Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2012, 07:55 PM

3,201 posts, read 3,855,143 times

Advertisements

We are in a prolonged slow Great Depression.

It is like a Great Depression on morphine.

How this turns out will be interesting. Europe is still going to collapse.

Quote:
Originally Posted by knowledgeiskey View Post
Do they not understand how our currency works? If there's no national deficit, the federal reserve won't have any reserves to buy in order to do a QE. Do you want our country to slide into another Great Depression?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2012, 08:36 PM

20,699 posts, read 19,338,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frozenyo View Post
"Deficits don't matter" - Dick Cheney (R)
"Context matters" - Me.(anti-repulicrat)

Old 01-12-2012, 08:40 PM

504 posts, read 1,269,915 times
When did this air on CNBC?

(My question is unrelated to this topic, just curious.)

Old 01-12-2012, 08:41 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,359,501 times
this sounds like when my ex used to come home after charging 12k at the mall and tell me how much she saved me.

Old 01-12-2012, 09:19 PM

6,940 posts, read 9,672,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rock_chalk View Post
when did this air on cnbc?

(my question is unrelated to this topic, just curious.)

Old 01-12-2012, 10:01 PM

1,230 posts, read 1,038,732 times

Money As Debt II: promises unleashed (FULL MOVIE) - YouTube

The above movie explains why we MUST have a totally different financial system. The current one, due to it's inherent structure, cannot be tweaked or fixed to work "better."

Paul Grignon, the creator of this informative and entertaining film, also introduces a very interesting concept he calls the "digital coin".

Digital Coin, a comprehensive & innovative proposal for a new system of sustainable economics by Paul Grignon, creator of the movie "Money as Debt"

I sincerely hope people will take just a bit over an hour to watch the above video. I did not understand our financial system until I watched the original "Money as Debt" as well as "Money Masters". Fascinating!

We will see no change (far worse than seeing no change, we will see disaster) until there is a critical mass of informed citizens who understand what we are faced with.

A financial system is an artificial creation for the convenience of exchanging goods and services world wide. It is not a phenomenon of nature and it is not written in stone. There is absolutely no reason for it to be the unsustainable fraud that it is, though taking down the system would not be easy, it will eventually collapse and should not be bailed out or propped up in any way. A new system should be ready and people with many good ideas continue to work on this vision.

The monetary system can be different- it can be sustainable. Created from a new paradigm it can belong to the public, but first, we must become an informed public so we will understand clearly, en mass, the urgency and necessity to address this problem.

Old 01-13-2012, 08:58 AM

20,699 posts, read 19,338,023 times
Money is inherently a ponzi scheme. Most people are so inured to money they fail to see what it is. You find few people talking about "sound money" before inflation. It may be the odd true believer before inflation. After inflation, these numbers swell because by moving to "sound money", they will drive up the value of money and the debtor contracts they hold. See the wealth suction machine working. Once that's played out and the wool grows back, then these predatory swing voters will get everyone to see the virtues of loosening up credit because its a new paradigm like the Internet where values always rise. First by inflation, then by deflation.

In fact the current monetary, capitalist model we use has a life cycle which even back to the Babylonians figured to be about 50 -60 years. Bandits would lie in wait for the merchant train. Nothing has changed because most investments has to do with guessing the resource a producer its going to want. When they were building rail roads, speculators bought up land which is nothing but an ambush on future productivity. When they made water projects, insiders scooped up the land where the water was glowing, no doubt to sell it to the suckers who will work it. Those who produce and know where the resources should go are always under capitalized and often bankrupted.

Thus wealth always rotates away from production and the tools are money and monopoly, especially real estate. It moves away from old computers and rotary phones(real prosperity creation) and into land and monopolies. People think we are past the days of believing in mythologies. I beg to differ.

As to the OP, the idea is to make people think we need to balance the budget. That allows the FIRE sale to continue with cheap asset prices.

Old 01-15-2012, 10:37 AM

14,361 posts, read 9,780,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwynedd1 View Post
Money is inherently a ponzi scheme.
Only when it's abused by the men who control it. If a person with a conscience uses it as a promissory note and actually fulfills his promise, it ISN'T a ponzi scheme. It doesn't matter if it's salt, silver, gold - barter for goods and labor is a trade and these things only represent a universal level of common value. This isn't a ponzi scheme.

Here is a great rebuttal toward Paul Krugman. He is a Princeton Prof. and a Nobel PP winning economist, and he's so smart that common sense has been completely wiped from his menu.

Krugman: Debt matters, but not that much - Houston Chronicle

The rebuttal makes perfect sense to me:
Paul Krugman is Dead Wrong: Debt Matters - Money Morning

Krugman is just more proof that the NPP doesn't mean a thing anymore.

Old 04-29-2014, 04:32 AM

16,503 posts, read 8,568,384 times
If you dramatically increase deficit spending, then start to reduce it, can you honestly claim to be a deficit hawk because it is coming down?

Old 04-29-2014, 05:59 AM

2,212 posts, read 2,838,941 times
The Federal Reserve can buy anything with newly created money for the purposes of expanding the monetary base. It does not have to be debt that they buy. It could be gold, oil, real estate, foreign currencies - anything at all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies