Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-10-2012, 07:20 AM

14,480 posts, read 11,276,052 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony45 View Post
I'm a union worker, work for a big public utility. They showed us once the percentage of their operating costs go into payroll. It was shockingly low. The guy who showed us that graph no longer works for the company.
And as a union guy you probably think 83% is shockingly low.

That's the percentage of the educational budget for the city of Boston that goes to the benefits and salary of the unionized teachers. That leaves 17% for everything else!

Many teachers are raking in over 90 large per year with some actually over the 100 K mark. A married teacher couple with ten years under their belt is halfway to 1 percenter status.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2012, 07:33 AM

9,855 posts, read 15,201,832 times
The article compared BMW, Mercedes Benz, and VW to the net US auto market statistics? Talk about skewing data. Sorry, but I can't really take an article seriously when 2/3 of the companies surveyed in Germany are luxury brands and virtually none of those in the US were.

Show me the same data comparing luxury brands in Germany to luxury brands in America, or economy brands in Germany to economy brands in the USA and then we can talk. Obviously someone working for BMW will be paid more than someone slapping together a Ford Focus.

Old 01-10-2012, 07:36 AM

45,337 posts, read 60,522,810 times
Duplicate thread:

//www.city-data.com/forum/polit...many-cars.html

Old 01-10-2012, 07:50 AM

15,700 posts, read 17,038,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by waterboy7375 View Post
Also , lets not overlook the fact that Delphi ate it just in time to dump its liabilities back on GM.
Delphi was GM. The long term employees had over 20 years working for GM when GM decided to spin off that part of their business.

I am glad GM wasn't allowed to dump those employees and the pensions they earned.

Old 01-10-2012, 08:27 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,680,954 times
Well -- Germans probably buy German made cars, and don't have politicians doing all they can to send jobs out of the country. It was Clinton who signed NAFTA and made numerous trips to China to get jobs gone, Obama has expanded NAFTA and rewards the global corporations with big bailouts.

Old 01-10-2012, 08:34 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,765,227 times
Clinton(s) never found a corporate ass they didn't want to kiss. Those opportunists have no shame.

Old 01-10-2012, 08:40 AM

9,727 posts, read 9,725,942 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony45 View Post
You are 100% right on. We have this clown who is the manager of engineering. He's not a total idiot because he is an engineer, but the only reason he has the job he has is because his Dad worked for the company for 40 years.

I heard him say once (regarding working men) that "we can get anyone to fill a pair of bluejeans" That's the attitude towards us. Even though many of us are master electricians or pipefitters and could be making more money elsewhere. We work for them for the stability and benefits.
If you earned more "elsewhere" you could buy your own benefits. I did it as an independent contractor.

Old 01-10-2012, 08:42 AM

9,727 posts, read 9,725,942 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hnsq View Post
The article compared BMW, Mercedes Benz, and VW to the net US auto market statistics? Talk about skewing data. Sorry, but I can't really take an article seriously when 2/3 of the companies surveyed in Germany are luxury brands and virtually none of those in the US were.

Show me the same data comparing luxury brands in Germany to luxury brands in America, or economy brands in Germany to economy brands in the USA and then we can talk. Obviously someone working for BMW will be paid more than someone slapping together a Ford Focus.
Those luxury brands in Germany also own other brands that build cheap cars for the peasants.

Old 01-10-2012, 08:47 AM

17,003 posts, read 12,586,399 times
Just. Wow. Maybe America is doomed.

On the right anyone without a masters should go live in a refrigerator box but only if they pay ground rent where the box is.

On the left everyone should get the exact same even if they inhabit a couch all day.

I know couples who work 3 jobs between them and pull in about 45K. Yes I know they must be drugged up losers who should go move into the above referenced box.

I also know a loser who always seemed to have all the latest cell phone toys but never had a job.

When we feed the extremes we get more of them.

I will never for the life of me ever be able to figure out the obsession with NAFTA when CHINA is massively more imbalanced and a far far bigger issue. Take oil out of the Mexico equation and you will find trade with them is closer to balanced than you think. Levi Strauss moved out of Mexico because they wanted too much pay.

Old 01-10-2012, 08:49 AM

9,855 posts, read 15,201,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinm View Post
Those luxury brands in Germany also own other brands that build cheap cars for the peasants.
So you disagree that comparing a select few higher end brands in Germany to the net American industry is a poor way to go about a survey?

Rolex makes a few cheap watches, but if someone asks you for a nice, affordable watch you aren't going to recommend one.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies