Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-11-2012, 01:31 PM

2,745 posts, read 3,958,879 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by filihok View Post
Absolutely not.

But now I go back to my original post.

If the founders of this nation believed that the ability to possess arms was the only way to ensure for your own defense, how can the US deny other nations the ability to possess arms?
We don't, just the bomb. They have a pretty large army. They are the 12th most powerful nation in the world.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2012, 01:35 PM

78,405 posts, read 60,579,949 times
Quote:
Absolutely not.

But now I go back to my original post.

If the founders of this nation believed that the ability to possess arms was the only way to ensure for your own defense, how can the US deny other nations the ability to possess arms?
Because nuclear proliferation was seen as a scary thing decades ago and so a number of countries signed treaties saying they wouldn't join the nuclear club etc.

Several either did not sign the treaty or developed then anyway (Pak, India, South Africa, North Korea, Israel etc.

Are you seriously looking for there to be some sort of moral high ground in this whole mess? Iran wants nukes and is developing them. The US and their allies oppose this and is trying to stop it from happening. There is no "good guy" in all of this, it just *is*.

Old 01-11-2012, 01:38 PM

15,080 posts, read 20,472,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post

Are you seriously looking for there to be some sort of moral high ground in this whole mess? Iran wants nukes and is developing them. The US and their allies oppose this and is trying to stop it from happening. There is no "good guy" in all of this, it just *is*.
Agreed. Which is why we need to stop trying to claim it (the moral high ground).

Old 01-11-2012, 01:43 PM

7,545 posts, read 8,326,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MIKEETC View Post
...and don't it preemptively.
When have we done that or threatened to do so?

Old 01-11-2012, 01:50 PM

9,855 posts, read 11,930,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyGem View Post
Because Iran has said they will use a nuke to obliterate Israel.

Don't you pay any attention to what Amadinejad says? Or do you think he's lying?
Not lying exactly, but certainly not making a factual statement. Offensive use of a nuclear weapon against Israel would be suicide for Iran. As we know, Islamic types are a pretty suicidal bunch but even for them the suicide has to have a reason. Its Palestine that would have a motive to suicide in such a fashion and they are nowhere near building one for themselves. When pump gas in the U.S. hits $10/gal. the U.S. will attack Iran for their reserves, if not sooner. That's their feeling on it and we haven't made much effort to disabuse them of their opinion. I worked for years in the NYC prison system. The main job of jailhouse personnel is the ongoing, unending and unwinable battle to disarm inmates who absolutely do not trust in the ability of the prison guards to keep them safe. They will make weapons, deadly weapons, from buttons, toothbrushes, cups, saucers... its endless. And no matter how much they are reasoned with, punished, beaten... killed. They do not stop. The smart thing, the expedient thing, in light of the mandatory defense cuts that are about to kick in because the Supercommittee failed to reach a compromise, would be to nuke Iran down to bedrock right now. Its more expensive to keep up this covert war on them.

H (I leave it to the reader to decide which parts of my post are sarcasm)

Old 01-11-2012, 01:51 PM

12,149 posts, read 8,417,223 times
Quote:
How hypocritical.

In the US we are guaranteed to right to posses weapons for our self-defense.

Why should these rights be for the gander but not for the goose?
If I owned a weapon and threatened to shoot my neighbor, I think the police would take notice, even in the good old USA.

Last edited by TrapperJohn; 01-11-2012 at 02:23 PM..

Old 01-11-2012, 01:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whatyousay View Post
When have we done that or threatened to do so?
I'm saying don't do it.

[unlike some on CD who want to attack Iran now]

Old 01-11-2012, 01:54 PM

7,545 posts, read 8,326,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MIKEETC View Post
I'm saying don't do it.

[unlike some on CD who want to attack Iran now]
Who wants to drop nuclear bombs on Iran? Wow, this is the first I've heard of that idea.

Old 01-11-2012, 01:55 PM

13,186 posts, read 14,976,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyGem View Post
Yes and as long as they persevere to create a nuke other scientists will be picked off by MI5 and Mossad and covert CIA operatives.
Lucky Gem is one supporter of "terrorism" as it's defined in the USA.

American and Israeli terrorist supporters.

See how easily and casually they ignore International Law? How the blow off sovereignty of other Nations? How the couldn't care less about the innocent Iranians murdered by Israeli's?

It's sickening. ..

Old 01-11-2012, 01:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whatyousay View Post
Who wants to drop nuclear bombs on Iran? Wow, this is the first I've heard of that idea.
Correction on my part. I meant preemptive war in general.

[although there's probably those who want to preemptively nuke 'em, as well]
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies