Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-11-2012, 08:18 PM

4,050 posts, read 3,958,072 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mary phagan View Post
I wasnt there,were you.He was found guilty in a court of law and it went to the supreme court and they refused to overturn the conviction.The high court knew he would be lynched yet refused to step in.Guess what,not a single Southerner was on the Sumpreme court.So the northern dominated court did not stop this.He had the best lawyers money could buy and was lynched 3 yrs after the murder.So he had due process.So what is your point?
My God are you really that stupid????

He was found guilty in a "kangaroo court", which was what Blacks, Jews, and others received, and you equate that with justice??

A Lynch mob breaks into jail steals out a man, torture and lynch him, use him as a hateful scapegoat because he's a "filthy northern Jew", and you tell us he received "due process".

No wonder you people couldn't win a insurrection.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2012, 08:19 PM

31,290 posts, read 20,726,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestCobb View Post
The 9/11 hijackers died fro something they believed in too. That doesn't make their cause just or honorable. I'm not besmirching the characters of all Confederates. I'm sure many of them were good men, just misguided. That doesn't excuse their acts of treason.

So do you excuse George Washington's "acts of treason"?

Old 01-11-2012, 08:21 PM

31,290 posts, read 20,726,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Savoir Faire View Post
The confederacy fought the British.

LMFA. What you drinking man? I'll have one

I guess you don't know history very well. Lots of southerners fought the British. Try reading a little about The Swampfox and many others.

Like I said, Southerners are 1-1 by your count.

And actually the record is better than that. Southerners helped win WWI, WWII, Korea,etc.

Old 01-11-2012, 08:22 PM

57 posts, read 35,668 times
My respect is for would-be soliders who refuse to fight in an unjust war.

What is all this talk about "class"???

4,050 posts, read 3,958,072 times
Quote:
I live eight miles from where that photo was taken. The native people of this area are as sophisticated, kind and well mannered as any I've encountered across the country. It's unfair to impugn them with that photo. Shall I post the picture of the Bostonian from the 70s beating a black man with an American flag in a misguided attempt to make an ignorant point about all urban Irish Catholics?
This is the ACTUAL PHOTO of the lynching of Leo Frank!!!!

If reality of what people factually did is impugning on the "good nature" of the people that live in that area, then maybe they should not have broken the " filthy northern jew" out of the jail, tortured, murdered, and then invited women and children to desecrate his body.

The man on the far right in the straw hat is Newton A. Morris, a superior court judge.[51] The man on the far left can be seen holding a camera

12,997 posts, read 13,637,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasReb View Post
Your great-great grandfather didn't fight against the principles of the United States. Likely he fought to defend his home against invaders from the northern states who simply kept the name United States by default.

There is no contradiction at all with being a proud American and proud of one's Southern heritage and history. It is a matter of record that Southerners have always been disproportiontely represented in our armed forces.
I agree with you Tex on many points. When I was researching him, I was curious as to why he would enlist in 1864. He was 26 at that time. If he was going to join the cause, why not do so sooner? Or why change one's mind after years of bloody conflict? Then, I discovered that he enlisted around the time the Union Army got around to invading his area of North Carolina. I don't damn him for doing this.

I still have a hard time pardoning him for firing on the flag that flew over the great nation he was born into -- the flag his grandfather rallied behind to fight the British in an earlier war. After the war, he moved to Texas. Then, he moved up to Oklahoma, before finally settling in Seattle, where he died. I like to think he was born a southerner but died an American.

I have no qualms about southerners who are proud of their heritage and culture. There is a lot to be proud of. I do, however, have a problem with those few who don't think of themselves as Americans first. I have to say, most I encounter who don't feel this way are Texans. Some Texans seem to think it is "cute" to think of Texas as its own nation. I don't. I love this country. I put it first. If you don't, leave.

Old 01-11-2012, 08:25 PM

12,997 posts, read 13,637,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by natalie469 View Post
Wow, you are comparing 911 with this. I don't think so.
I knew the point I made was going to be lost on you even before I made it. My point is simply believing in a cause does not make it just. The confederates were traitors, and they were wrong.

Old 01-11-2012, 08:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadking2003 View Post
I agree. These same people probably spit on the soldiers returning from Viet Nam. I guess we lost that one too.

Every soldier who died fighting for any country is a hero. They are all the same. German soldiers in WWII are just like American soldiers in Iraq. Heroes who died fighting for their country. It's quite sad that some people think soldier heroes are only those who agree with their own position.

Of course, the winners always write history. I wonder what the Vietnamese are writing about our soldiers who died in that war. I seriously doubt that any are saying they want to **** on the graves of American soldiers. They surely have more class than that.
What makes soldiers, whether in the Civil War or WWII, exempt from the moral compass which guides the rest of us? Why is it okay for a "soldier" to commit war crimes and still be "honored" and "respected"....

IMO, honoring the Confederate soldiers is sending the wrong message. The Southern heritage of slavery is nothing to be proud of.

Old 01-11-2012, 08:28 PM

Quote:
I knew the point I made was going to be lost on you even before I made it. My point is simply believing in a cause does not make it just. The confederates were traitors, and they were wrong.
I knew it too.

Old 01-11-2012, 08:28 PM

46,943 posts, read 25,960,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadking2003 View Post
Correct. It was a needless war, and that's why Lincoln is the worst president this country has had. He killed almost a million US citizens for no reason. It could have been avoided.
Oh, please. The leaders of the Confederacy predicted war - and as one may recall, they took it upon themselves to fire the first rounds. It's just that they were certain that it'd be a short war - and that they'd win.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies