Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-08-2012, 06:31 PM

29,939 posts, read 39,464,356 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Common Anomaly View Post
Absolutely. Voters care more about the rate of change in unemployment than the actual unemployment.

I have been saying this for awhile (not here, obviously). If the unemployment rate drops below 7%, then Obama will be a shoe in. Heck, even if it drops below 8%, it will help him and make it more difficult for a Republican to win the Oval Office.

However, if the UE rate starts to climb, then Obama will have a much tougher challenge keeping his job.
And what's going to happen to the discouraged unemployed if they start seeing the UE rate drop? They re-enter looking for work and they'll increase the UE %.

The labor participation rate at this point is the lowest it's been since 1984.

http://data.bls.gov/cgi-bin/surveymost?ln
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2012, 06:33 PM

45,226 posts, read 26,443,162 times
I would hope voters won't be fooled by one oft lied about number when deciding who to cast their ballot for.

Old 01-08-2012, 06:35 PM

4,991 posts, read 4,505,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post
I would hope voters won't be fooled by one oft lied about number when deciding who to cast their ballot for.
I would hope voters don't vote based on any one particular thing.

Old 01-08-2012, 08:24 PM

14,975 posts, read 16,461,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frozenyo View Post
I would hope voters don't vote based on any one particular thing.
I would as well, but obviously this is the biggest issue in this election.

Old 01-08-2012, 08:25 PM

14,975 posts, read 16,461,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJon3475 View Post
And what's going to happen to the discouraged unemployed if they start seeing the UE rate drop? They re-enter looking for work and they'll increase the UE %.
Yep. This is why I don't think there will be significant improvements in the UE rate even if the economy does improve significantly (not that I expect it to).

Old 01-08-2012, 08:39 PM

9,982 posts, read 13,762,061 times
Interesting hypothesis, we will see in November 2012!

If the Rs choose Romney, I do think the economy will be important. Regardless of what people think of him, Romney does seem like a shrewd businessman, and it Mr. O cannot pull it out of the fire, they may want to try him.

Old 01-08-2012, 09:34 PM

38,642 posts, read 26,378,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frozenyo View Post
I always find it interesting that when numbers/trends don't add up to support what conservatives hope for, they claim they're meaningless. They've spent the last 2 years claiming that Obama can't win with an unemployment rate above ____. Now that things are improving, and the current trend supports his likelyhood of reelection, magically trends don't matter. Got to love conservatives and their hypocricy.

Reagan was the only modern president since FDR to win reelection with unemployment over 7.2%, but that number is just part of the economic picture. GDP was 7-9% for the entire year preceding the 1984 election. Inflation declined ten points and the misery index was cut in half. This proved Reaganonmics worked!

Today, in spite of record federal spending, bailouts and trillion dollar stimulus programs, unemployment is declining at half the rate it was back then, inflation is rising and the misery index which was below 8% when Bummer came into office now stands at 12%. So where's the proof that Obamanomics has been a success?

2% GDP?

Old 01-08-2012, 09:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by momonkey View Post
Reagan was the only modern president since FDR to win reelection with unemployment over 7.2%, but that number is just part of the economic picture. GDP was 7-9% for the entire year preceding the 1984 election. Inflation declined ten points and the misery index was cut in half. This proved Reaganonmics worked!

Today, in spite of record federal spending, bailouts and trillion dollar stimulus programs, unemployment is declining at half the rate it was back then, inflation is rising and the misery index which was below 8% when Bummer came into office now stands at 12%. So where's the proof that Obamanomics has been a success?

2% GDP?
Yes, you're right, the 1984 economy and the 2012 economy are excatly the same. A 7.2 for Reagan is much better than a 7.2 for Obama, "the misery index" is excatly what voters will be focusing on..Yes, you've got it all figured out.

NOT!! Stop it with the spin. It's embarassing.

Old 01-08-2012, 09:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiddlehead View Post
Interesting hypothesis, we will see in November 2012!

If the Rs choose Romney, I do think the economy will be important. Regardless of what people think of him, Romney does seem like a shrewd businessman, and it Mr. O cannot pull it out of the fire, they may want to try him.
He is shrewed. He fires workers, rehires them at lower wages without benefits then resigns with a lifelong multi-million dollar pension. Just the shrewed businessman the American people are looking for I reckon.

Old 01-08-2012, 09:50 PM

18,665 posts, read 19,970,287 times
momonkey, Reagan, like Obama, was aided by both a personality edge vs other pols, and with the exception of Romney, both opposing parties featured very weak candidates in both 1984 and 2012.
That matters deeply. I'm not sure if we could set both mens ages to reasonable levels via a time machine, Reagan could have beaten Clinton in either 92 , and definitely not in 96.

The amazing thing about the last several decades is I have yet to see both parties feature strong candidates. There have been Reagan and Clinton, but in all 4 elections, the opponents ran Divison II candidates. I doubt very much either party has the guts to run a strong candidate against an incumbent with a good record, especially with a good economy.

From the standpoint of mimicking the great Celtic-Laker 80s rivalry, Clinton vs Reagan would have been fun simply to watch. Perhaps Ali vs Frazier would have been an even better analogy.

We keep getting races with at least 1 turkey, and IMO, in 2000 and 2004, we had 2 turkeys each.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies