Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2012, 08:16 AM

27 posts, read 45,140 times

Advertisements

The primary reasons of brining some jobs back to the U.S. is that labor costs here are decreasing while labor costs in countries we've previousy outsourced jobs to (India, Mexico, etc.), are increasing.

23,838 posts, read 23,119,311 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cletus Awreetus-Awrightus View Post
this doesn't make sense to me. what does this have to do with the white house?
My thoughts exactly. The White House has the authority to blow hot air. That's about it when it comes to economic incentives.

86,052 posts, read 84,464,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Swingblade View Post
I heard the incentives was cutting the corporate tax to 0% and cutting the budget for the amount of revenue the gvt would have collected. Oh wait, that was a dream
Really ? The CEOs have been to Congress asking for a tax holiday for themselves. I guess they won.

Tax Holiday May Weaken U.S. Exports: Report
Repatriation Tax Holiday Push Shows Congress Turning Deaf Ear To Occupy Wall Street
http://www.nytimes.com/2011/06/20/bu...x.html?_r=3&hp

Old 01-12-2012, 08:17 AM

12,169 posts, read 17,644,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayland Woman View Post
It's about time the CEO's of American companies remember they are American citizens who owe this country something in our time of need. Too bad it takes an incentive program to get them to bring much needed jobs back to American workers.
What exactly do CEO's owe this country?

Old 01-12-2012, 08:18 AM

69,368 posts, read 64,096,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroGuyDC View Post
My thoughts exactly. The White House has the authority to blow hot air. That's about it when it comes to economic incentives.
Not really true. The states and townships are selling bonds to finance the development projects for these corporations, but the federal government is insuring the bonds and collecting a fee for doing so.

TIF has been around for decades, but it wasnt until recently federal government guaranteed the underlying debt.

Old 01-12-2012, 08:19 AM

31,767 posts, read 28,813,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
But here's the wrinkle...the salaries are lower.
:
Yes, a job is a job and that's good. But I can't help think that this is also bad because of the lowered starting salaries.
Amazing. Now people are whining about incentives to bring jobs back because salaries are lower... in other words, jobs are better outsourced, it is bad to bring them here because of salaries.

Next, you'd be demanding that government do something about salaries.

Old 01-12-2012, 08:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
I'm sorry you live in lala land and cant face the truth.

Its called TIF.. Look it up and stop embarassing yourself with your denial.

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/02/27/us/27cnctif.html?_r=1
So, what power does the White House have to force states and municipalities to engage in TIF? The White House alone can't actually engage in TIF without Congress. Like Cleetus, i'm not sure how the White House has anything to do with this beyond hardcore cheerleading.

Old 01-12-2012, 08:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
Not really true. The states and townships are selling bonds to finance the development projects for these corporations, but the federal government is insuring the bonds and collecting a fee for doing so.

TIF has been around for decades, but it wasnt until recently federal government guaranteed the underlying debt.
TIF has been around for decades, yes, but under what authority does the White House have to direct that particular activity? Has that authority already been codified?

Old 01-12-2012, 08:27 AM

Quote:
So, what power does the White House have to force states and municipalities to engage in TIF? The White House alone can't actually engage in TIF without Congress. Like Cleetus, i'm not sure how the White House has anything to do with this beyond hardcore cheerleading.
You know I'm far from being a White House cheerleader, but its an undeniable fact that the federal government has began to insure the debt for townships and states used to build these projects.

Company like GM wants to build a new plant in town x..
town x goes to the state for money
the state goes to investors to sell bonds, investors demand a guarantee
federal government steps in and guarantees the bonds

company gets their new plant
township gets jobs
state gets debt, and assurance the debt will be paid for
federal government gets to increase their obligations, while actually hiding the actual debt increase because its not on the federal level.

Old 01-12-2012, 08:29 AM

Quote:
TIF has been around for decades, yes, but under what authority does the White House have to direct that particular activity? Has that authority already been codified?
Part of its in the 2009 stimulus bill but much of its ran through individual federal departments, like department of economic development.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies