Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-12-2006, 06:16 PM

9,986 posts, read 18,669,506 times

Advertisements

No one holds a gun to their head to make them work there, why do they apply when they know what some employees have gone through, yes I said some not all, there are plenty of other jobs, I know my 18 year old found one, somewhere other than Walmart although he did apply there.

Old 09-12-2006, 06:40 PM

2,290 posts, read 2,471,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gregsbabe1 View Post
Excuse me but Walmart or their buy cheap ways did not get me in the situation we are in today. We have to strech every dollar because other companies mark their products up to fatten the wallets of their ceo's and we are taxed so much that are paychecks are a joke.

clap clap clap clap clap

Old 09-12-2006, 06:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by momof2dfw View Post
HUH? Who said anything about being a "Lib"? I'm by no means a "Liberal". LOL, that one is funny.

I don't bash any business for being "rich". Or person for being "rich". I'm not "rich" but in some peoples eyes I may be "rich". In others I may be poor. We are each "rich" in our own ways. Like I said, it is ironic how some complain about having to stretch every dollar and about their job situation and all but then turn around and support the very ways that got them there. That is what I call "the pot calling the kettle black".

I never said you were a Liberal I haven't heard the talking points come out of you.

I'm not sure how Walmart is keeping anyone poor, people don't have to work there they choose to willingly.

Old 09-12-2006, 06:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by a1m1700 View Post
clap clap clap clap clap
I sure hope that clapping was a good thing!!

Old 09-12-2006, 06:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark S. View Post
--) Abuse of their employees. Poor wages, no benefits, forcing employees to work off the clock so they don't have to pay them overtime.

--) Unfair practices that put locally-owned businesses out of business

--) Hiring of illegal aliens

--) Widespread use of sweat shops and slave-worker conditions in Third World countries

So, in light of that, my question: Why do conservatives love Wal-Mart so much? Do low prices really excluse flagrant illegal and immoral business practices?

And I really hesitate to use the term "conservative." There's really nothing "conservative" about it. It's liberalism in its most classic sense --- "laissez-faire" capitalism. This neo-conservative mindset for some reason doesn't think Big Business needs to play by the rules that the rest of us do.

If Teddy Roosevelt were alive today, he'd drive most of the Republicans (and Democrats) out with whips and a real big stick.

Again , no one is forced to work in this country off the clock, it's called walking out the door and getting a job at Burger King if you want to get paid cheap. Do you have a problem with Burger King? They ask people to work off the clock, and they hire illegals too.

That was my first job when I was 17, my first day I worked and 8 hour shift making sandwiches and I couldn't wait to go home. They asked me to punch out and stay 2 more hours. I told them no and my supervisor turned to me and said I'll ask you again and I said no. Then he said this doesn't look good and I handed him my uniform and left. He didn't run after me and chain me to the sandwich counter.

Hilary Clinton is no conservative neither is your enemy Bush. I haven't seen a conservative in Washington in years.

Old 09-12-2006, 06:54 PM

Quote:
I sure hope that clapping was a good thing!!
Yes that was an applause for good points. That won't change any minds on here though.

Old 09-12-2006, 06:55 PM

Who knew Walmart was such a hot button for so many people?! I wonder how many of them a closet Walmart shoppers?!!!lol

Old 09-12-2006, 07:00 PM

Quote:
Who knew Walmart was such a hot button for so many people?! I wonder how many of them a closet Walmart shoppers?!!!lol

Yeah I know I was just thinking that, it's a hot topic and I was also thinking how many of these people are closet shoppers.

Old 09-12-2006, 07:34 PM

2,098 posts, read 6,329,014 times
I can't believe all the conversation in here and I can't believe that for as many times that gregsbabe said she can only afford Walmart prices....that no one has made any other suggestions!!!! Gregsbabe1, what about joining a price club such as Sam's Club or Costco?! Their stuff is in bulk but a lot of it is worth it. I buy their milk, eggs, paper products, etc. Things can be frozen so they don't go bad, or what my parents and I used to do was split everything, it saved so much more money. Why don't you look into it? The membership is renewed yearly, they send coupons in the mail and believe it or not they sometimes have cute clothes for the kids in summer or even winter coats. I don't know how they work with ethics, my friends brother worked there and got paid great plus benefits, he loved it (but then he moved, so he had to leave). Anyway, I suggest you look into it, my husband and I aren't the wealthiest people either and we save a lot by going there.

Old 09-12-2006, 07:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pixieshmoo View Post
I can't believe all the conversation in here and I can't believe that for as many times that gregsbabe said she can only afford Walmart prices....that no one has made any other suggestions!!!! Gregsbabe1, what about joining a price club such as Sam's Club or Costco?! Their stuff is in bulk but a lot of it is worth it. I buy their milk, eggs, paper products, etc. Things can be frozen so they don't go bad, or what my parents and I used to do was split everything, it saved so much more money. Why don't you look into it? The membership is renewed yearly, they send coupons in the mail and believe it or not they sometimes have cute clothes for the kids in summer or even winter coats. I don't know how they work with ethics, my friends brother worked there and got paid great plus benefits, he loved it (but then he moved, so he had to leave). Anyway, I suggest you look into it, my husband and I aren't the wealthiest people either and we save a lot by going there.
Oh yep, already a member to that as well. But some things arejust not meant to be bought in bulk.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies