Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2012, 10:42 AM

4,255 posts, read 3,478,526 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eleanora1 View Post
Enforce our immigration laws. Send Mexico's underclass back to Mexico where they belong. You simply can't have unlimited immigration from a relatively poor nation to a relatively rich one. You'll bring both nations down.

Seriously. One of the best and easiest ways to help our own poor would be to send back illegals. They have no claim on this country. They particularly hurt the poor by competing with them for jobs and overcrowding their schools. It's not fair to punish our own poor people by forcing them to bear the burden of the upper class that doesn't want to pay a decent wage for labor.

Have to agree with the immigration part

For the second part I do have a question thou. How much do you pay your employees?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2012, 10:43 AM

24,868 posts, read 24,377,473 times
What are we calling poverty exactly?

The opinion of the term from person to person seems to vary quite a bit, which makes it hard to find a solution that seems to move with opinion to opinion.

How do we lower the poverty rate in my opinion? Educate.

Old 01-12-2012, 10:46 AM

The real question is , should we. All healthy economies need people of all socialeconomic levels. If we raise all americans out of poverty we will be left with 2 choices.
1 , pay 2-3 times as much for every product and service
2, increase immigration to get the people needed for low wage , low level jobs.

Old 01-12-2012, 10:57 AM

799 posts, read 1,444,583 times
I think monetary inflation has done a lot of damage over the years to the U.S. Inflation slowly chips away at the value of our currency while wages stay the same. It's a tax that we all have to pay but it hurts the poor the most.

Old 01-12-2012, 11:27 AM

3,121 posts, read 3,094,163 times
Tell my boss to give me more hours and a raise. Every journey begins with a single step!

Old 01-12-2012, 11:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SyraBrian View Post
Tell my boss to give me more hours and a raise. Every journey begins with a single step!

Have you asked for one? Have you shown that you deserve one?
If you have done the second , then please do the first.

Old 01-12-2012, 11:37 AM

3,121 posts, read 3,094,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by waterboy7375 View Post
Have you asked for one? Have you shown that you deserve one?
If you have done the second , then please do the first.
Actually, I just got a raise, but it seems to be one of those deals where the boss gave me a raise and then cut my hours because he couldn't afford to use me as much.

I'm not worried. My current status is temporary until my sister gets her doggie daycare going and political canvassing season starts up.

Old 01-12-2012, 11:40 AM

That doggie daycare can be tough in this economy. I had a customer tell me last summer that if things dont improve soon , they may have to cut the dog walker back to 3 days a week or so. Or if they get real bad , they may actualy have to walk their dog themselves.

Old 01-12-2012, 04:53 PM

288 posts, read 283,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardA View Post
The poor have it good in the USA.
I know the poor has it better then the poor in a 3rd word country, but I still don't see poverty here as having it "good."

Old 01-12-2012, 04:56 PM

288 posts, read 283,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Workaholic? View Post
Not going to happen!

America has been pumping trillions into the war on poverty for years and years and the number of people in poverty and who lead a lower class lifestyle and have a lower class mindset has stayed the same. As long as that mindset and ignorance, laziness and human nature stays the same there will always be poor people.
There are people that are comfortable with living in poverty, but that's not everyone that's poor. What about the people who have lost their jobs and is having a hard time finding another what do you think about them?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies