Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-11-2012, 11:33 PM

1,615 posts, read 2,574,559 times

Advertisements

politics are an intense business.

even though i'm gay and in a sense hate bigots. i would still feel bad if one of them lost their job, was sick, or they were in pain or a family member were dying etc.

I guess what it boils down to is that even something as strong as bigotry, only means that i hate that ASPECT of their chosen behavior. i still wouldn't want to take away their marriage rights even though that's what they want from me.

I wouldn't want to see them harmed physically or emotionally, even though that's what many of them would want of me.

I think it's wrong that politics should make us hate each other so much. until we start seeing each other as humans first, politics in this country will remain very divisive.

what do you think?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2012, 11:40 PM

15,080 posts, read 20,468,357 times
Of course. Individuals are entitled to their opinions and if I disagree with someone it doesn't mean I can't or won't sympathize with him/her due when life does something to them that life has a way of doing.

[we are all still human]

Old 01-11-2012, 11:41 PM

3,117 posts, read 4,584,910 times
It depends on what I disagree with the other person about. I can have compassion for someone who merely has differing political views (as long as they're well thought-out, well presented, and not based on obvious delusions....in other words, the fringes of either the right or left, who are totalitarians when you get right down to it). I can have compassion for someone who has a completely different opinion on how to raise a child.

What I can't have compassion for are people who I vehemently disagree with when it involves matters by which they are trying to get something from me in order to personally benefit themselves. I don't have compassion for people who use excuses as to why things didn't work out the way they wanted them to. I don't have compassion for people who tell me that I should leave them to do their own thing (something I do, anyways), but that I shouldn't be able to do my own thing. I don't have compassion for people who blame others for their own failings. I don't have compassion for people who don't think personal responsibility and personal accountability are 4 letter words.

THOSE types of people I vehemently disagree with, and I have no compassion for, because they have no respect for themselves.

Old 01-11-2012, 11:42 PM

14,975 posts, read 16,455,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MIKEETC View Post
Of course. Individuals are entitled to their opinions and if I disagree with someone it doesn't mean I can't or won't sympathize with him/her due when life does something to them that life has a way of doing.

[we are all still human]
This.

Old 01-12-2012, 07:41 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,454,776 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MIKEETC View Post

[we are all still human]
Can't add any more to what MIKEETC posted.

Old 01-12-2012, 07:49 AM

23,838 posts, read 23,117,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rlarson21 View Post

even though i'm gay and in a sense hate bigots. i would still feel bad if one of them lost their job, was sick, or they were in pain or a family member were dying etc.

I guess what it boils down to is that even something as strong as bigotry, only means that i hate that ASPECT of their chosen behavior. i still wouldn't want to take away their marriage rights even though that's what they want from me.

I wouldn't want to see them harmed physically or emotionally, even though that's what many of them would want of me.

I think it's wrong that politics should make us hate each other so much. until we start seeing each other as humans first, politics in this country will remain very divisive.

what do you think?
I rally hard against several things on this forum, including abortion, the Gay Agenda, Liberal fiscal policies, and Liberal social policies. But at the end of the day, I don't go out and target or attack abortion clinics, homosexuals, or Liberals in general.

In fact, I can and do sympathize with people alot more than most people would think. I really don't like the idea of anyone being downtrodden, discriminated against, violated, or otherwise shat upon. I just disagree with Democrats' theory that Big Government is the only way to solve those problems.

But I think it's healthy for all sides to hear opposing viewpoints, which is where this forum comes in handy. I will never vote for a Democrat as long as the policies they espouse are detrimental to this nation. But that doesn't mean i'm bent on publicly shaming them. I don't use the Ignore List on this forum because I want to hear what you have to say, even when I don't agree with it.

Old 01-12-2012, 07:57 AM

7,085 posts, read 12,052,033 times
No one agrees on everything. People who have well thought out their positions and are able to talk about them I have not only compassion for, I have outright respect for. Friends and I disagree, sometimes quite enthusiastically, and at the end of the day we all have a sense of humor about it and usually laugh over a pint.

I don't have compassion or any respect for those whose views are driven by hatred, willful stupidity, selfishness, and delusion. They know what is wrong with their position but want to push it anyways because they rather change the world then change their disgusting behavior.

Views based on lunacy are a mixed bag. People who have a problem should get help, and often it's hard to see yourself as the problem. People who know they have a problem and don't want to get help, and rage against anyone who even tries, fall into the extreme delusional area for me.

Old 01-12-2012, 07:59 AM

6,369 posts, read 6,406,815 times
Quote:

what do you think?
You are on to something. Back in the day, Tip O'Neill was the leader of the opposition party against Ronald Reagan. Each typified the diametrically opposed views of their respective parties. But there was mutual respect and a friendship, and recognition by each that the other had a job to do.

Can you picture either Barack Obama or John Boehner saying "I understand that [the other guy] is motivated by the best of intentions, but he is mistaken in his sincere belief that his policy will improve our situation. Here is why I say that:...." Used to happen all the time.

Old 01-12-2012, 08:04 AM

769 posts, read 1,006,825 times
Quote:

what do you think?

I essentially agree with you. There might be something that I disagree with people on (be it politics, or whatever) but I still don't hate that person. I might hate some of their particular views, but not the person as a whole. I try to see beyond that. I think that it is healthy for people to be able to disagree with one another regarding certain issues, but still have just the basic respect to agree to disagree and be cordial about it and not just go on and despise that person as a whole. Some people get far too caught up in hating people just because they disagree with them. It's very childish and immature imho.

Old 01-12-2012, 10:19 AM

25,231 posts, read 16,932,412 times
Quote:

what do you think?
It depends, with some yes I would feel compassion, with others I have to admit I would not feel anything other than they are getting what they deserve. Yes, I know that is not what my faith expects of me but I am human with the usual human failings, just like all the rest of humanity.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies