Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2012, 02:36 PM

31,767 posts, read 28,806,382 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroGuyDC View Post
The same could be said for Main Street, yes? They too battled behemoth's entering the market. Is it your modus operandi to chastise them as well?
Main Street... forgot about them. I like that store and seems to be doing well in the couple of neighborhoods. Actually, just bought a cake from Main Street in Plano, last week. And this one is right across from a (usually packed to the gills) Whole Foods.

Only losers make excuses and fold. I wouldn't count Main Street among them. Battles are meant to be won, even if you lose.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2012, 02:37 PM

41,325 posts, read 44,929,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Enough View Post
"Hostess files for Chapter 11 It's the second bankruptcy filing for the maker of HoHos, DingDongs and Twinkies. The company cites union contracts and pensions."

Hostess files for Chapter 11 bankruptcy - latimes.com
Yeah, you beat me to it. Unions are killing jobs, that is just a fact.

Old 01-12-2012, 02:48 PM

14,492 posts, read 26,585,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
And when your recession is going into the 5th year the growing debt overwhelms more and more of these businesses.

I'm watching and waiting for the national brands to start cutting back on their offerings.
I mean 20 different flavors of Philadelphia Cream Cheese..really ?
Store brands are now taking up the middle shelf instead of being placed on the bottom shelf near the floor..that says a lot.

But most people don't pay attention to the little everyday changes.
They react when they see headlines like this.
Krogers already cut all their coffee brands down. No one is paying 14.99 for the Starbucks or Dunkin Donuts brand names.

In the news yesterday there were recommendations to buy stock in The Dollar Store...there are poor people who actually food shop there. Food Lion is disgusting so its just as well they closed. There is one poorly managed store in Carter County.

Sadly, Barnes & Noble is slated to be next .

Old 01-12-2012, 02:49 PM

504 posts, read 1,270,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mircea View Post
Your labor market and economy have been steadily declining for some time, and it has nothing to do with Bush or Obama (or Clinton for that matter). The truth of the matter is that the US (through its very bad foreign policy) created an playing field so tilted to its advantage, that no one else could compete. That gave you wages and salaries that were grotesquely over-inflated and the Extravagant American Life-Styleâ„¢.
That's right.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mircea View Post
And don't be surprised if Meijers or Kroger's starts buying Rite-Aid, CVS and Walgreens, because those will be history in a few years too. Note that Kroger's has adatped the Wal*Mart model. Is that an admission of failure? No, that is recognizing changing market needs and responding by adopting and modifying a successful model.
I wonder whether the 1998 merger with Fred Meyer had a role in Kroger's shift toward the hypermarket model. Freddy's was one of the first to develop that concept.

Old 01-12-2012, 02:52 PM

4,042 posts, read 3,527,793 times
No, it is not really getting better. We had the typical, December surge of added jobs. We have folks that are not even counted in the system because they've stopped, be it temporarily or not, looking for a job.

We have no-telling how many stats that are and/or will be faked to get "their" man elected again. The stakes are astronomically high and so will be the shenanigans.

If "they" can fake it and give us a temporary illusion of an improving economy they of course are going to do so.

Old 01-12-2012, 02:57 PM

23,838 posts, read 23,113,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamofmonterey View Post
Krogers already cut all their coffee brands down. No one is paying 14.99 for the Starbucks or Dunkin Donuts brand names.

In the news yesterday there were recommendations to buy stock in The Dollar Store...there are poor people who actually food shop there. Food Lion is disgusting so its just as well they closed. There is one poorly managed store in Carter County.

I'm considering moving into the Dollar Store market as we speak. There are many compelling reasons, the recession being just one of those reasons.

Why do you say B&N is next? I read that they were chastised for considering spinning off their E-book business, but I haven't seen anything that signals going under. What's the word?

Old 01-12-2012, 03:27 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,442,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamofmonterey View Post

Heck I even go shopping in the dollar store every now and then because it's near the supermarket but not for food although they sell food there.

The dollar store is quite sufficient when you aren't looking for quality (like storage buckets/pails for various crap around the house).
And they've expanded a lot over the past few years. Some of the bigger ones remind me of the old Woolworth's or John's Bargain Stores (a NYC store in the late 70's).

Old 01-12-2012, 04:02 PM

14,492 posts, read 26,585,697 times
B and N was in the news this morning, along with Best Buy and GameStation.

barnes and noble is a nice store but I guess they arent competitive enough. the one in tri cities (NE tenn) is usually empty, plus they have a coffee bistro thing that no one uses.

alot of big chains tried that before going under. In S. Florida Albertsons used to have a super-nice (but expensive) coffee bar as you walked in to go food shopping. It appears the "up-market" of marketing no longer exists.

Kroger will be putting Rite-Aid out of business IMO. Its just easier to get ur Rx while food shopping, the smaller drug stores are going to take a big hit, imo.

Old 01-12-2012, 10:53 PM

37,794 posts, read 40,990,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MIKEETC View Post
I don't know about the others.

However, as a former employee and based on my experience, I will say that Blockbuster was not a good company to work for. As a former customer and based on my experience, I will say that Blockbuster was not a good company to patronize.

[so...good]
Blockbusters, though, seemed to hire younger people as do the supermarkets. I'm assuming a lot of them are after-schoolers/weekenders/part-timers. They also probably don't hire a lot of people with college degrees as full timers.

Look at who makes up the highest unemployment rates. When these stores go down, the groups already suffering the most are suffering more. That would be your 16 - 19 year olds and your people with no high school diploma and people with just a high school diploma.

Old 01-13-2012, 04:46 AM

8,276 posts, read 12,854,528 times
People want to think one company failing means there is no reaction in the market.

Blockbuster fails - other companies fill their void. ... Don't you remember all the mom and pop video stores put out of business when Blockbuster came around?

I watched Safeway, Kroger, Piggly Wiggly, Winn Dixie and others fold, but others opened their doors to revamp the opportunity.

This is a normal business cycle. what will be said when Walmart fails? will the thousands of mom and pops they put out of business be remembered? Do you recall Rubbermaid?... Walmart put them out of business too. Diminishing returns are a factor of business. No one is immune.

Once Sears was the biggest now they are barely alive

Once Western Auto was the biggest - now they are a memory

Do you remember TWA? Braniff? Western Electric?

Here is the simple economics lesson.

Market has a demand.....people buy and company grows. Others see the money made and enter the market selling the same thing and water down the earnings of the first.
market demands change and the stores evolve or vanish.

There will be many more to fail

Here are my guesses

Best Buy
Pottery barn
Yum Brands
KFC
Long John Silvers
Penney's
Chrysler
Bank of America
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies