Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-11-2012, 06:12 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,841,834 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Roma View Post
I'm a firearms instructor, hugely pro 2A, and I carry whenever legally possible. Having said that this thread is a total failure and this post just emphasizes that. Responsible gun owners know the laws of their home states and any state they intend to travel to. So they can tell their people that New York does not recognize their law? Seriously? The obligation to know the gun laws is on the people entering the state- not the state. I don't agree with strict gun control laws but that doesn't mean I can just choose to ignore them and do as I please. Here in Mass. we have very strict gun laws but things that are perfectly acceptable here are felonies in other states. For example I can carry in a bar here and I have no obligation to inform police officers who I may interact with that I'm carrying. If I leave my state and travel elsewhere it's 100% my responsibility to know the laws where I'm going and follow them. Sorry, roy. I normally like most of what you have to say but this is an epic thread fail.
well said rick. until these cases are adjudicated through SCOTUS, and a decision rendered there regarding concealed carry permits being accepted around the country like drivers licenses are now, we have to find out what the gun laws are in any state or municipality that we are going to travel to, and make the proper arraignments to get the proper permits, or not carry firearms in certain areas.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
Vermont also does not recognize any other state's concealed carry permits nor issues any.
true, but then vermont allows its citizens, and i think any one who can legally own a firearm(but dont quote me on that), to carry a concealed weapon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamofmonterey View Post
Its just easier to blame all legal statutes since 1960 on Obama
well us conservatives have to have some fun now dont we?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2012, 07:43 PM

14,492 posts, read 26,594,973 times
Why Adopt a Vermont-style CCW Law? - Gun Owners Of America

But it takes longer to get thru Burlington airport than JFK in NY.
seriously, no state will adapt the same laws as EVERY other state in the U.S. does anyone here travel?

Each area is different....and municipalities, city ordinances are written after legal precedents/incidents occur, hence the reason you have more laws in NYC...because they have been violated before.

this is how cases are brought to court, they arent just "randomly adjudicated". No judges or their docket have time for this.

Old 01-11-2012, 08:54 PM

1,615 posts, read 2,575,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stillkit View Post
It's called states rights. Any powers not specifically delegated to the federal government in the Constitution are reserved to the states.

Who on the right objects to that?
but marriage is a FEDERAL thing with FEDERAL benefits. any federal benefit given to straight married couple must be given to gay married couples.

this is due to the 14th amendment equal protection clause.

Old 01-11-2012, 09:16 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,485,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbohm View Post
true, but then vermont allows its citizens, and i think any one who can legally own a firearm(but dont quote me on that), to carry a concealed weapon.
Yea, I was being pedantic. Vermont has no laws on concealed carry, so there's nothing for the state to recognize. It doesn't issue concealed carry permits. You can't bring a gun into a courthouse or a school, there are signs about that, but that's about the only rule. There are a few issues for Vermonters bringing to other states that do issue concealed carry permits because there's no concealed carry permit for the other state to recognize.

Old 01-12-2012, 08:49 AM

28,353 posts, read 16,381,866 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sol11 View Post
I found it interesting that cities (like New York City) can have their own laws that supercede the state law regarding handguns. Looks like we need a federal handgun license that would be accepted in every city and state, and let the feds set the requirements. Same should apply for automobile titles and the minimum requirements for liability insurance on automobiles.

Well, it's like medical marijuana - there are *states* that allow it, but there is absolutely no Fed level provision for medicinal marijuana use. So, the ATF could raid one of those medical marijuana places any time they choose to.

Old 01-12-2012, 10:13 AM

25,231 posts, read 16,938,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roysoldboy View Post
It appears that New York may not recognize driver licenses from other states if they can get by with not recognizing these licenses. Also, I guess they won't have to recognize marriages from other states and on and on. Bloomberg and Obama are surely getting by with something here.

New York Tourist from Ohio Caught With Three Guns in Hotel Room | TheBlaze.com
Interesting how some righties scream STATES RIGHTS from the mountain top but then when a State does exercise those rights and they don't like it they scream FOUL. Maybe some of you will finally grasp that to many diferent States Rights (Laws and Regulations) and you end up with a mess. We are ONE Nation folks, when are we going to start acting like it.

Old 01-12-2012, 10:40 AM

44,882 posts, read 33,268,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Casper in Dallas View Post
Interesting how some righties scream STATES RIGHTS from the mountain top but then when a State does exercise those rights and they don't like it they scream FOUL. Maybe some of you will finally grasp that to many diferent States Rights (Laws and Regulations) and you end up with a mess. We are ONE Nation folks, when are we going to start acting like it.
One nation in which such diverse populations exist and trying run it from Washington DC, as you suggest, will not soon work but maybe we should try to do what the Obamas want done.

We have lived with that mess you suggest will happen for nearly 250 years and those of you who want one government rule wouldn't like it if we had it.

Old 01-12-2012, 11:49 AM

14,492 posts, read 26,594,973 times
Federal state and local statutes are different. Federal encompasses the broader issues, state the immediate issues, and local the most important to that city/ hamlet or municipality. laws are complex.

For example. A neigbor has trash in his front yard and refuses to have the city cart it away. Someone else callls and the local municipality fines him. Its a nuanced fact of CIVILIZED society that a network of laws are in place to keep people from running amok.

A concept the far right cannot seem to grasp, since it involves analytical thinking and reasoning.

Old 01-12-2012, 12:24 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,485,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sol11 View Post
I found it interesting that cities (like New York City) can have their own laws that supercede the state law regarding handguns.
New York City is given a lot of independent power, more than other cities in the state. It has about 45% of the state's population and a higher percentage of the state's economy, so it has a lot of privileges.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamofmonterey View Post
Each area is different....and municipalities, city ordinances are written after legal precedents/incidents occur, hence the reason you have more laws in NYC...because they have been violated before.
And if few or no incidents occur, the area wouldn't bother to pass any gun laws like in Vermont.

Old 01-12-2012, 12:28 PM

68,329 posts, read 54,389,283 times
As far as DLs go, try becoming familiar with the concept of reciprocity.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies