Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-10-2012, 09:15 AM

14,247 posts, read 17,914,646 times

Advertisements

One of the things that I learned as a parent is that you do not need to hit kids in order to discipline them or show displeasure.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2012, 09:17 AM

28,890 posts, read 30,251,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by All American NYC View Post
Should parents hit their kids when they have poor grades? & does the punishment fit the crime?
don't know what happened here...and until we do, we can't judge...your only reading what the paper chose to put in there...
Maybe she's had other problems with the kid, big time? You don't know that? None of us do...
I'm not for constantly hitting kids...but once in a while you've got to pull out all the stops...
I will say this....I'm 63 years old...and my foster parents never had to hit me...however, I towed the line...and feared a consequence for bad behavior...my real mother however, hit me for everything...everything...
Spanked my son 3 times in his life, but never hit him across the face...didn't have to...again, none of us know what is really going on in that household...and years ago, I believe kids were much different, b/c they feared getting spanked...most kids today are not even taught to whisper in a public place, or taught to respect the space of others....no, you don't have to hit your kid around to get results, but once in a while a spanking doesn't kill them, or mame them for life...
I would never ever life a hand to my grand-daughter, that is my son and DIL's job...and decission...however, if they did, then she deserved it, b/c they are good caring parents and they wouldn't spank her unless absolutely necessary. A spanking is not beating your kid...and in this case, I'd certainly want to know more before making a call.

Old 01-10-2012, 09:25 AM

11,466 posts, read 19,345,447 times
Beat them with a stick and then take them for icecream or buy them a toy

Old 01-10-2012, 09:33 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,756,720 times
I was slapped, hit with sticks and otherwise disciplined when I was a child for whatever reason entered my drunken stepfather's dulled mind. It did not result in any noticible discipline just a better ability to keep my stuff to myself.

When I turned 14 the same guy was begging me not to return the favor. After 'nam I returned with every intention of killing him. When I saw how sick and pathetic he was I let him die slowly. Revenge can be very satisfying.

Parents should be very carefull about hitting childern. Payback can be a real *****.

Old 01-10-2012, 09:39 AM

28,890 posts, read 30,251,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
I was slapped, hit with sticks and otherwise disciplined when I was a child for whatever reason entered my drunken stepfather's dulled mind. It did not result in any noticible discipline just a better ability to keep my stuff to myself.

When I turned 14 the same guy was begging me not to return the favor. After 'nam I returned with every intention of killing him. When I saw how sick and pathetic he was I let him die slowly. Revenge can be very satisfying.

Parents should be very carefull about hitting childern. Payback can be a real *****.
There is a big big difference between spanking a kid and beating them. big difference...I'm sorry you were beat...I'm sorry you had to grow up like that...however, b/c you were, you are at the complete other end of the spectrum on this...

Old 01-10-2012, 11:31 AM

19,893 posts, read 18,436,651 times
And what did this Mother do to help her child get good grades. Bet ya nothing. I know too many teachers, and couselors in schools, so i hear it all.
Some students do need help from Parents, and are afraid to ask for help. All too often parents expect magic from the children, and expect them to get good grades, but do not a thing to help them learn.
What if her child and she does not yet know it, have a learning disability, as two children i recently found out about.
I do not care what any of you say, hitting your child, will not make the student learn better. Infact it will only make matters worse. This child will never come to the Mom for help after getting hit.
Most of the adults i know who were hit as children, because that is what they did in those days, openly talk about it, and hate the fact they were hit. And they swear to never do the same thing to their children.
Something really is missing if you have to hit a child in order to get them to behave.
I happen to know two child shrinks, they say all too often the Parents are the ones with the problem.
Some parents expectations of their children, are beyond reasonable, but yet sit by, idle and do not a thing to help their children learn. Then have a huge problem when the child does not live up to their high standards and their higher expectations of the child. The child shrink told me too many times parents today, live their childhood thru their children, which is wrong.

Old 01-10-2012, 11:35 AM

29,407 posts, read 21,996,065 times
Yes it's better to send em to a shrink and then the shrink will decide they must have ADHD and just can't concentrate. Then the kid is drugged up into a zombie and if the parents don't agree they are told they either give em the medicine or the state will take the child away and put them in foster care with somebody who will actually take care of them.

Or smack em and say next time you better do better or the belt is coming out. Funny how that belt does tend to motivate.

Old 01-10-2012, 11:35 AM

9,394 posts, read 15,687,113 times
the mother sounds like a moron if she thinks that corporal punishment is the proper response to bad grades.

when I got bad grades I had privileges taken away. the video game console, the computer, etc. worked pretty well.

Old 01-10-2012, 11:39 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,756,720 times
My folks would have done a lot better if they just explained what they wanted me to do and why. Kids are smart and generally listen to reason. Argue with your kids. If you make sense they will listen. If you don't try again after you figure out why they are not doing what you want.

Spanking and fear are the last resort of tyrants and teach childern that terror works. Sometimes it just breaks a child's spirit other times it creates a strong desire to pay the parents back.

Old 01-10-2012, 11:40 AM

56,988 posts, read 35,179,016 times
Laying hands on a kid is pathetic. You set them on the right path as toddlers, and even if they stray, they eventually come back if they have common sense. Slapping someone isn't going to accomplish a damn thing.

If you can't make your kids do what they're supposed to do when they're dependent on you for food, clothing and shelter, you've got bigger fish to fry....and you damn sure can't slap your way out of the problem.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies