Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2012, 10:05 AM

31,767 posts, read 28,902,392 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Did you read that NYT article on the auto mfg return to the US and lower salaries ? I don't think it was Republicans complaining in that article.
And that is why you feel it is a bad idea to promote incentives for job growth in the USA.

Old 01-12-2012, 10:20 AM

69,368 posts, read 64,273,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 60sfemi View Post
A perfect example of right wing obstruction.
Where? The government doesnt create jobs.

Old 01-12-2012, 10:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
Where? The government doesnt create jobs.
Mostly correct. Considering that it was only government payroll which was in the positive after eight years with Bush in the White House, and included in the "unemployment rate" you relentlessly and solely rely on in opportune times. To put this claim of mine in perspective, numbers between Jan 2001 and Jan 2009:
Private Payroll: -653K
Government Payroll: +1.75 million

That would be a growth of 1.1 million jobs in eight years (96 months), and entirely due to larger number of government employees. So, government did create jobs in that era, the private sector however reduced jobs.

But government can create an environment to create jobs, however. Can we at least agree on that premise?

Old 01-12-2012, 10:25 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,702,382 times
So sometimes corporate welfare is good and sometimes corporate welfare is bad ?
How hypocritical.

If corporate welfare gets you a job then it's ok otherwise it's not ?

"government incentives" is nothing more than corporate welfare.
Your tax dollars will have to pick up the slack for those corporates that don't have to pay them because nothing is being cut to cover that loss of corporate revenue.

Old 01-12-2012, 10:35 AM

Quote:
So sometimes corporate welfare is good and sometimes corporate welfare is bad ? How hypocritical.

If corporate welfare gets you a job then it's ok otherwise it's not ?

"government incentives" is nothing more than corporate welfare.
Your tax dollars will have to pick up the slack for those corporates that don't have to pay them because nothing is being cut to cover that loss of corporate revenue.
That is the typical right wingers' view. They only think in absolutes. This also applies to their idea of Keynesian economics, as it does virtually everywhere else. To highlight what the typical right winger misses, I will use a right wing idea.

Not too long ago, the right wing cheerleaders were dancing about and singing praise of the governor in Florida for mandating drug test for unemployment benefits. Well, why do that, if ultimately it is about "welfare"? The least a right winger should be able to claim out of that would be... they only deserve it, if they want to be held accountable. Apply that to corporations, and their panties get twisted in a knot.

So while one might see this as a corporate welfare, to force them into benefiting working Americans as a condition for the incentives. This is about accountability. Tax breaks, for those reasons, should not be a guarantee. If tax breaks is a welfare program, then extending the same as incentives on the premise of accountability is also a welfare program... the difference between right wing and left wing here being... emphasis on accountability.

Old 01-12-2012, 10:39 AM

20,700 posts, read 12,583,694 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moth View Post
If someone has a family and yet the best they are qualified for is working for minimum wage at McDonalds, then something is very, very wrong.
We were hit hard with foreclosures and all of construction went and with that many jobs. Many people working at McDonalds are over qualified as most haven't worked there since they were teens but something is better than nothing. I didn't say that is all they are qualified for but that is the only job they could find.

My friend has a accounting degree and she couldn't find a job for a little over a year and the job got is working in the grocery store.

Old 01-12-2012, 10:46 AM

76,971 posts, read 47,814,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wjtwet View Post
Do some people call these tax breaks and incentives corporate welfare?
You do not like the idea of bringing jobs back to US? You do not like tax breaks? What is your complaint?

Old 01-12-2012, 10:47 AM

8,732 posts, read 6,799,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
This is something both parties surely agree upon, The WH will provide incentives for companies to bring the jobs back on US soil.

US companies begin insourcing jobs from China, Japan & Mexico; India could be next - The Economic Times

WASHINGTON: American companies are now moving jobs back from countries like China, Japan and Mexico and India could be next as the White House will soon announce incentives for bringing employment to the country.

According to the information released by the White House, several top American companies have already started moving their jobs from overseas and the process is likely to gain momentum in the coming months once the new policy is announced.

For instance, auto major Fords, instead of adding production for the Fusion model in Mexico, plans to bring that additional work to its Flat Rock plant in Michigan. Ford incidentally has a considerably big presence in India.
It's a start. See if your company makes the list of companies that outsource.

http://edition.cnn.com/CNN/Programs/...a/content.html

I don't like the fact that so much of my personal information is available to people in India, in addition to medical information. Can they get that back please???

Old 01-12-2012, 10:48 AM

76,971 posts, read 47,814,580 times
Quote:
There's been no bill for the summer job program and that involves government paid positions. That's a done deal and Congress was not involved.
You can discuss that topic on the thread dedicated to that topic.

Quote:
I don't think the government needs to pay companies to come back.
They do not plan to PAY them anything.

If you oppose the idea of bringing jobs back to US, just say so.

If you oppose tax cuts/breaks, just say so.

Old 01-12-2012, 10:53 AM

13,686 posts, read 20,848,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna-501 View Post
We were hit hard with foreclosures and all of construction went and with that many jobs. Many people working at McDonalds are over qualified as most haven't worked there since they were teens but something is better than nothing. I didn't say that is all they are qualified for but that is the only job they could find.

My friend has a accounting degree and she couldn't find a job for a little over a year and the job got is working in the grocery store.
I see. That is something different then. Fair enough.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.