Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2012, 09:26 PM

24,544 posts, read 56,200,470 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpg35223 View Post
Maybe, given how one terrorist attack led to our invading not one but two countries.

However, if we invaded, it would likely be the equivalent of Roman taking Carthage in the Third Punic War. No building would be left standing. Salt would be sown on the earth so nothing could grow.

But I really think that's the least likely scenario. It would be Biblical, if for no reason other than to give any other nation pause before trying it.
I think that would be more than enough to provoke say the allies of Iran, say Russia or even China, into joining the conflict. Or perhaps more likely an alliance of Arab/Islamic states.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2012, 09:57 PM

28,895 posts, read 54,273,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
I think that would be more than enough to provoke say the allies of Iran, say Russia or even China, into joining the conflict. Or perhaps more likely an alliance of Arab/Islamic states.
Doubtful. Everybody got the heck out of our way after 3,000 people died on 9/11. What do you think would happen if 3,000,000 were killed? Or more?

With Syria circling the bowl, Iran has no allies. Unless you count Venezuela. Both countries are far better at waging a war of words than anything else.

Russia? No way, no how. The Russians like a nice, stable world even more so than the Americans. Same with the Chinese, who like global trade. The only thing the Chinese will be willing to go to war over is Taiwan. And neither wants a rogue nuclear state in the world randomly lobbing missiles at countries it doesn't like.

Arab/Islamic states? Considering we rolled the most militarily powerful Arab state in a matter of weeks the way a hooker rolls a drunk Shriner at a convention, those guys wouldn't lift a finger. Heck, we did it with five divisions. What's more, those sheikhs like selling their oil to the West.

I just think your premise is dubious.

Old 01-09-2012, 09:58 PM

16,431 posts, read 22,246,751 times
The end of the world will be precipitated by an attack on Israel.

Old 01-09-2012, 10:04 PM

16,431 posts, read 22,246,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpg35223 View Post
This.

Right before we turn Pyongyang or Teheran into a skating rink, Russia, China, and pretty much everybody else on the planet would say, "Okay, knock yourself out. Just try to keep the fallout to a minimum."
We have neutron bombs. Let's don't do this. Name a war that has had the outcome we were told was intended.

Old 01-09-2012, 10:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bideshi View Post
We have neutron bombs. Let's don't do this. Name a war that has had the outcome we were told was intended.
Nobody has done anything. I actually think the scenario in the OP is pretty unlikely. But I'm fairly certain what would happen.

Old 01-09-2012, 11:30 PM

24,521 posts, read 33,395,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
Of course. The Americans don't care how many people they needlessly kill in retaliation and to "honor" the memories of those who already died. It's all about closure. Ahd the OP is correct, the US would obliterate Tehran, no matter who bombed us. The US is just sitting here itching for a pretext to nuke the unilaterally-declared " Axis of Evil", the doctrine that supercedes all other policies.
Please keep your anti-American statements to yourself. Thanks.

Old 01-10-2012, 04:10 AM

13,496 posts, read 18,248,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony45 View Post
I actually believe that there is a chance that we wouldn't necessarily nuke anyone. We may accomplish our goal through conventional war. There would be no stopping however, we would send a million troops and with our technology we would overwhelm the country and I think leave a pretty bad trail of destruction in anger. We may hold back on the nuclear option if there is no chance of another nuke strike from the same country. Not using a nuke would win us much support throughout the world, especially from countries who may get the fallout.
Iraq and Afghanistan haven't been very encouraging dress rehearsals for this.

Old 01-10-2012, 04:12 AM

13,496 posts, read 18,248,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bideshi View Post
The end of the world will be precipitated by an attack on Israel.
Or by Israel.

Old 01-10-2012, 06:11 AM

7,639 posts, read 18,167,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
It's an unimaginable scenario, some crazy Iranian or South Korean dictator decides to start World War III by sending one or a few thermo-nukes to hit Manhattan. The immediately impact kills at least a million. NYC is evacuated, but millions more die from radiation. The US retaliates by obliterating Tehran. Would this spell World War III and perhaps the end of the world as we know it?
Am I the only one who noticed this?

Old 01-10-2012, 06:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvdxer View Post
Am I the only one who noticed this?
I did, but chose to let it slide.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies