Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2012, 05:01 PM

11,446 posts, read 16,179,956 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by alphamale View Post
They see following the Constitution as "optional".
Thanks for the reminder. I adjusted my post:
If nothing else the Democrats provide a thin barrier to anti-intellectual, christian crazy, fundamentalists coming to power.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2012, 05:13 PM

8,396 posts, read 9,439,375 times
Lightbulb Sell me on the Democratic Party!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BirchBarlow View Post
Alright liberals, here's you chance to convince me. Why should I, a law-abiding, tax-paying, American citizen vote for your President or your party? It seems your party vilifies me every chance they get. Your politicians continually call me greedy and selfish and demands I hand over more and more of my private property for the benefit of the collective. You blame me for the fact that the federal government, which has been dominated by left-wing Democrat politicians for decades, has spent trillions and trillions of dollars more than it has taken in. You always want raise my taxes, yet I already pay more than my fair share of taxes. As it stands right now, 53% of the population bears the responsibility for 100% of the federal tax burden and you people demand that the 53% pay more and more while the 47% continue not only to get a free ride, but collect free food, housing, medical care, legal care, and education, all off of my labor. Does your party know anything about economics? It seems every time there's a Democrat at the helm, the economy is in the toilet, whereas whenever a Republican is at the helm, the economy runs on sixteen cylinders.

When it comes to national security, your party isn't much better than with economics. Rather than profiling individuals who wish to do our nation harm, your party demands that we, American citizens, surrender not only our liberty, but also our dignity, in the name of national security. Your party lets individuals who wish to do us harm slip through the cracks for fear of being accused of racism. Your party does nothing while Russia, China, and Iran pursue nuclear weapons programs and instead blames all of the world's ills on the tiny, peaceful nation-state of Israel, as if Israel just dropped off the map, there would be world peace. Your party shares our nuclear secrets with enemies. Your party continually stands in the way of any efforts to secure our borders and even sues individual states for securing their borders. (I mean what next, are Democrats going to throw me in jail for not letting a thief make off with my TV?) Your party accuses any who recognizes our borders and sovereignty of racism. (Am I a racist if I don't let a black person steal my car?) Your party protects illegal foreign invaders at the expense of American citizens, the people who you took an oath to represent and protect.

Your party continually stands in the way of domestic oil drilling and refining, and instead demands we fulfill our energy needs by purchasing green energy from their relatives in the green industry.

Your party decries lobbyism and corporatism, all the while using their positions as public servants to enrich themselves and their cronies at the expense of the tax-paying American citizens.

Your party continually stands in the way of the enforcement of voter ID laws, so that people who are ineligible to vote and cancel out my lawful vote.

Your party decries corporate campaign financing, all the while collecting the majority, not only of corporate money, but also union money, which is ultimately funded by taxpayers.

So please, convince me, unless I have Stockholm Syndrome, why should I as a tax-paying, law-abiding citizen, vote Democrat?

No!

Stay the heck away!

Old 01-09-2012, 05:26 PM

4,027 posts, read 7,285,888 times
Democrats do not need anyone inept like you.

Old 01-09-2012, 06:07 PM

3,345 posts, read 3,073,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Visvaldis View Post
If nothing else the Democrats provide a thin barrier to christian crazy fundamentalists coming to power.
I would be much more worried about fascists coming to power.

Maybe it is just me, but having no money to buy food and shelter with is 1 million times worse than someone being critical of who you sleep with

My God, but people need to realize what is important( times 1000)

Old 01-09-2012, 06:18 PM

3,457 posts, read 3,621,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by waterboy7375 View Post
So you would rather someone lie to you , and then bone you anyways?
Care to explain why?
they aren't quite as wrong as the Republicans. the severity and conviction with which they make factually inaccurate statements is not as great.

Old 01-09-2012, 06:21 PM

2,472 posts, read 3,196,723 times
American Democrats are actually center-right, while the republican party is just further right. This makes me question the stability of current republicans.

Old 01-09-2012, 06:53 PM

58,973 posts, read 27,267,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTAtech View Post
I didn't say anyone won the Iraq War. I just said that Obama stopped a war that shouldn't have been started.
For once you are correct. The war has not been won. Obama just quit. The war is still going on.

It is your right to disagree with Congress and the President. That doesn't mean you are right or wrong, just expressing your opinion.

Old 01-09-2012, 06:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTAtech View Post
I would suspect that private insurance fraud dwarfs fraud in the government. Lots of people file false claims that the insurance companies absorb and merely raise rates.

Yes, I have read the Ryan Plan and it effectively destroys what we know as Medicare. Medicare was started because insurance companies wouldn't insure older people.

The problems facing Medicare is no different than the problems facing private insurance, costs outpacing inflation. We can solve that problem the way other nations have but that's a different discussion.

Want to know about the Ryan Plan and Medicare? Here:
From Forbes:

As I said, the Ryan Plan doesn't cover the cost that insurance would cost and many seniors will not be able to afford health insurance. If that isn't destroying Medicare as we know it, the term has no meaning.
I quit reading after, "I would suspect". Sorry I don't read people who "suspect". Just another word for guess. I deal in facts. when you have some come back.

Old 01-09-2012, 07:08 PM

8,276 posts, read 12,854,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BirchBarlow View Post
Alright liberals, here's you chance to convince me. Why should I, a law-abiding, tax-paying, American citizen vote for your President or your party? It seems your party vilifies me every chance they get. Your politicians continually call me greedy and selfish and demands I hand over more and more of my private property for the benefit of the collective. You blame me for the fact that the federal government, which has been dominated by left-wing Democrat politicians for decades, has spent trillions and trillions of dollars more than it has taken in. You always want raise my taxes, yet I already pay more than my fair share of taxes. As it stands right now, 53% of the population bears the responsibility for 100% of the federal tax burden and you people demand that the 53% pay more and more while the 47% continue not only to get a free ride, but collect free food, housing, medical care, legal care, and education, all off of my labor. Does your party know anything about economics? It seems every time there's a Democrat at the helm, the economy is in the toilet, whereas whenever a Republican is at the helm, the economy runs on sixteen cylinders.

When it comes to national security, your party isn't much better than with economics. Rather than profiling individuals who wish to do our nation harm, your party demands that we, American citizens, surrender not only our liberty, but also our dignity, in the name of national security. Your party lets individuals who wish to do us harm slip through the cracks for fear of being accused of racism. Your party does nothing while Russia, China, and Iran pursue nuclear weapons programs and instead blames all of the world's ills on the tiny, peaceful nation-state of Israel, as if Israel just dropped off the map, there would be world peace. Your party shares our nuclear secrets with enemies. Your party continually stands in the way of any efforts to secure our borders and even sues individual states for securing their borders. (I mean what next, are Democrats going to throw me in jail for not letting a thief make off with my TV?) Your party accuses any who recognizes our borders and sovereignty of racism. (Am I a racist if I don't let a black person steal my car?) Your party protects illegal foreign invaders at the expense of American citizens, the people who you took an oath to represent and protect.

Your party continually stands in the way of domestic oil drilling and refining, and instead demands we fulfill our energy needs by purchasing green energy from their relatives in the green industry.

Your party decries lobbyism and corporatism, all the while using their positions as public servants to enrich themselves and their cronies at the expense of the tax-paying American citizens.

Your party continually stands in the way of the enforcement of voter ID laws, so that people who are ineligible to vote and cancel out my lawful vote.

Your party decries corporate campaign financing, all the while collecting the majority, not only of corporate money, but also union money, which is ultimately funded by taxpayers.

So please, convince me, unless I have Stockholm Syndrome, why should I as a tax-paying, law-abiding citizen, vote Democrat?
The error in this post is assuming that the Repugs do anything less.

I would never try to convince you or anyone to support either of our 2 parties.

Together they have unraveled the Constitution
Together they enrich themselves with insider trading, kick backs and or unsavory acts.
Both parties do little for the people
Both parties blame the other for the problems and they have both made significant contributions

My convincing would be towards seeing the Repugs for what they are, liars, cheats and thieves... same as the Dems.

The Libertarians have some good ideas but some really bad ones too.

The Green party seems to harm the fewest but might not be as proactive as needed.

The others are mostly crazies I would walk to the other side of the street to avoid.

I would say the ones of all I've seen who seems to believe in the people... would be green.

For me I think the only logical answer is getting off of oil. It would improve our security, or economy, and our planet. Face it a few oil rig blow outs and the world is in serious trouble. a few nuclear mishaps and again we are in deep $hit. We can have the quality of life we are use to and eliminate our own dependence on the power companies...which I think is a great thing.

Old 01-09-2012, 07:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnneWest View Post
You guys....

You've convinced me to turn Republican!

I'm gonna be pro-family, but just the families with marriages we approve of. They have to look and love the same way we do.

No taxes can ever be raised, all spending has to be cut, except for wars we start.
No jobs or raises for govt. workers, teachers, police, firefighters... especially if they're in a union!
The budget must be balanced on the backs of those depending on wasteful programs like Social Security, Medicare and Medicaid.
Social Security, VA hospitals, education, infrastructure improvements and maintenance, environmental controls, FDA, FEMA... just a few of those un-needed and wasteful programs. Who needs clean air and water, and medicines that will help and not kill us?

We won't ever approve extending limits on the national debt, except when we want to do it.

Anyone can protest, but only if they're white and members of the tea party. None of that younger generation, hippie-style occupying with tents stuff for us!

Religious freedom for everyone, except those who aren't in our church. Science must be limited to well... stuff we can understand. None of that evolution stuff if we can't watch it happen.

Servicemen and women must be honored for doing their duty to the country, but no expensive medical treatment. There's a limit to my duty to them.

I'm gonna vote Republican for sure! I'll get what I deserve.
If this what you got out of the posting and you vote we are in bigger trouble then I thought.

You fit right in with the loony left.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies