Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2012, 07:44 AM

3,457 posts, read 3,623,334 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by summers73 View Post
Family does, and it's interesting to note that they don't hire anyone either. Do you consider Hungary to not matter?
pretty much. Its economy is smaller than Portugal, Ireland, Denmark, Belgium, Greece, Ukraine, etc.

I wouldn't mind visiting Budapest, though.

Quote:
Does only France and Germany matter to you?
No, but they matter more than Hungary.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2012, 07:49 AM

1,733 posts, read 1,822,243 times
Quote:
From Democratic Europe no less.
And here I thought Hungary was letting it membership in that club lapse.

Anyway, looking at the maternity leave chart, this is probably why America has so few working, taxpaying citizens compared to the number on benefits.

Old 01-09-2012, 07:57 AM

20,054 posts, read 18,282,893 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cletus Awreetus-Awrightus View Post
pretty much. Its economy is smaller than Portugal, Ireland, Denmark, Belgium, Greece, Ukraine, etc.

I wouldn't mind visiting Budapest, though.
Ah Budapest. It's like NYC, except farther. (A twist on an Aussie academic colleague saying the same thing about New Zealand and Scotland. )

Quote:
No, but they matter more than Hungary.
So you agree that Hungary gives excessive maternity leave considering its inability to afford it? Whew, glad we agree on something.

Old 01-09-2012, 08:00 AM

3,457 posts, read 3,623,334 times
Quote:
So you agree that Hungary gives excessive maternity leave considering its inability to afford it? Whew, glad we agree on something.
Yeah, if what's written in the article is true, it sounds like it.

Old 01-09-2012, 08:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cletus Awreetus-Awrightus View Post
Yeah, if what's written in the article is true, it sounds like it.

Maybe when Hungary discovers that democracy and capitalism is hard work and sacrifice as the French and Germans realized from the 50's to present, then they can enjoy the fruits of their labor and provide more lavish social programs.

Old 01-09-2012, 08:07 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,783,759 times
FWIW - No one ever "gave" me a job. All of my employers have made more off my work than they have paid for it. No "giving" involved.

If Hungary wants to support its population over its plutocrats that is their business and no one elses. Just as we want to support our plutocrats over our population. That is our business.

Old 01-09-2012, 08:10 AM

29,407 posts, read 22,003,124 times
Employers in Europe have to carry all this along with the six week vactions and all the other perks these folks deemed they deserve. Then turn around and wonder why the EU is going into the tank. It's pretty simple. Not enough workers and too many slackers. Then when the government can't bail it all out anymore they now turn to others to make up the difference. Sadly that means the others in the EU and now the US is in for 3 trillion and soon to be more.

Old 01-09-2012, 08:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
FWIW - No one ever "gave" me a job. All of my employers have made more off my work than they have paid for it. No "giving" involved.

If Hungary wants to support its population over its plutocrats that is their business and no one elses. Just as we want to support our plutocrats over our population. That is our business.
It's my business if the US taxpayer is planning on funding their bailout, especially to uber-rich German and French bankers.

Old 01-09-2012, 09:08 AM

7,085 posts, read 12,055,553 times
Quote:
This article has nothing to do with the US.
The title of the thread is "This is why I won't give you a job," you live in the US, so you are implying it does. It's not "This is why he won't give you a job." That is what the word I means, even elementary school kids understand that. I thought some one who supposedly loves America so much would have a better command of the English language.

Quote:
That's nice. Why is it laughable? Doesn't it sound logical not to hire if the costs associated with maternity leave would compel the employer to discriminate against women? What is the point of hiring anyone if the their carrying costs exceed their productive output? I think (most) Hungarians aren't interested in returning to a pre-1989 environment.
Over 5 million people are employed in Hungary (millions more across the EU), and if this one guy complains about hiring women then why is he right? Just because one person with a 12 employee company won't hire women and wrote something on a personal blog on the internet doesn't automatically make him right in any sense of logical reasoning. I think with millions of women employed at many larger and more successful companies it generally makes him a nearly unique minority with misogynistic behavior. Unless you believe what he says already...which is a conclusion looking for facts and a defining characteristic of a crank. Well reasoned, smart and logical people do it the other way around.

Old 01-09-2012, 09:33 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,759,995 times
On another thread about maternity leave, someone pointed out that in countries with generous maty leave, this creates an opportunity for young, inexperienced workers to be hired to replace these ladies while they're on leave, and give them an opportunity to get into the job market. Considering the problems right now in the US with college grads being unable to find jobs, this might be a great idea. Although I think 3 years is pretty long, and maybe excessive, it also solves the problem of moms with young children calling in sick frequently to take care of their kids. That is a problem in the US, and some employers don't like to hire women with little kids for that reason.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies