Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-11-2012, 11:38 AM

31,767 posts, read 28,818,277 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
I have no opinion on the laws themselves.
My comments in this thread had to do with the funding part.
Not to my post you responded to. It was about a law, and sticking with it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2012, 11:39 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,481,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EinsteinsGhost View Post
Not to my post you responded to. It was about a law, and sticking with it.
That's deflection away from the funding of a program which is what this thread is about.

Start another one if you want to debate the validity of Blue Laws.

Old 01-11-2012, 11:44 AM

31,767 posts, read 28,818,277 times
Quote:
That's deflection away from the funding of a program which is what this thread is about.

Start another one if you want to debate the validity of Blue Laws.
Then you ought to start with post number one, which has a one-liner: Nanny Statism.

BTW, all laws are supposed to be funded one way or the other. This thread, is about an issue with law, not its funding. And my post that you responded to, certainly had NOTHING to do with funding itself but the law and a comparison to my own state. But hey, deflection is an easy word to spell.

Old 01-11-2012, 11:44 AM

17,440 posts, read 28,602,920 times
Al Smith would turn over in his grave.

Old 01-11-2012, 11:57 AM

18,782 posts, read 17,360,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vsmoove View Post
I think you overstate the balance by quite a bit. I live in the South where in many places you can't buy alcohol on a Sunday... bars close at 1 or 2 am... it's legally permissible to discriminate against gays, etc... it's the same issue and, in my opinion, worse on the right.
I don't live in the South, I live in liberal WA so perhaps you have somewhat of a point. Tough to say. How much discrimination is there really against gays? WA is supposedly the most unchurched state in the union and we have always had pretty close to a ban on Sunday sales of hard liquor. It is only sold in state-run liquor stores which are largely closed on Sunday. They've let up on that a little the last couple years to try to get more revenue for the state due to post-2008 deficits.

Maybe my perspective is skewed being in WA. But I just can't see the right being even close to the left in the nannyism race. The list coming from the left is virtually endlesss--tobacco, booze, guns, drugs, auto regs, sex crusades (yes there is more of that coming now from left than from religious right), drugs (right & left probably equally guilty here). And now the relatively new nannyism field of food/obesity, which promises unlimited horizons for busybodies. I don't see that Sunday blue laws in a few southern states comes close to balancing all that.

Old 01-11-2012, 12:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wutitiz View Post
The nannyism from the left not only has a chance, to a large extent it's already in place.
With overwhelming GOP support.

Old 01-11-2012, 12:30 PM

31,290 posts, read 20,740,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailordave View Post
Told you this would happen. Non-smokering liberals cheered the smoking ban. I said I was against the ban because it sets precident for limiting personal freedom to use legal items. Now they've started going after certain types of food and are doubling down going after alcohol as well.
Yours is the most intelligent post on this board.

That is exactly what I have been posting for quite some time. People don't object to government taking away freedom until it impacts them personally. And that's how government power grows every year until we get where we are today... totally out of control government power.

Old 01-11-2012, 12:32 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,481,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadking2003 View Post
Yours is the most intelligent post on this board.

That is exactly what I have been posting for quite some time. People don't object to government taking away freedom until it impacts them personally. And that's how government power grows every year until we get where we are today... totally out of control government power.
Me three. Give them an inch and they will take 10 miles.
It didn't take long either. As soon as one restriction gets in place they are off working on the next.

Old 01-11-2012, 12:34 PM

31,290 posts, read 20,740,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by A&M_Indie_08 View Post

Alcohol SHOULD have a high tax on it to offset all the problems it causes

Using your logic, we should have a high tax on anything that causes problems. Let's start with automobiles, motorcycles, bicycles, jogging shoes, hammers, knives, saws, drills, nail guns, guns, etc, etc.

Old 01-11-2012, 12:37 PM

Quote:
Me three. Give them an inch and they will take 10 miles.
It didn't take long either. As soon as one restriction gets in place they are off working on the next.
Because they are addicted to power and control.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies