Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-08-2012, 01:57 PM

4,520 posts, read 4,209,898 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrea3821 View Post
As the wife of the owner of a quick service restaurant, I can say it is fire-worthy for sure. As the assistant manager, if one of my employees did that, you would never hear me making excuses, it would be condemnation of the behavior and apologies all around.

It is common practice to ask someone their name, not put down "lady with blue shirt." That is ridiculous on its face and this operating partner should know that. No sensitivity training, the girl is 16 and she's a cashier, not some executive or business person in a years-long career.

For some reason it seems acceptable to poke fun at Asians and Hispanics and even at whites, but if you do it to a black person, you're a racist. This country is sure screwy.
Who has said this is acceptable? Even the manager at Papa Johns said it was not acceptable.

re: saying racist things to black people. Well, blame history for that....Race relations between whites and blacks have been screwed up since the "founding" of the US.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2012, 01:58 PM

8,806 posts, read 6,112,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by filihok View Post
Sometimes, as ridiculous as it sounds, people really just don't know better.

Ronald Johnson knows this girl better than anyone who will comment in this thread. If he says that the girl wasn't trying to offend the customer then I believe him.
He might know her better than us but generally, if someone owns multiple stores, they DO NOT know the employees of the stores, just the management staff.

Old 01-08-2012, 02:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by filihok View Post
Johnson can fire this girl, or he can give her a second chance and explain to her why this was unacceptable.

Which option do you think gives the girl a better chance of improving her job skills in the future?
This has gotten national attention. I'm pretty sure she knows what she did wrong. It's pretty simple, you don't make racial comments about your customers...lesson learned, hopefully.

Old 01-08-2012, 02:01 PM

5,064 posts, read 5,730,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChocLot View Post
I agree that the employee should have been fired. 16 or not; offensive is offensive. I don't care about being guilty of being too PC...you can't use racial slurs and get away with it. If the teen was ignorant of how this term was offensive...well now, with her firing, she knows. Lesson learned the hard way.

I'm not for anyone being racist towards anyone else. And KRISTINsf, just so you know, your posts throughout this thread throwing around slurs regarding black people have been completely disgusting. Did you see any black person on this thread defending this teen's behavior? Just what was your motivation in going on as you did? It seems like you just wanted an excuse to post this offensive *****. I am highly offended in the way in which you chose to go about defending your point. Very classless and tasteless. You are no better than the 16 year old you are so harshly criticizing. She, at least, has youth as her defense. What's yours?

Great post! I completely agree,

And how in the world is Mr. Johnson smart enough to own 5 franchises in Manahattan before the age of 40, but too stupid to know that allowing teenagers to physically describe the customers on the receipts is a bad plan?

Hopefully they will make the logical switch to using customer's names.

Old 01-08-2012, 02:04 PM

4,050 posts, read 3,960,239 times
Quote:
I agree that the employee should have been fired. 16 or not; offensive is offensive. I don't care about being guilty of being too PC...you can't use racial slurs and get away with it. If the teen was ignorant of how this term was offensive...well now, with her firing, she knows. Lesson learned the hard way.

I'm not for anyone being racist towards anyone else. And KRISTINsf, just so you know, your posts throughout this thread throwing around slurs regarding black people have been completely disgusting. Did you see any black person on this thread defending this teen's behavior? Just what was your motivation in going on as you did? It seems like you just wanted an excuse to post this offensive sh!@t. I am highly offended in the way in which you chose to go about defending your point. Very classless and tasteless. You are no better than the 16 year old you are so harshly criticizing. She, at least, has youth as her defense. What's yours?
You are bright enough to know this post wasn't placed here to open dialogue, it was posted so that the op could start some Internet *****.

Strange how her only descriptive are ni66er and monkey, no "dark skinned", "big lipped", or "bug eyed", no other epitaphs of a similar nature to ***** eyes.

Just the immediate "ni66er" response.

Naw, this thread was meant to start *****.

Old 01-08-2012, 02:09 PM

3,085 posts, read 5,240,619 times
Whatever valid point the OP may have had has been thoroughly obscured by his/her repeated and flagrant use of anti-black slurs in "support" of this point. This has become less about the offense itself than about the OP's vindictive desire to exact verbal "justice" on blacks "who should have known better", a desire that is probably reflective of the OP's own deep-seated feelings about blacks as a whole.

Old 01-08-2012, 02:15 PM

7,126 posts, read 8,655,613 times
I don't think the color of the worker has anything to do with it...however it was upper management that opened the can of worms by referring to the employee as an Urban youth!I bet if he could do it all over again he would have left that term out and just fired her!

Old 01-08-2012, 02:20 PM

1,392 posts, read 2,134,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andrea3821 View Post
As the wife of the owner of a quick service restaurant, I can say it is fire-worthy for sure. As the assistant manager, if one of my employees did that, you would never hear me making excuses, it would be condemnation of the behavior and apologies all around.

It is common practice to ask someone their name, not put down "lady with blue shirt." That is ridiculous on its face and this operating partner should know that. No sensitivity training, the girl is 16 and she's a cashier, not some executive or business person in a years-long career.

For some reason it seems acceptable to poke fun at Asians and Hispanics and even at whites, but if you do it to a black person, you're a racist. This country is sure screwy.
Blacks generally don't have any powerful outside party defending them. Asians at least have China, Japan and South Korea (all powerful trading partners) to defend their mistreatment in foreign countries. Mexicans have Mexico (a massive trading partner of the USA) to defend them when they are mistreated and Mexico usually does defend their interests esp. against the Border Patrol. Note, I am not defending the bizarre double standards.

Old 01-08-2012, 02:20 PM

Quote:
Who has said this is acceptable? Even the manager at Papa Johns said it was not acceptable.

re: saying racist things to black people. Well, blame history for that....Race relations between whites and blacks have been screwed up since the "founding" of the US.
That's my entire point. It shouldn't be acceptable. You should have read the entire post before getting your panties in a wad.

Old 01-08-2012, 02:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by X14Freak View Post
Blacks generally don't have any powerful outside party defending them. Asians at least have China, Japan and South Korea (all powerful trading partners) to defend their mistreatment in foreign countries. Mexicans have Mexico (a massive trading partner of the USA) to defend them when they are mistreated and Mexico usually does defend their interests esp. against the Border Patrol. Note, I am not defending the bizarre double standards.
Mmm. Right. I'm Cuban. Who is defending me?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies