Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-13-2012, 02:00 PM

1,615 posts, read 2,574,751 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifelongMOgal View Post
I think the OP assumes much that political discourse or disagreement in what comprises moral behavior automatically equates to hate or bigotry. Marriage rights? Where are those in the US Constitution?
i am wondering what moral behavior you refer to? i am a gay virgin. being gay isn't a behavior, it's a sexual orientation.

the only choice i have is the same one you have, to live the best with what i have, but you would seek to deny me something that i'm not trying to deny you.

if you're referring to sex, than why would you assume that any gay person is less moral than all straight people?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2012, 02:02 PM

1,615 posts, read 2,574,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifelongMOgal View Post
I think the OP assumes much that political discourse or disagreement in what comprises moral behavior automatically equates to hate or bigotry. Marriage rights? Where are those in the US Constitution?
those are in the fourteenth amendment, which says any government benefit given to one group must be given to everybody.

in other words, if i can't get married than neither can you, because it's a benefit and a law coming from the federal government.

Old 01-13-2012, 02:10 PM

25,231 posts, read 16,934,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rlarson21 View Post
those are in the fourteenth amendment, which says any government benefit given to one group must be given to everybody.

in other words, if i can't get married than neither can you, because it's a benefit and a law coming from the federal government.
Don't you know that if gays are allowed to get married to eachother then it would simply destroy hetrosexual marriages, well at least those that were built on the wrong foundations to begin with. The rest of us would be happy to see gays get married if they want to, it would strengthen what this Nation stands for, Justice for ALL American Citizens.

Old 01-13-2012, 02:13 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,832,973 times
Quote:
politics are an intense business.

even though i'm gay and in a sense hate bigots. i would still feel bad if one of them lost their job, was sick, or they were in pain or a family member were dying etc.

I guess what it boils down to is that even something as strong as bigotry, only means that i hate that ASPECT of their chosen behavior. i still wouldn't want to take away their marriage rights even though that's what they want from me.

I wouldn't want to see them harmed physically or emotionally, even though that's what many of them would want of me.

I think it's wrong that politics should make us hate each other so much. until we start seeing each other as humans first, politics in this country will remain very divisive.

what do you think?
i have long given up hating people. it does nothing to them, and tears me up inside. i may not like the politics of others, but i dont hold that against them either.

Old 01-13-2012, 02:14 PM

78,369 posts, read 60,566,039 times
Quote:

even though i'm gay and in a sense hate bigots. i would still feel bad if one of them lost their job, was sick, or they were in pain or a family member were dying etc.

I guess what it boils down to is that even something as strong as bigotry, only means that i hate that ASPECT of their chosen behavior. i still wouldn't want to take away their marriage rights even though that's what they want from me.

I wouldn't want to see them harmed physically or emotionally, even though that's what many of them would want of me.

I think it's wrong that politics should make us hate each other so much. until we start seeing each other as humans first, politics in this country will remain very divisive.

what do you think?
I wouldn't wish ill on anyone, I have friends ALL OVER the political and religious spectrum. They tend to be bright people whom can express thier views and tend to be more issues oriented. So, I may not always agree with them but I respect them and occasionally I actually learn something.

Old 01-13-2012, 02:16 PM

25,947 posts, read 24,739,641 times
Quote:

what do you think?
Compassion, well, that implies that the other person is suffering in one way or another. I don't want to see anyone suffering, simply because I am not a psychopath without empathy. In other words, if I feel sorry for someone I dislike, it is like a natural reaction, I don't decide whether or not to feel pity or compassion or whatever.

Old 01-13-2012, 04:23 PM

11,466 posts, read 19,348,947 times
Default do you have compassion for people you vehemently disagree with?

I'm not sure if I have compassion but I sure don't hate or even dislike anyone who holds a different opinion than mine. As for here on CD Land I don't even know who anyone is in real life, we could all be 12 year old kids, no I sure don't dislike anyone on here either, y'all make my slow days go by faster and this is some of the best entertainment I can find on the net.
There are some I feel sorry for them because they take this place too seriously and it makes me wonder if this place is their life, I certainly hope not.

Old 01-13-2012, 04:24 PM

4,042 posts, read 3,528,510 times
What an excellent question!

Yes, I honestly and truly do. I am a "people person" and pray for my enemies and of course for folks that I simply disagree with.
I observe some of the same experiences in others that I have suffered and you bet compassion is the order of the moment.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies