working for government, now it is about 1-10. That is not sustainable.

At least if a private company goes down it should be on the back of that company; with over government employment and their unions you have a whole country that could go down.

Old 01-08-2012, 10:21 AM

6,721 posts, read 5,201,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
Why should he or any member have the government have any say with what I do with my money?
You ever have a job where one of your co-workers under performed, was lazy and/or did not do they job they were hired and paid to do? As a member of that team did you cover for and allow that under performing working to skate along.

If a board room drives the company into the ground they failed to do their job. No difference than a line worker, demoted them or fire them, you don't give them bonuses and raises for failing.

Old 01-08-2012, 10:30 AM

1,126 posts, read 2,692,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post
Corrupt lawmakers and bungling beurocrats should have no say in the compensation of individuals in private industry.
I take your point. But I hope those in the banking or other industry don't have the nerve to ask for bailouts once things start to look ugly.

Old 01-08-2012, 10:40 AM

24,488 posts, read 41,141,698 times
Quote:
You ever have a job where one of your co-workers under performed, was lazy and/or did not do they job they were hired and paid to do? As a member of that team did you cover for and allow that under performing working to skate along.
Yes.
Quote:

If a board room drives the company into the ground they failed to do their job. No difference than a line worker, demoted them or fire them, you don't give them bonuses and raises for failing.
But who is to decide that? Certainly not the government. It's the folks who are paying that decide how much and under what circumstances to pay.

Why should the government have any control of what people do with their money?

Old 01-08-2012, 11:52 AM

6,721 posts, read 5,201,923 times
Quote:
Yes.

But who is to decide that? Certainly not the government. It's the folks who are paying that decide how much and under what circumstances to pay.

Why should the government have any control of what people do with their money?
Where did I say anything about the government? That is your straw man, not mine.

But since you raise the government.... If raises and bonuses shouldn't be linked to performance in the private section, how about the government? Shouldn't the government learn a thing or two from the private sector? Then there shouldn't be a problem when they fo.

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2009...gency-falters/

Last edited by buzzards27; 01-08-2012 at 12:00 PM..

Old 01-08-2012, 12:05 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,141,698 times
Quote:
Where did I say anything about the government? That is your straw man, not mine.

But since you raise the government.... If raises and bonuses shouldn't be linked to performance in the private section, how about the government? Shouldn't the government learn a thing or two from the private sector? Then there shouldn't be a problem when they fo.

Postmaster General Gets Pay Bonus As Agency Falters | Fox News
You brought up Ron Paul calling on CEOs. Paiul = government if he was to be elected.

That postmaster probably should not have received a bonus, but I can't say fpr sure.

Old 01-08-2012, 12:38 PM

12,149 posts, read 8,418,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tofurkey View Post
What do they get when the Union's investments fail? Who is responsible for Union fraud? I'm certain you do NOT mean other citizens.
I'm not sure of your point. If the Union investments fail they get bailed out. If private retirement plans fail, they get nothing.

In the event of union fraud, they should suffer.

Private citizens should not bail out anybody.

Old 01-08-2012, 12:41 PM

8,418 posts, read 7,414,580 times
Quote:
I am not in a position to respond in regards to the "abuse" you mentioned. I neither debating it or agreeing with it.

However, since it is offtopic, I didn't bother researching it either.
I didn't bring up the proxy issue, I merely responded to it.

I take it that your 'ditto' approving of the illusion of the power of share-holder proxy votes is something that you cannot defend so you choose to ignore your own convictions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies