Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-08-2012, 09:43 PM

1,729 posts, read 4,998,122 times

Advertisements

A blood test is a mandantory requirement in some states prior to receiving a marital license to check for venereal/sexualy-transmitted diseases, but not for HIV, because that is a viral disease.......

Do you think there should be a gene test for HIV, and DNA, that includes all other major gene diseases given free by all States prior to marriage? And do you think it should be mandatory?

In some states, it is a Felony to sexually transmit HIV. That said: Why should not be a Felony, if someone getting married KNOWS there are major genetic diseases in his/her family, and hides that fact from their significant other? Thank you,
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2012, 10:34 PM

5,460 posts, read 7,761,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RUBIES77 View Post
A blood test is a mandantory requirement in some states prior to receiving a marital license to check for venereal/sexualy-transmitted diseases, but not for HIV, because that is a viral disease.......

Do you think there should be a gene test for HIV, and DNA, that includes all other major gene diseases given free by all States prior to marriage? And do you think it should be mandatory?

In some states, it is a Felony to sexually transmit HIV. That said: Why should not be a Felony, if someone getting married KNOWS there are major genetic diseases in his/her family, and hides that fact from their significant other? Thank you,
Bolded parts above sound almost like eugenics

So *not* cool, IMO...and I would *not* support such a test...

ETA: who among us has perfect DNA, anyway? Answer: no one...hello, isn't that already obvious??

Old 01-08-2012, 10:41 PM

21,192 posts, read 25,168,171 times
Quote:

Why stop there? Why not have everyone submit to a complete background check. Maybe hook people up to a lie detector and make sure they are telling the truth about everything? As far as I understand it - the blood tests were initially to prevent incest.

And genetic diseases are not the same thing as STDs. When a woman is pregnant, her obstetrician tests her for myriad diseases, disorders, etc.

Old 01-09-2012, 06:10 AM

35,879 posts, read 77,498,031 times
Anytime the state has access to that level of personal data, the public is at risk.

Old 01-09-2012, 06:33 AM

22,278 posts, read 21,728,906 times
Quote:

Sounds like you are conflating the issue of HIV testing and genetic testing.

As for the former, No. Because the last thing we need are more laws criminalizing people with a treatable disease, because these laws discourage everyone from testing, disclosing their status and receiving treatment for fear of social stigma and discrimination.

The trend in the US and elsewhere is to put an end to these laws, because they contribute to the spread of HIV. Instead, we need to get everyone with HIV on a treatment programme because it is the closest thing we have to a cure. People taking antiretrovirals reduce their ability to transmit HIV by 96%. So the more people on treatment, the closer we get to eradication of HIV.

Old 01-09-2012, 08:35 AM

19,012 posts, read 29,720,562 times
Quote:

Actually, I like this idea.

Let's take me for instance, no disease in my body. My Dad had diabetes, my mother was very healthy, and barring diabetes, my Dad was a healthy man, though he had to go thru misery in the end stages. Nonetheless, I'm as fit as a fiddle. Very rarely go to the stethescreep, very very rare. I have no memory of the last time I took a pill. I don't even take stuff for a headache. Brisk early morninger, eat anything I want, no weird allergic this, allergic that, gluten this, gluten that... etc., and I can avouch this will be my condition for the rest of my life....

And I'd love to have a similar bodied woman for a wife.

Great offsprings. Visit to the nearest doctor only on Christmas day to deliver sweet boxes and cookies. Least amount of medical bills. Bank accounts are happy. Can save the money for other good things in life. One of the women I'm a dating is allergic to gluten and I'm basically hanging out with her coz she is good looking and is a good girl. Otherwise, I don't see myself working around her gluten mess, seriously, I love me my pancakes and I don't have to find a gluten-free restaurant which serves tasteless food. Why should I go through that pain for the rest of eternity.

I'd vote for a health card, with a bar code. Government should mandate renewing it every six months... so that you scan the bar code, it lists every one million disease and ailment in the person. And people can safely choose the healthiest spouse and at least gauge what form of financial long term projected strain they may be getting into.

Old 01-09-2012, 08:50 AM

24,665 posts, read 69,703,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Antlered Chamataka View Post
Nonetheless, I'm as fit as a fiddle. Very rarely go to the stethescreep, very very rare. I have no memory of the last time I took a pill. I don't even take stuff for a headache. Brisk early morninger, eat anything I want, no weird allergic this, allergic that, gluten this, gluten that... etc., and I can avouch this will be my condition for the rest of my life....
Sorry, but you can vouch for no such thing. Were that sort of a blind statement be true then thousands upon thousands of formerly healthy people such as yourself wouldn't have died from AIDS when it made its appearance. And you'd be surprised at the changes that affect the body as it ages. People with no history of allergies all of a sudden develop them as they age. The body goes through changes and no way can you predict that your present good health is a guarantee for the future.

As far as the OP's question is concerned, a resounding no. It reeks of Hitler's theories which cost the lives of six million. Maybe a harsh and over-reactive analogy but that's what came to mind when I read the proposal.

Old 01-09-2012, 09:15 AM

19,012 posts, read 29,720,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by STT Resident View Post
Sorry, but you can vouch for no such thing. Were that sort of a blind statement be true then thousands upon thousands of formerly healthy people such as yourself wouldn't have died from AIDS when it made its appearance. And you'd be surprised at the changes that affect the body as it ages. People with no history of allergies all of a sudden develop them as they age. The body goes through changes and no way can you predict that your present good health is a guarantee for the future.

As far as the OP's question is concerned, a resounding no. It reeks of Hitler's theories which cost the lives of six million. Maybe a harsh and over-reactive analogy but that's what came to mind when I read the proposal.
You have quite the fortune telling talent of other people's health, STTR. Does your crystal ball see a big bank account and a beauty in the life of the antlered chamataka?

Let's face some facts here. Nothing Nazi with the health card. Being Nazi would be like imposition like the Chinese, but when government collects crime, credit and residency stats, why not health stats.

News flash - a fair share of individual American debt has been attributed to healthcare. Some people can't even afford it. And how long can the government hold this toxic debt which will never be paid off?? This is nothing but how the future is going to evolve. Citizens should be provided every means to avoid skyrocketing healthcare and debt in the future. If information is available, they will make a better choice of who to get involved with. The individual still makes his choice - nothing of an imaginary, Nazi directive to gas one million people

Solution and evolution is the only way forward.

Old 01-09-2012, 09:22 AM

24,665 posts, read 69,703,004 times
Quote:
You have quite the fortune telling talent of other people's health, STTR. Does your crystal ball see a big bank account and a beauty in the life of the antlered chamataka?
I'm unsure what simply stating basic facts has to do with any crystal ball or fortune telling abilities. You made generalized statements which with I simply disagree. I've not a clue what your future holds but of course hope that everything you wish for where wealth and health are concerned comes true. That's something which most wish for but obviously there are no guarantees.

Old 01-09-2012, 09:37 AM

21,192 posts, read 25,168,171 times
Quote:
Actually, I like this idea.

Let's take me for instance, no disease in my body. My Dad had diabetes, my mother was very healthy, and barring diabetes, my Dad was a healthy man, though he had to go thru misery in the end stages. Nonetheless, I'm as fit as a fiddle. Very rarely go to the stethescreep, very very rare. I have no memory of the last time I took a pill. I don't even take stuff for a headache. Brisk early morninger, eat anything I want, no weird allergic this, allergic that, gluten this, gluten that... etc., and I can avouch this will be my condition for the rest of my life....

And I'd love to have a similar bodied woman for a wife.

Great offsprings. Visit to the nearest doctor only on Christmas day to deliver sweet boxes and cookies. Least amount of medical bills. Bank accounts are happy. Can save the money for other good things in life. One of the women I'm a dating is allergic to gluten and I'm basically hanging out with her coz she is good looking and is a good girl. Otherwise, I don't see myself working around her gluten mess, seriously, I love me my pancakes and I don't have to find a gluten-free restaurant which serves tasteless food. Why should I go through that pain for the rest of eternity.

I'd vote for a health card, with a bar code. Government should mandate renewing it every six months... so that you scan the bar code, it lists every one million disease and ailment in the person. And people can safely choose the healthiest spouse and at least gauge what form of financial long term projected strain they may be getting into.
You cannot predict your health for the rest of your life. People develop cancer. Cancer does not discriminate between people who were previously healthy and people who were not. You could get hit by any number of diseases. You could be in a horrible accident and need to have myriad surgeries. You can vouch for many things in life - but life long perfect health is not one of them. Don't fool yourself or you might just prove yourself wrong.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies