U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-09-2012, 12:37 PM

5,646 posts, read 4,505,201 times

Advertisements

Maybe this 3 minute video will help some see how ridiculous our debt crisis is:

DEBT LIMIT - A GUIDE TO AMERICAN FEDERAL DEBT MADE EASY. - YouTube

When are the American people going to put their collective foot down and say "I'm sorry, we can't help you"?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2012, 12:43 PM

4,741 posts, read 3,973,265 times
Great, another stupid, misguided analogy that completely ignores the fact that individual debt and government debt are not quite the same thing.

I can balance my checkbook, so I'm qualified to be a CFO at ExxonMobil. Same thing, dude.

1. The guy in the plaid shirt can't print his own money; government can.

2. The guy in the plaid shirt can't tax his neighbors or creditors or his bank for extra income; the government can.

3. The guy in the plaid shirt owes money to other people who can take him to court, garnish his wages, and make him live under a bridge; the government (we) owe the money to the public...which is ourselves.

4. The guy in the plaid shirt owes money and pays money to creditors who will actually take money from his account balance; the government owes money to people who may or may not do that. They can cash it, sell it back to us, or do a number of different things with it.

Put the crayons away and learn how economics really works before posting this crap.

Old 01-09-2012, 12:46 PM

41,479 posts, read 55,777,219 times
Debt is money, money is debt. That is the way things work. It is all numbers anyway so why worry.

Old 01-09-2012, 01:22 PM

3,045 posts, read 2,986,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andrea3821 View Post

When are the American people going to put their collective foot down and say "I'm sorry, we can't help you"?
So that video gave you your opinion? Why don't you think for yourself? Did you look at any unbiased sources to get a good idea of what it would mean to not extend the debt ceiling? Didn't think so...

Old 01-09-2012, 03:42 PM

19,403 posts, read 17,556,938 times
There are two forms of money, both of them forms of debt, one more usurious than the other.

IOU - I Owe You.
IHU- I Ho You.

Adj.1.usurious
Old French use-ur-ass

Old 01-10-2012, 08:28 AM

3,457 posts, read 3,392,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andrea3821 View Post

DEBT LIMIT - A GUIDE TO AMERICAN FEDERAL DEBT MADE EASY. - YouTube

I thought this was a very poor analogy. If the U.S. Government is the "borrower" in the video, who is the lender supposed to represent?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies