Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Did you choose your sexual orientation?
I chose to be gay 3 2.03%
I did not choose to be gay 30 20.27%
I chose to be lesbian 3 2.03%
I did not choose to be lesbian 4 2.70%
I chose to be bi-sexual 1 0.68%
I did not choose to be bi-sexual 6 4.05%
I chose to be heterosexual 27 18.24%
I did not choose to be heterosexual 78 52.70%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 148. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2012, 09:46 AM

15,706 posts, read 11,766,724 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cletus Awreetus-Awrightus View Post
No, sexuality is who or what you have sex with. Attraction is what you're drawn to; what you like. If you can't understand this distinction, I don't know what else to tell you.
No, sexuality refers exclusively to one's attractions. That is the scientific definition of Sexual Orientation. Sexual behavior refers to who one has sex with.

They are not the same thing. I'm amazed you can't grasp even basic definitions.

Homosexual = a person who is attracted only to members of their own sex.
Heterosexual = a person who is attracted only to members of the opposite sex.
Bisexual = a person who is attracted to members of both sexes.

A guy who has never had sex with anyone, but only finds women attractive is by definition, heterosexual. If and when he has sex, he will be acting on his heterosexuality. But the sex act isn't what makes him heterosexual.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2012, 09:47 AM

14,917 posts, read 13,094,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChocLot View Post
Again, just because you were born gay does not mean that others in homosexual relationships did not choose it. You don't speak for all gay people.
We're talking about choosing sexuality, not choosing sex acts. It's possible - unfortunately prevalent - for homosexuals to choose to be in heterosexual relationships. People who do that have not chosen to be heterosexual, they've chosen to live a lie discordant with their sexuality. They are not heterosexual.

Likewise, it's certainly possible for a heterosexual to choose to be in a homosexual relationship (although in this society I think that would be exceptionally rare except maybe in prison out of a need for protection - essentially a coerced decision almost tantamount to rape). If for some reason you chose to date and have sex with a women, it wouldn't make you homosexual.

Old 01-09-2012, 09:49 AM

3,457 posts, read 3,621,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiyero View Post
No, sexuality refers exclusively to one's attractions. That is the scientific definition of Sexual Orientation. Sexual behavior refers to who one has sex with.

They are not the same thing.

I'm amazed you can't grasp even basic definitions.

Homosexual = a person who is attracted only to members of their own sex.
Heterosexual = a person who is attracted only to members of the opposite sex.
Bisexual = a person who is attracted to members of both sexes.

A guy who has never had sex with anyone, but only finds women attractive is by definition, heterosexual. If and when he has sex, he will be acting on his heterosexuality. But the sex act isn't what makes him heterosexual.
You can say "Yes it is", I can say, "No it isn't", and we can keep going back and forth ad infinitum. I know one thing: it doesn't make you right.

I've made my point clear, and now you're just repeating what I already rebutted, gearing up for another cycle of the same argument. You obviously have some stake in how I live my life, since you refuse to accept the determinations I've made for myself; Why is that?

Old 01-09-2012, 09:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cletus Awreetus-Awrightus View Post
No, that isn't what I'm telling you; "virgin" is defined by specifically by penetration, whereas sexuality and "sex" is more broadly defined than that. And being "attracted" to something or someone is yet another matter.

I understand, though, that not everyone is familiar with what these words mean.

Ok, good for you.
Sexuality = attractions. I realize you seem to like being dense about this, but we're going by what medical organizations and biologists who actually study sexuality define it as. Not what some random confused person on the internet wants to pretend it is.

Old 01-09-2012, 09:51 AM

Quote:
Like it or not, there are SOME gay people who have chosen to be gay. For whatever reason (imprisonment, trauma, abuse, etc). Just because it was not a choice for you, does not mean it wasn't a choice for others.
There may be a tiny minority, but I think it's astronomically rare, and I have yet to see any legitimate scientific research that indicates people choose to be gay or straight.

This thread has merely made it clear some people are confused about what choice and sexual orientation even means.

Old 01-09-2012, 09:53 AM

Quote:
Not all sex between men in prison is rape. Some do it because it's what's available.
It's usually rape. One man is almost always forcing a weaker man to have sex.

Old 01-09-2012, 09:56 AM

3,457 posts, read 3,621,416 times
Quote:
Sexuality = attractions. I realize you seem to like being dense about this, but we're going by what medical organizations and biologists who actually study sexuality define it as. Not what some random confused person on the internet wants to pretend it is.
Who is "we" ? Someone asked me a question and I responded. I never asked your opinion on a damn thing, and yet, you're here trying to tell me what I am, and what I'm not.

Old 01-09-2012, 09:58 AM

12,481 posts, read 10,217,844 times
I am so ugly old and hideous i have no choice but to me neutral sex

Old 01-09-2012, 09:58 AM

4,520 posts, read 4,207,602 times
Quote:
There may be a tiny minority, but I think it's astronomically rare, and I have yet to see any legitimate scientific research that indicates people choose to be gay or straight.

This thread has merely made it clear some people are confused about what choice and sexual orientation even means.
If you have yet to see legitimate scientific research on the matter, how do you know it's rare? Being gay doesn't give you insight into the minds of all gay people.

Quote:
It's usually rape. One man is almost always forcing a weaker man to have sex.
Again, how do you know? I think the rape in prison thing is highly exaggerated. There are men in prison who engage in sex with other men because it's accessible. These men have sex with other straight men as well as with the queens/gays that are imprisoned.

Old 01-09-2012, 10:01 AM

4,520 posts, read 4,207,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hammertime33 View Post
We're talking about choosing sexuality, not choosing sex acts. It's possible - unfortunately prevalent - for homosexuals to choose to be in heterosexual relationships. People who do that have not chosen to be heterosexual, they've chosen to live a lie discordant with their sexuality. They are not heterosexual.

Likewise, it's certainly possible for a heterosexual to choose to be in a homosexual relationship (although in this society I think that would be exceptionally rare except maybe in prison out of a need for protection - essentially a coerced decision almost tantamount to rape). If for some reason you chose to date and have sex with a women, it wouldn't make you homosexual.
Doesn't performing a sex act define your sexuality? If I have sex with men and women, am I not bi? If just men, straight? If just women, lesbian? Is this thread just about gays who are virgins?

Do you see what you're saying in your scenarios? In essence:

If a gay person chooses to live a heterosexual life, they are still gay.
If a straight person chooses to live a gay life, they are still straight.

How does that double standard work?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies