Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-12-2012, 06:05 PM

2,226 posts, read 2,102,895 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostrider275452 View Post
Shae may not be angry, but she is as classless as a first lady as I have ever seen.

Obviously you haven't a clue what class is or what it may look like! But then we have had some wonderful, lovely First Ladies. Michelle is simply the current one. I will imagine we would have many more

Old 01-12-2012, 06:14 PM

6,757 posts, read 8,283,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by calipoppy View Post
And this statement simply proves that you are the complete antithesis of a classy, gracious, well-bred, well-mannered Southern belle.
Bless her pea-pickin' little heart.

Old 01-12-2012, 06:19 PM

1,187 posts, read 995,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieB.Good View Post
Complete B.S. Do you actually interact w/ the real world? I'm asking b/c if you're comparing Michelle Obama to the ABW personalities that do exist, then you're showing your ignorance on both.

Who's next? Oprah?

Instead of trying to draw false comparisons between MO & some random personalities in life, why don't you compare her to another behind-the-scenes political wife and explain how she's different than... Hillary Clinton?
I would say a more fair comparison would be to Nancy Reagan. She also received negative attacks against her personality based on next to nothing and was called the "dragon lady". But she was just strong and caring and looking after her husband.

Old 01-12-2012, 06:28 PM

12,372 posts, read 9,311,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostrider275452 View Post
Shae may not be angry, but she is as classless as a first lady as I have ever seen.
She's not even close to the most classless First Lady to ever live in the White House unless you think it's perfectly normal for First Ladies to hold seances in the White House, let her children ride bikes in the halls of the White House or let children bring ponies into the White House or consult astrologists to help plan the president's schedule. All these things were done by different First Ladies.

Old 01-12-2012, 06:45 PM

674 posts, read 698,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadking2003 View Post
Do you ever get out of your house? To imply that there are no angry black women is ludicrous.
There are plenty of angry black women and, at times, I am one of them...most recently when a visiting white contractor asked me if I could supply more toilet paper for the men's bathroom because it was running low. He assumed I was part of the janitorial staff when I am actually a manager.

However anyone who thinks that Michelle Obama is an angry black woman clearly doesn't know the real litmus test for being classified as such. There are plenty of women that illustrate a model for this (i.e. Nene Leakes, Omarosa Manigualt, old school Mary J. Blige). I think the major issue with white people's view of blacks is that white people prefer rationality with complete divorce from emotion. Quite frankly European culture and its derivatives do not value displays of emotion or spirit in people. So when a black person is perhaps just displaying emotion that would be construed by other blacks as normal a white person will interpret it as over the top, angry, and/or flamboyant.

On the flip-side a lot of black people view whites as dull, lifeless, boring, and stuffy. I don't know Michelle Obama but she has never come across as angry to me. So I acknowledge that people view others through their own cultural lenses and move on, just as Michelle does every day.

Old 01-12-2012, 07:21 PM

31,290 posts, read 20,737,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DahomeyAhosi View Post
There are plenty of angry black women and, at times, I am one of them...most recently when a visiting white contractor asked me if I could supply more toilet paper for the men's bathroom because it was running low. He assumed I was part of the janitorial staff when I am actually a manager.

Not sure I understand why that would make you angry. I'm quite sure you are not the only person to be mis-identified, regardless of skin color.

Old 01-12-2012, 07:23 PM

9,189 posts, read 7,599,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 60sfemi View Post
Michele Obama is an EXTREMELY intelligent, well read, well bred, polite, soft spoken caring woman, mother, wife, daughter. She behaves with class and integrity, she loves her God, her country, her family. She is another example of the American Dream and has NEVER during her tenure as first lady done ANYTHING that would show herself as an angry black woman. Right wing rag radio/tv/media and sound bite kings feed this kind of crappola to easily swayed bigoted repugs and they vomit it out amongst themselves. But it doesn't make it true.
ditto

Old 01-12-2012, 07:26 PM

4,209 posts, read 3,589,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wyndsong71 View Post
I would say a more fair comparison would be to Nancy Reagan. She also received negative attacks against her personality based on next to nothing and was called the "dragon lady". But she was just strong and caring and looking after her husband.
Please do not disparage Nancy Reagan by comparing nasty Michelle Obama to her.

Old 01-12-2012, 07:26 PM

674 posts, read 698,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadking2003 View Post
Not sure I understand why that would make you angry. I'm quite sure you are not the only person to be mis-identified, regardless of skin color.
Sweetheart I wouldn't expect you to understand.

Old 01-12-2012, 08:45 PM

12,980 posts, read 14,562,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DahomeyAhosi View Post

However anyone who thinks that Michelle Obama is an angry black woman clearly doesn't know the real litmus test for being classified as such. There are plenty of women that illustrate a model for this (i.e. Nene Leakes, Omarosa Manigualt, old school Mary J. Blige). I think the major issue with white people's view of blacks is that white people prefer rationality with complete divorce from emotion. Quite frankly European culture and its derivatives do not value displays of emotion or spirit in people. So when a black person is perhaps just displaying emotion that would be construed by other blacks as normal a white person will interpret it as over the top, angry, and/or flamboyant.

On the flip-side a lot of black people view whites as dull, lifeless, boring, and stuffy. I don't know Michelle Obama but she has never come across as angry to me. So I acknowledge that people view others through their own cultural lenses and move on, just as Michelle does every day.
Well, there are white people, and then there are white people who start threads like this, and they are not the same animal.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies