Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Did you choose your sexual orientation?
I chose to be gay 3 2.03%
I did not choose to be gay 30 20.27%
I chose to be lesbian 3 2.03%
I did not choose to be lesbian 4 2.70%
I chose to be bi-sexual 1 0.68%
I did not choose to be bi-sexual 6 4.05%
I chose to be heterosexual 27 18.24%
I did not choose to be heterosexual 78 52.70%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 148. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-13-2012, 11:18 PM

2,401 posts, read 3,641,946 times

Advertisements

Asking this is similar to asking whether an individual chose to be born. Your nature is your nature and you don't get to choose, same way I didn't choose to be straight; and I must say, I wouldn't have it any other way.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2012, 11:20 PM

3,921 posts, read 9,128,287 times
When I was little, I used to think that being gay was a choice, but then after the gay marriage law passed in NY, I read some of the stories gay and bisexual people told about how they tried to "pray away" their attraction to the same sex, and it just didn't work because they couldn't get rid of the attraction.

It's probably some kind of hormone imbalance that causes the attraction to the same sex, which is probably caused by genetic problems, meaning that they didn't have a choice. Darwin's theory of natural selection would probably suggest that the homosexuality prevents them from passing on a certain trait to the next generation.

So I guess people like myself didn't have a choice but to be heterosexual, but hey, I'm not complaining. More of a chance to pass on my good genes to the next generation.

Old 01-13-2012, 11:22 PM

30,345 posts, read 51,930,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hammertime33 View Post
That would be interesting, especially considering all three posters who claim they chose to be lesbians are men and of the 3 posters who claim they chose to be gay, 2 have extensive posting histories talking about their wives and the 3rd has a grand total of 0 posts on these message boards.
Hahaha... guess that explains it!!

Old 01-13-2012, 11:28 PM

3,565 posts, read 7,977,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hammertime33 View Post
That would be interesting, especially considering all three posters who claim they chose to be lesbians are men and of the 3 posters who claim they chose to be gay, 2 have extensive posting histories talking about their wives and the 3rd has a grand total of 0 posts on these message boards.
One of the most curious things about gay men is that so many of them have been married to a woman, and many have kids! It's VERY common, especially the older they are. Of course, it's generally attributed to them stalling to accept their sexuality and because that's just what everybody else does (get married). So maybe those 2 guys are having sex with guys even though they're married. LOL. But more likely it's just a joke. Who knows.

Here's a funny thread on another forum where this guy says he chose to be gay because it's cheaper:

I choose to be gay because it's cheaper than being straight... - IGN Boards

Old 01-13-2012, 11:28 PM

1,571 posts, read 2,000,572 times
Yeah... I did choose my sexual orientation. I remember trying to look up that little hole that was moving to and from me, and I was having a very hard time... Finally yelled: HEY!!! SEND DOWN A STRAIGHT ONE!!! Well, you know... They must have heard me, cause they sure did send down this little sperm that was just as straight as could be.....

Old 01-14-2012, 12:04 AM

10,449 posts, read 12,459,957 times
I did not choose to be lesbian.

Old 01-14-2012, 12:40 AM

30,976 posts, read 21,630,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the_windwalker View Post
Yeah... I did choose my sexual orientation. I remember trying to look up that little hole that was moving to and from me, and I was having a very hard time... Finally yelled: HEY!!! SEND DOWN A STRAIGHT ONE!!! Well, you know... They must have heard me, cause they sure did send down this little sperm that was just as straight as could be.....
huh???

Old 01-14-2012, 12:45 AM

6,414 posts, read 10,490,590 times
It is interesting that three men chose to be lesbians and it appears that 22 men chose to be straight and two women chose to be straight. Many of the men that said they chose to be straight have been staunch opposers to gays. Their votes are bogus because they were made to skew the results and are not honest. That makes them trolls on this thread. Immature trolls. 78.47% 0f the voters did not choose their sexual orientation. The amount is really higher due to bogus votes. The source says they did not choose and since many of the dissenters voted to skew the tally, they just prove how far and how low they will go to prove a point that has no proof.

Old 05-15-2012, 08:50 PM

29,094 posts, read 26,003,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StillwaterTownie View Post
huh???
I had the exact same reaction.

Old 05-15-2012, 09:03 PM

38,643 posts, read 26,371,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDragonslayer View Post
I keep reading responses in most threads about LGBTQ people claiming we choose our sexual orientation. I personally did not choose to be homosexual, by the age of 14 I had read nearly every book in the library on the subject to find out why and if there was a way out of it. Now this was in many cases old information, outdated when I was reading it. None of it clicked with me, I did not want to be gay, I was angry even. At the time I did not know if I believed in a god or not, so I prayed, I asked to just be like everyone else. There was no answer and there was no change in me. I have four brothers and a sister, my younger brother is gay and an older brother is bi. My sister said she has always been heterosexual. I have an uncle that is gay on my Moms side. There seems to be a lot of gay people on my Moms side, but none I know of from my Dads.

So when the issue becomes nature vs nurture, you've got an abundance of homo/bi-sexuals on your mother's side of the family and for some reason you have ruled out nurture?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies