Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Did you choose your sexual orientation?
I chose to be gay 3 2.03%
I did not choose to be gay 30 20.27%
I chose to be lesbian 3 2.03%
I did not choose to be lesbian 4 2.70%
I chose to be bi-sexual 1 0.68%
I did not choose to be bi-sexual 6 4.05%
I chose to be heterosexual 27 18.24%
I did not choose to be heterosexual 78 52.70%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 148. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2012, 04:33 PM

2,301 posts, read 2,033,288 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rlarson21 View Post
wow, there's 11 people on here who are bisexual but claim their straight.. that's weird.
I chose to be bisexual, but the attempt ultimately failed and I had to settle for "straight".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2012, 04:59 PM

24,510 posts, read 33,309,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by filihok View Post
Why does it become false over time? It is as true on the 10000th day as it was on the 1st
See, here it is again! Every post I (and others who make similar posts) gets picked apart word for word!

I didn't say anything becomes false over time. Stop with the nitpicking!

Old 01-09-2012, 05:22 PM

26,680 posts, read 28,667,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChocLot View Post
Great analysis! I wonder why some gay people do that (insist that straight guys secretly harbor gay tendencies, but gay guys are 100% gay with no deviation). Very interesting indeed.
It's because some straight guys do, indeed, harbor gay tendencies. There's no stigma to being straight, so it's highly unlikely that a gay guy would have closeted hetero feelings.

Last edited by AnUnidentifiedMale; 01-09-2012 at 05:46 PM..

Old 01-09-2012, 05:43 PM

13,285 posts, read 15,302,626 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleet View Post
See, here it is again! Every post I (and others who make similar posts) gets picked apart word for word!

I didn't say anything becomes false over time. Stop with the nitpicking!
Yes you did
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleet View Post
Quote:
Opinions on factual matters can be disputed.
That's true but not when it goes on and on to the point of ad nauseam.
How is reading what you wrote nitpicking?

Is it that difficult to say what you mean instead of leaving it up to others to guess, then get upset when they guess wrong?

Old 01-09-2012, 06:01 PM

24,510 posts, read 33,309,299 times
Quote:
Yes you did

How is reading what you wrote nitpicking?

Is it that difficult to say what you mean instead of leaving it up to others to guess, then get upset when they guess wrong?
As I said, it goes on and one... ad nauseam!

It would probably be better to stay with the topic instead of (continually) discussing other members.

Old 01-09-2012, 07:03 PM

4,027 posts, read 7,289,159 times
So I know that the people who said that they chose to be gay or lesbian are lying and are troll accounts.

To the people who said that they chose to be straight, when did you first have sex with someone of the same gender so that you are certain?

Old 01-09-2012, 08:07 PM

2,526 posts, read 3,004,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rlarson21 View Post
wow, there's 11 people on here who are bisexual but claim their straight.. that's weird.
Now 13 - I had no idea there were that many bisexuals on C-D!

Old 01-09-2012, 08:07 PM

Location: where you sip the tea of the breasts of the spinsters of Utica
8,297 posts, read 14,163,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dorado0359 View Post
Wait a minute.... Don't you have the CHOICE to have sex with either a man or a woman?

People have a CHOICE in everything in life...whether to drink coffee or tea...to eat beef or pork...to steal or not to steal. Why Would a person's CHOICE to have sex with someone of the same or opposite sex be an exception to the rule?
This is a strange kind of an idea, because many people can't stand to drink tea and others very strongly dislike pork. Sure they could jam the pork into their mouths and maybe even swallow it if someone were holding a gun to their head, or if they would win money by doing so. But there would be no pleasure in it. Still, technically they would be choosing to eat the pork.

It's the same with sex. Most guys can't get it up if they're not interested, so there wouldn't be any real choice about that, if they're going against the grain of their sexuality. A purely hetero guy could be forced at gunpoint to fellate a rapist, but he certainly wouldn't enjoy it, and yet he's making a choice between living with a repugnant act or dying. It's a true choice in the strictest sense, though not in a broader sense.

Similarly, true homosexuals would find it repugnant to couple with the opposite sex ...... they might be coerced into it, or manage somehow to do it with distaste for the sake of having their own flesh and blood children, or to obey their religion's rules.

I guess the broader sense of choice would be "willing choice". Gays and full heterosexuals don't have a willing choice about their orientation, it comes about by a combination of nature and nurture - mostly genetics in my opinion. In the strictest sense a gay person could choose a hetero partner, but it wouldn't be willingly, it wouldn't feel "right", and a gay man might not even be able to get it up for a woman.

Old 01-09-2012, 08:35 PM

Location: where you sip the tea of the breasts of the spinsters of Utica
8,297 posts, read 14,163,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiyero View Post
Rape in prison is not homosexuality. Rape is about power, violence, and control, not sex. Men have been raping other men for all of human history, and they are not gay. Sexual assaults in the military among men are quite high, and yet studies show that the overwhelming majority of the attackers are heterosexual.
That's the Oprah/feminist pop opinion I've heard for the last 30 years or so. If rape isn't about sex, they'd simply beat up the victim. In an all male environment, sex is about having orgasms without being too concerned where they are coming from, and no I don't believe that sex in prisons or the military is mostly about rape.

Dunno if it's true, but I've heard that old-timey lumberjacks used to drill holes in a wall, and each guy would take turns allowing anal sex from all the other lumberjacks. Similarly many restrooms nowadays have "glory holes" meant to facilitate anonymous sex between a gay guy inside, and a bisexual or desperate straight guy outside.

I was also reading about an anthropologist discussing sex with some South American jungle tribe ...... in an effort to open up the subject he mentioned how odd it was that some men would have sex with other men. The tribesman agreed that it was strange that some men would allow other men to use them ...... he said that when the men went out on a long hunt, one or two of the guys would willing let the others "get off" in them. I think they had the idea that men needed to have sex every night in order to be healthy .... not an uncommon belief around the Third World.

Old 01-09-2012, 08:39 PM

9,394 posts, read 15,691,376 times
well considering many sociologists believe rape is about control and not sex, i think i'll go with that explanation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies