Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-27-2014, 06:45 PM

587 posts, read 1,405,234 times

Advertisements

A study released some months ago concluded about 40% of white people have zero non-white friends.

http://www.reuters.com/article/2013/...97704320130808

About 25% of non-whites were shown not to have friends outside of their race as well. For the most segregated minority of black people, it is somewhat understandable seeing as blacks have been pressured to live in certain neighborhoods, areas and even entire cities amongst nothing but blacks for eons. The study concluded that Asians and Latinos have the most friends outside of their own race as these cultures have been more open to integration in friendships. Also, Asians are the least segregated racial group in America. It was also concluded that western states like California showed the most integration in terms of friendships and relationships.

A lot of this is mostly an issue of demographics seeing as the United States, as a whole, is over 70% white. I can imagine it would be very, very hard for a white person in Maine or North Dakota to make non-white friends as there are very few non-whites in swaths of the country.

But this nationwide trend also reflects the rampant segregation we have in America. The vast majority of Americans live in suburban and urban areas. In most metro areas, there is a healthy representation of ethnic minorities.

However, segregation remains a huge problem in this country. Even some of America's most diverse big cities, like New York, are profoundly segregated. Segregation is very, very pronounced in metro areas like Detroit where nearly 100% of the black population resides in the city and nearly 100% of the white population resides in the suburbs. I live in the DC Area, which is so segregated, that you can literally cut the metro area in half along roughly 13-16th st./Georgia Ave in Washington, DC, proper to separate the greater white DC metro area in the west in NW DC and bordering Montgomery County and Northern Virginia from the greater black DC metro area to the east in NE/SE DC and bordering PG County. It is even more troubling to know that segregation is so complete in much of the DC Area that most blacks in predominantly white Montgomery County, Maryland are not native-born blacks, but they are recent African immigrants or the children of these immigrants.

Whites, statistically, show the least desire to cultivate interracial friendships. Why is this? Obviously, whites and many blacks in this country do not get along because of the long rocky history between the two groups. Many, many blacks are very resentful at whites, in general, because of the past history of slavery, Jim Crow, inner city ghettoization, police/legal mistreatment and systematic oppression from a white society that black people across this land are subjected to everyday of their lives.

Many Latinos and even many Asians also resent whites for similar reasons as blacks. However, the white-black relations are the most strained in most parts of this country although there are obvious exceptions everywhere. Upper income and educated whites get along with whitewashed Asians of similar social standing in many areas of the country. But ghetto Asians in California cities rarely associate with whites. Fresh off the border Latino immigrants tend to be ethnocentric, poorer urban dwelling Latino groups like Puerto Ricans NYC and Mexicans in urban California tend to dislike whites.

But do whites choose to befriend their own kind because they don't want to be constantly reminded that they should harbor white guilt? Minorities such as Asians are often forced to integrate and come into contact with other races seeing as Asians only represent 4% of the U.S. population. Whites in America living in racially diverse metro areas have the biggest option to completely cop out of integration by self-segregating themselves from other races. I live in a diverse town that is a little less than 50% white and I see it all the time among all races.

When whites are amongst themselves, like any other racial group, they feel they can say whatever they want no matter how racist and insensitive it comes off. I know this being mixed race and being able to pass for white and being surrounded by upper middle class suburban white people when they thought there were no minorities present. I heard some ugly ignorant racist things being said about every race except for white people. If they had known I wasn't white, they would have been walking on egg shells. This is because it is not socially acceptable for whites, especially liberal whites living in liberal areas, to be vocally and openly racist. I will admit that black people who are racist cannot be described as closet racists and are more open, honest and vocal in their bigotry from my own life experiences. Thoughts?

Last edited by LunaticVillage; 02-27-2014 at 07:12 PM..

Old 02-27-2014, 06:48 PM

4,130 posts, read 4,447,240 times
Well, I believe 40% of people who stay at home all day in order to answer surveys only have white friends.

Old 02-27-2014, 06:50 PM

79,903 posts, read 43,915,797 times
Who thought a racist poll like this was a good idea?

Old 02-27-2014, 07:00 PM

26,680 posts, read 28,584,450 times
Most people prefer to be around their own kind, whether we're talking about race, income, religion, or any other status. There are cultural and historical differences between groups of people, not to mention differences in genetics. I think it's highly ignorant to suggest that racism is the primary motivator in choosing who we choose to associate with.

But even if some people (of any color) are "racist" - so what? I think being racially aware and realistic is completely natural. It's healthy and good to want to associate with and protect your own kind.

Old 02-27-2014, 07:00 PM

8,289 posts, read 13,520,414 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EmeraldCityWanderer View Post
Well, I believe 40% of people who stay at home all day in order to answer surveys only have white friends.
I'm trying to wonder where 40% of these "white people" live? In a dungeon?

Old 02-27-2014, 07:02 PM

8,572 posts, read 8,476,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
Who thought a racist poll like this was a good idea?

Why is this poll racist? Just curious.

Old 02-27-2014, 07:03 PM

79,903 posts, read 43,915,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caribny View Post
Why is this poll racist? Just curious.
Separating people by color.

Old 02-27-2014, 07:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
Most people prefer to be around their own kind, whether we're talking about race, income, religion, or any other status. There are cultural and historical differences between groups of people, not to mention differences in genetics. I think it's highly ignorant to suggest that racism is the primary motivator in choosing who we choose to associate with.

But even if some people (of any color) are "racist" - so what? I think being racially aware and realistic is completely natural. It's healthy and good to want to associate with and protect your own kind.

This is fine provided that if a black male talks of racism from whites we don't suddenly hear that the USA is a color blind society and that any such accusations can only come from a racist person.

Old 02-27-2014, 07:06 PM

17,336 posts, read 9,152,766 times
I think these 'pollsters' and 'pundits' need to make up their minds and get on the same page.

Which is it? The USA will be majority Hispanic by 2020? or the USA is 70% "white" today?
Both can't be true.

Old 02-27-2014, 07:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
Separating people by color.

If people live in separate neighborhoods and form friendships based on race, aren't they already doing this?

So what's wrong with acknowledging this, and developing a closer understanding of its ramifications in a nation which has become so diverse that among pre school kids there is no longer any "majority" group?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies