Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-11-2012, 01:05 PM

12,755 posts, read 9,647,591 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wjtwet View Post
They know they ar epregant but they have not seen the baby and that all the law does. Your argument fails
I bet at the time most abortions are performed, no one could tell either the sex or race of the fetus. Bet they all look the same at 1-2-3 months gestation.

So, what's the point of looking at it, again?

Do I have to see my cancer before it's treated?
Do I have to see my broken bone before it's set?
Do I have to see my herniated disk before I can begin physical therapy?

etc., etc., etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2012, 01:06 PM

2,526 posts, read 3,004,783 times
Quote:
If they know then why does looking at a sonogram hurt?
I didn't claim that it hurts. I just want to know why it is necessary for a lay person to look at an image destined for a medical professional.

You see, medical professionals allow lay people to look at sonogram images when the patients ask. This is done because expecting parents tend to be curious. However, from a medical standpoint, this is not necessary, it is simply a courtesy.

Some expecting parents are not interested in seeing such an image - they certainly can't be forced to look at the image, either.

Old 01-11-2012, 01:08 PM

12,481 posts, read 10,222,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
looking at the sonogram isnt' the issue, nobody has to physically look. It's the point that one has to be scheduled, waited on, performed (it can be uncomfortable btw), and paid for.
But as far as this law goes it in no way stops a woman from getting an abortion

Old 01-11-2012, 01:10 PM

12,669 posts, read 20,447,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by afoigrokerkok View Post
Texas already has a lot of legal requirements before an abortion. I assume the goal is to make abortion providers so frustrated that they just stop performing abortions.
It is so the woman has a full and conscious idea of what it is all about before she does it and that is not all bad.
There are many women years ago that had one done had not idea of what it entailed nor did they get counseling before hand and suffered from nightmares from it.

Old 01-11-2012, 01:10 PM

37,135 posts, read 42,214,810 times
Quote:
That's correct. It's just a road block, which is all you can do when you can't actually STOP anything by law. But games like that aren't impressive. It's a huge waste of time, energy, money, etc. However, I'm sure some lawyers have eternal job security becasue of it, so I guess that's something. When you hitch your wagon to a political football issue like this, and get paid for it, you never have to worry.

Old 01-11-2012, 01:11 PM

12,669 posts, read 20,447,035 times
Quote:
And it shouldn't either. It is every woman's choice to choose to get one or not. NO Gov should ever be able to tell an adult woman she cannot.

Old 01-11-2012, 01:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miborn View Post
It is so the woman has a full and conscious idea of what it is all about before she does it and that is not all bad.
There are many women years ago that had one done had not idea of what it entailed nor did they get counseling before hand and suffered from nightmares from it.
Explaining a D&C or other procedure and forcing a woman to look at a sonogram are really two different things. Forcing a woman to look at a sonogram explains exactly NOTHING.

Oh, and thanks for thinking women are so utterly stupid as to not have a 'full and conscious idea' of what an abortion is all about.

Holy cow...

Old 01-11-2012, 01:17 PM

8,806 posts, read 6,110,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annie53 View Post
No, you can't put yourself in others' shoes when you do not even have a grasp on the realities of this world. Your statement that all women have parents and families to take care of them is just one GLARING example of that.

Responsible like you? How responsible would you be without your husband, your parents and your friends there to take care of you? How would you ever manage without someone to run to when things got tough?
OMG You are so good at doing research, why don't you find out how it is ILLEGAL to fire someone due to pregnancy status. If you have to take time off, you need to arrange it with your employer, not just not show up. THAT is what might get you fired, not b/c you are pregnant.

I WOULDN'T HAVE GOTTEN PREGNANT IF I DID NOT HAVE A HUSBAND! I also do not have my parents and friends to take care of me as we relocated cross-country right before I got pregnant. It can be done.

I do not live in Andrealand or fantasyland or whatever other rude comment you want to make. I live on planet Earth, where people are supposed to take responsibility for their actions.

Old 01-11-2012, 01:18 PM

8,806 posts, read 6,110,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
It's happened before and it would happen again if women were denied abortions. Abortion is probably one of the oldest medical procedures. Consequences of a law do need to be considered.
How in God's name can a coat hanger cause an abortion? How does it get through the cervix and mucus plug??

Old 01-11-2012, 01:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrea3821 View Post
OMG You are so good at doing research, why don't you find out how it is ILLEGAL to fire someone due to pregnancy status. If you have to take time off, you need to arrange it with your employer, not just not show up. THAT is what might get you fired, not b/c you are pregnant.

I WOULDN'T HAVE GOTTEN PREGNANT IF I DID NOT HAVE A HUSBAND! I also do not have my parents and friends to take care of me as we relocated cross-country right before I got pregnant. It can be done.

I do not live in Andrealand or fantasyland or whatever other rude comment you want to make. I live on planet Earth, where people are supposed to take responsibility for their actions.
What?!?!?!

How can you say that 'all women have parents and friends to care...' when you didn't, yourself!

You just killed any credibility you may have had with other posters.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies