Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-18-2012, 02:44 PM

10,239 posts, read 19,603,780 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by stan in san diego View Post
Those in the Deep South were treated very badly, the ones in the border states not quite. But the all descended from folks, who had been ripped from their families and brought to this country on wretched slave ships on which many of them died and were thrown to the sharks. On our golden shores the men and women were fattened and cleaned up, stripped naked while every pore was examined. Slave owners routinely sold off families person by person. 'Christian' ministers were the worst, preaching on Sunday morning, admonishing the slaves to obey their masters and then whipping the hell out of Sadie on Monday morning to keep the rest of them in line. How'd you like it if all this happened to yo' mamma, boy?
Stan? I think you should start from the beginning and direct your outrage toward African who sold other Africans into slavery to begin with. Dont you reckon...?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2012, 02:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fox Terrier View Post
Those Africans wouldn't have been able to sell if there were no willing buyers.
If pigs had wings they'd be eagles.

Why did the Africans slave sellers practice slavery themselves...? Why didn't they just refuse to engage in the slave-trade at all?

Old 01-18-2012, 03:01 PM

Quote:
The sentiment was much more the norm in the South. And it was mostly Christian-based sentiment. I asked you to post the Cornerstone speech more for my benefit than anything. I haven't read it in a long while. I'm a historian and theologian by training and have no dog in this hunt. You'll never hear me trade quotes. I'm a Midwesterner but not a Northern apologist.
That's great, Stan, and I respect and admire that profession of yours as you say it is. BUT...that doesn't necesarrily mean my own outlook/vision related to the same must automatically square with your own, my friend.

To the point, you have in the past many times, brought up the so-called "Cornerstone Speech" in an accusatory way. Am I wrong about that?

Old 01-18-2012, 03:05 PM

6,793 posts, read 5,660,890 times
Quote:
Many Northerners opposed slavery.
Many indeed, but that was not my POINT. My point was that Most Northerners were racist and would have the same attitudes towards blacks as Southerners..

Old 01-18-2012, 03:10 PM

Quote:
The South attacked first. They were trying to take all the Federal property for themselves, starting with Sumter.
If the Union had left Sumter voluntarily, the South WOULD NOT have followed them into DC. The South would not have invaded the NORTH.. you know that! Lincoln wanted the Union whole and the South wanted to be free from the NORTH.. nothing more, nothing less.

Old 01-18-2012, 03:15 PM

Quote:
The Union blacks were eventually given equal pay, too. The Confederacy didn't initiate that policy. It was initiated by Black Union soldiers, especially the Mass 54th. And do you realize the main difference between Northern and Southern black soldiers, beside the staggering difference in numbers?
Eventually? Yes, they were. But no way around that the South started the "equal pay" concept. This is a fact so many of northern apologists (and I accept you are not one of these), either don't know, try to gloss over once they cannot deny it. Also? In the former Confederate States? Blacks were given pensions under the same qualifications as whites. They were even listed (in some states) as "Colored Soldiers". Can you point to something comparable in the northern states? If so, great...but I am just asking.

Another thing? Blacks were authorized into state regiments from the very beginning in the Confederate formation...something strictly forbidden in the North. Talk about numbers? Also...ok...and this is more speculative than making a projection as to what would or wouldn't....sheer numbers? At the very end, 300.000 blacks were enlisted into the Confederate army as armed soldiers...and apparently there was no overt coersion to do so. Hmmmmm...wonder what would have happened if that had come to fruition!

Last edited by TexasReb; 01-18-2012 at 03:49 PM..

Old 01-18-2012, 03:43 PM

6,897 posts, read 4,751,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ozzie679 View Post
...the states right to continue the practice of slavery. It wasn't the only issue, but because of it's existence, slavery is NOT a moot point. Anybody who says otherwise is trying to spin the facts. Slavery falls under the veil of "states rights".
No, it wasn't a moot point, but the war was fought as stated by Lincoln was ''to preserve the union''. here...

Top Five Causes of the Civil War

Old 01-18-2012, 03:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Quote:
''General Robert E. Lee did not own slaves. His wife inherited slaves from her father. He freed those for which he could find jobs. He did not free those too old to work and support themselves''.

In addition, Lee's father-inlaw, a grandson of Martha Washington, had another daughter, Maria Carter Syphax, by one of his slaves. He freed her and her children and gave her a plot of land of her own.
Lee and his wife sounded like pretty nice people.

Old 01-18-2012, 04:04 PM

Quote:
Wrong. Read the 4 primary declarations of causes.
Got news for ya, slavery was only mostly an issue hyped up by the north to get symathy of the northern population for the war. Here read these...
Ordinances of Secession of the 13 Confederate States of America Yes the south wanted to keep slavery, but I believe even if they had won the war, I don't think slavery would have lasted more than a few years with the invention of the cotten gin.

Old 01-18-2012, 06:34 PM

The invention of the Cotten Gin was what made slavery flourish in the South, it certainly wasn't going to help END it. The way I understand it, the Cotton Gin is the sole device that made the cotton industry profitable in the South. The Cotton Gin prolonged slavery in the South more than any single event or thing. Slavery would have died out in the South just as it did in the North because it was no longer profitable if not for the Cotton Gin.. The Cotton Gin didn't pick the cotton but more cotton picking was required to make the Cotton Gin worthwhile and guess who did the picking.. you got it! Slaves and more of them!

Heck, I always blamed Eli Whitney for the Civil War.

Last edited by mco65; 01-18-2012 at 07:13 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies