Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-08-2012, 06:59 AM

12,322 posts, read 17,134,528 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
So you would accept insults like that from a business that takes your money ? And you would go back there and continue to do business with them ?
Many do not see anything wrong with it. If it happened to them, It would be a biblical disaster. Yes, worse things have happened to people. But for this to happen at a business, Esp a large chain is a bit shocking.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2012, 07:00 AM

13,285 posts, read 15,304,138 times
Quote:
I don't know. Call Papa John's HR dept and ask them. Sometimes all it takes is common sense to know not to insult customers or call them names construed to be racist.

What if she wrote "tall n*gger" about a Black man ? Still "harmless" ?
I've lived in a few places in the US, and in the world outside the US, where it was appropriate to refer to me as "the white guy". I'm also pretty sure that SOME people used that phrase as an insult.

Intent matters

Old 01-08-2012, 07:02 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,481,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by D. Scott View Post
Many do not see anything wrong with it. If it happened to them, It would be a biblical disaster. Yes, worse things have happened to people. But for this to happen at a business, Esp a large chain is a bit shocking.
Well justice prevailed. The employee got axed and the manager has to hold "sensitivity training" for his employees.

Glad to see that higher up in the franchise they realize that you don't insult the customers with the excuse "harmless joke".

Old 01-08-2012, 07:04 AM

8,732 posts, read 6,782,122 times
Quote:
What if she wrote "tall n*gger" about a Black man ? Still "harmless" ?
That's already been covered.

Old 01-08-2012, 07:07 AM

Quote:
So you would accept insults like that from a business that takes your money ? And you would go back there and continue to do business with them ?
I don't hold a company responsible for what one individual does. No more than I would hold a family responsible for the behavior of one member.

Old 01-08-2012, 07:11 AM

Quote:
Well justice prevailed. The employee got axed and the manager has to hold "sensitivity training" for his employees.

Glad to see that higher up in the franchise they realize that you don't insult the customers with the excuse "harmless joke".
So they learned something from this, at the expense of an employee who probably never received any sensititivity training. Maybe her insensitivity is not an isolated situation.

Who said it was a harmless joke?

Old 01-08-2012, 07:23 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,481,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by softblueyz View Post
So they learned something from this, at the expense of an employee who probably never received any sensititivity training. Maybe her insensitivity is not an isolated situation.

Who said it was a harmless joke?
I must have misread. It was "business as usual" rather than harmless joke.

Papa John’s pizza ‘lady chinky eyes’ slur goes viral - NYPOST.com
A manager — who would identify himself only as Jerome — at the cheesy chain restaurant on Broadway near West 142nd Street said the slur was just business as usual.

“It’s a busy place, and it was a way to identify her and her order,” he said. “You know, we do stuff like that sometimes. We’ll write ‘the lady with the blue eyes’ or ‘the guy in the green shirt.’ ”

He said the cashier, a teen, meant no harm.

Old 01-08-2012, 07:41 AM

4,882 posts, read 5,014,802 times
The girl went out of her way to type that on the receipt. Do they have to enter something on each receipt asking for a name? Can it be left blank? The woman could've just shown it to the manager and let him handle it without any media attention. On the flip side, the cashier could've not typed that on the receipt.

Old 01-08-2012, 08:28 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,698,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by filihok View Post
I've lived in a few places in the US, and in the world outside the US, where it was appropriate to refer to me as "the white guy". I'm also pretty sure that SOME people used that phrase as an insult.

Intent matters
I asked a guy from Hong Kong once what they call us in Chinese and he said usually "round eyes" or "big noses".

I think over-sensitivity is too childish. We all have some racial trait someone somewhere might comment about.

Old 01-08-2012, 10:54 AM

674 posts, read 698,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
I asked a guy from Hong Kong once what they call us in Chinese and he said usually "round eyes" or "big noses".

I think over-sensitivity is too childish. We all have some racial trait someone somewhere might comment about.
Yup. When I was in Asia I was just called the black one repeatedly. I didn't care.......
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies