Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-11-2012, 05:04 PM

31,290 posts, read 20,692,854 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LarsMac View Post
I believe these "confederate Memorial Days" were set up by the states after the Feds set MLK Day as a holiday.

I know that when I was a kid, we never celebrated any such day.

Sorry, but you are way off base. This holiday was established 150 years ago... long before MLK was born.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2012, 05:04 PM

15,853 posts, read 35,071,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mary phagan View Post
In a few days several states will have a state holiday honoring our beloved Confederate leaders.I just want to thank the people of the South for keeping the honor of these heroes alive.I hope all true southerners will take a child niece or nephew to a battlefield site to keep this great tradition alive,always
Confederate Memorial Day

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Jump to: navigation, search
Confederate Memorial Day, also known as Confederate Decoration Day (Tennessee) and Confederate Heroes Day (Texas), is an official holiday and/or observance day in parts of the U.S. South as a day to honor those who died fighting for the Confederate States of America during the American Civil War. Nine states officially observe Confederate Memorial Day: Alabama, Florida, Georgia, Louisiana, Mississippi, North Carolina, South Carolina, Tennessee, and Texas.[1]
[edit] States and dates observed

StateDateRemarksAlabamaFourth Monday in April [SIZE=2][2][/SIZE]The surrender of Confederate General Joseph E. Johnston to Union General William Sherman on April 26, 1865.ArkansasThird Monday in January [SIZE=2][3][/SIZE]Robert E. Lee's birthday (state holiday combined with Martin Luther King, Jr. Day).FloridaApril 26 [SIZE=2][4][/SIZE][SIZE=2][5][/SIZE]See remarks at Alabama.GeorgiaApril 26 [SIZE=2][6][/SIZE]See remarks at Alabama.KentuckyJune 3 [SIZE=2][7][/SIZE]Jefferson Davis's birthday.LouisianaJune 3 [SIZE=2][6][/SIZE][SIZE=2][8][/SIZE]Jefferson Davis's birthday. Set by state law, Louisiana Revised Statues 1:55MarylandFirst Saturday of JuneMississippiLast Monday in April [SIZE=2][9][/SIZE]See remarks at Alabama.North CarolinaMay 10 [SIZE=2][6][/SIZE]The death of Thomas "Stonewall" Jackson in 1863 and the capture of Confederate president Jefferson Davis in 1865.PennsylvaniaSecond Saturday in MayObserved by the Pennsylvania Division of the Sons of Confederate Veterans.South CarolinaMay 10 [SIZE=2][10][/SIZE]See remarks at North Carolina.TennesseeJune 3 [SIZE=2][6][/SIZE]Jefferson Davis's birthday.TexasJanuary 19 [SIZE=2][6][/SIZE]Confederate Heroes Day. In 1973, the Texas legislature combined the previously official state holidays of Robert E. Lee and Jefferson Davis' birthdays into a single "Confederate Heroes Day" to honor all who had served the Southern Cause. In some years, this date may coincide with Martin Luther King, Jr. Day. State offices are partially staffed in recognition of this day.TexasApril 26 [SIZE=2][6][/SIZE]Confederate Memorial Day. Texas' official holiday is named Confederate Heroes Day and is celebrated on January 19. However, many local communities and Southern historical organizations within the state also observe a separate "Confederate Memorial Day" on April 26.VirginiaLast Monday in May [SIZE=2][6][/SIZE]Same as Memorial Day.[edit] References
  1. ^ Confederate Memorial Day.
  2. ^ Alabama State Code.
  3. ^ Arkansas Secretary of State Charlie Daniels.
  4. ^ [1] "The 2010 Florida Statutes(including Special Session A)", Retrieved 2011-07-25
  5. ^ City Data.
  6. ^ a b c d e f g Department of Veterans Affairs.
  7. ^ WorldWeb.
  8. ^ http://www.legis.state.la.us/lss/lss.asp?doc=74097
  9. ^ Mississippi Secretary of State.
  10. ^ South Carolina Code.
[hide] Holidays, observances, and celebrations in the United States
Works for me.

There is nothing wrong with honoring men and women who gave their life fighting for what they believed in. Even though I am not a "southerner", I feel much more in tune with a holiday commemorating sacrifices of the brave than a holiday that has been "created" for the sole purpose of buying someone a card.

20yrsinBranson

Old 01-11-2012, 05:06 PM

31,290 posts, read 20,692,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skinny Puppy View Post
Their right to own slaves??
Spin it however you choose. I'm sure you have already formed your opinion so I won't waste your time.

Old 01-11-2012, 05:06 PM

3,498 posts, read 2,213,735 times
Few observe Confederate Memorial Day | Online Athens

Old 01-11-2012, 05:10 PM

3,498 posts, read 2,213,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadking2003 View Post
Spin it however you choose. I'm sure you have already formed your opinion so I won't waste your time.
I honestly never heard of the holiday. I thought it was a day celebrating the confederacy. I see nothing wrong with honoring the dead, even if I disagree with their cause.

Old 01-11-2012, 05:14 PM

646 posts, read 800,272 times
Quote:
Their right to own slaves??
Less than 3% of confederate soldiers owned slaves.It was a war fought in our backyards,as a matter of fact recently in Ringgold,Ga,about 5 miles from here the remains of a herioc confederate soldier was unearthed with his Alabama medals and was laid to rest in a full Confederate funeral.It was beautiful.The southerner has been the most stereotyped,despised,written about,movies made about american by far.Yet we are over 60% of the fighting force in every war since The War of Northern Agression.America has never lost a war in their backyards but we have.Battlefields and little and big cemeteries alike liter our land.It is an honor for me never forget not only my ancestors but other southerners as well.I will gladly pass this along to every young child I can.

Old 01-11-2012, 05:19 PM

3,281 posts, read 6,262,549 times
Sherman's birthday is February 8th. Get your party hats and noisemakers ready!

Old 01-11-2012, 05:19 PM

37,068 posts, read 19,043,723 times
Quote:
I was going to quote a definition, but I see that definitions don't mean much to people. I didn't realize that White Southerns equaled confederacy. Any White southerners on here care to comment?
My family has lived near Columbia, S.C. since 1741. They never owned any slaves, but they fought for the Confederacy. My GGGfather was wounded near Richmond on the way home from the Second Manassas.

I was raised by lily-white bigots who only had one word for any race that wasn't them, and my Gfather was a member of the klan.

"Confederacy" here still means racist (today it travels under the name "heritage"), and there are a lot of people I personally know who would love to see the South returned to its former "glory".

The Civil War belongs in a museum.

Last edited by cuebald; 01-11-2012 at 06:01 PM..

Old 01-11-2012, 05:29 PM

46,891 posts, read 25,866,768 times
Reflect on the lives lost in a needless and ultimately futile conflict, sure. Memorial Day is a good day for that.

Honor the Confederacy leaders? Never.

Old 01-11-2012, 05:31 PM

11,754 posts, read 14,611,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadking2003 View Post
We should remember forever those that fought to defend their rights, their families and their farms. You may not agree with them, but they are heroes nonetheless.

The soldiers that fought on the side of the South are exactly equal to those who fought on the side of the North. And both are the same as those that fought in our Revolutionary war.
Heroes? No.

The soldiers that fought on the side of the South are exactly equal to those who fought on the side of Hitler, only for a different system of racial oppression.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies