Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-10-2012, 11:36 PM

14,975 posts, read 16,459,826 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
I couldn't wade thorough the blablabla but who exactly enforces this?
Texas already has certain requirements that must be met before an abortion is performed, such as a waiting period. I'm not sure exactly who enforces those, but I'm assuming the same agency will have to enforce the sonogram law.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2012, 12:01 AM

8,806 posts, read 6,110,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charolastra00 View Post
Try being pregnant during cancer or in the few years following treatment (some are fine to start back earlier).

I repeat: You were lucky.
Maybe using protection and not getting pregnant to begin with would be a good idea. I was not "lucky." I was careful.

Old 01-11-2012, 12:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hothulamaui View Post
just because only a tiny fraction of women have horrible pregnancies it is a non starter? so not to worry about the small amount of women who would die in back alley or coat hanger abortions if we make it illegal? such a small amount of abortions are due to incest or rape, a non starter too?

thinking like that is a value judgment reducing women in circumstances you don't find significant to care about

women are not stupid, we do not have our heads in the sand, we know what abortion is. we know what it means to be pregnant. we do not need to see an ultra sound to make us "understand"

this law is about punishment and laying a guilt trip on women who dare to make a choice for abortion.
It's not a guilt trip. I'm so over the "back alley" and "coat hanger" discussions, do you really honestly think that would happen? I am of the opinion that life is life and it should not be killed no matter what, but that is not a part of this discussion.

Old 01-11-2012, 12:06 AM

24,868 posts, read 24,386,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andrea3821 View Post
Maybe using protection and not getting pregnant to begin with would be a good idea. I was not "lucky." I was careful.
And accidents still happen. Protection doesn't always work. And before you say "shouldn't have sex", even married couples don't want to have kids all the time.

Are you under the notion that God only allows sexual intercourse for breeding, nothing more?

Old 01-11-2012, 12:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hothulamaui View Post
what the heck, yes. she can just give the thing up for adoption and never concern herself again. turning it over to a stranger you just bet will take care of it right. easy peazie
LOL You just proved how ignorant you are of the adoption process.

Old 01-11-2012, 12:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Annie53 View Post
I don't think a tech would let you see the screen if they are looking for cysts or tumors, let alone point out structures. Would you consider a tumor a stucture?

They are going to point out my ovary....so I can obviosly see a growth on it, yet they are not allowed to tell me they see a growth on it? I just don't think they would be allowed to do that.
Cyst yes, tumor, I don't know. I'm not sure they can tell the difference on u/s. Once you have enough u/s, you start to know what you're looking at.

Old 01-11-2012, 12:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by charolastra00 View Post
At least in my state, they are not allowed to point them out by law. Techs cannot read a scan to the patients. Ever.
Fair enough. But I'm sure you could watch. They assume everyone is dumb and has no clue what they're looking at.

Old 01-11-2012, 12:34 AM

11,531 posts, read 10,289,340 times
It's texas, the land that gave us Bush and Perry, what do you expect

Old 01-11-2012, 12:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Annie53 View Post
And who supported you while you were unable to work?

Do you think all women have someone to take care of them?

Some women would have lost their jobs and ended up stuck on welfare living in a nasty slum somewhere with a baby.

You can't judge all women by YOUR circumstance.
1) My husband.

2) Yes. All women have parents and they all have someone who got them pregnant. Most have friends.

3) It's against the law to fire someone b/c they are pregnant. If they don't want to be in a nasty slum, they don't have to get pregnant to begin with, or keep the baby once they have it.If they are in the nasty slum, however, they get welfare, so who knows, fo rthem it might be a toss up.

4) I'm well aware of that. But I can put myself in others' shoes. I just wish they would put themselves in the more responsible shoes of someone like me.

Old 01-11-2012, 12:50 AM

24,868 posts, read 24,386,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andrea3821 View Post
1) My husband.

2) Yes. All women have parents and they all have someone who got them pregnant. Most have friends.

3) It's against the law to fire someone b/c they are pregnant. If they don't want to be in a nasty slum, they don't have to get pregnant to begin with, or keep the baby once they have it.If they are in the nasty slum, however, they get welfare, so who knows, fo rthem it might be a toss up.

4) I'm well aware of that. But I can put myself in others' shoes. I just wish they would put themselves in the more responsible shoes of someone like me.
It is not against the law to fire someone because they are pregnant. My cousin just lost her job because she became pregnant. No maternity, and they would do their best to keep her position for her, but no pay for her time off.

When you are barely making ends meet, you can't afford just to take maternity leave without pay.

I'm not sure what world you live in, but there are a lot of people whos parents have died, and they don't have any family.

Rose colored glasses me thinks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies