Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-14-2012, 03:08 PM

29,409 posts, read 21,920,471 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thatsright19 View Post
Votes in the IMF take a 85% majority.

The United States vote counts for 17%. Basically, it's a veto power.

"So, we would like to replace the Dollar as the reserve currency with the SDR. Members, what say you?"

United States: NO.

"Well, then. It's settled."
Who is to say we would vote no? Obama is already a fan of the SDR. He supports adding the yuan. Remember he isn't into the US and their monetary policy as it's just not fair to everybody else.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2012, 03:14 PM

24,624 posts, read 19,049,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chowhound View Post
I think cooler heads need to prevail.
Good luck with that.

Cooling...

Mircea

Quote:
Originally Posted by spiellgood View Post
Turn off the ron paul/moveon.org talking points garbage.
I'm not into Doctor Ron Paul (snicker).

Quote:
Iran is making no effort to hide its nuclear efforts, except what it is hiding inside huge mountains.
Iran has a nuclear energy program, but no nuclear weapons program.

Your government, specifically Leon Panetta, recently admitted that.

Building facilities in mountains makes sense, since Iran is earthquake prone, and since lunatics in USrael and the US are hell-bent on ensuring that Iran does not succeed economically.

Iran using their dual-reactors at Bushwehr to power desalinization plants to irrigate the Iranian Plateau to establish agriculture to help reduce Iran's 20+% perpetual unemployment and shift Iran from a net-importer of food to a net exporter of food to the world is a terrible thing for the US and the world right?

Quote:
It is the UN that has called iran out for developing nuclear weapons - not the US.
The UN and IAEA at the behest and under the coercive pressure of the US.

The latest IAEA report is nothing more than a rehash of other earlier IAEA reports that said nothing.

However, there is one thing of interest in the IAEA report.

Let's look at some basic facts.

The US had a nuclear weapon using 4.5 kg of weapons grade Plutonium with a yield of 1 kt. It also had a weapon that had 12 kg of HEU at 90% with a yield of 0.01 kt.

Figure it out yet?

Assuming Iran really does want nuclear weapons, it is in their best interest for any number of reasons, including time, cost and kilo-tonnage to produce Plutonium.

How do you do that? Enrich Uranium ore to 3%-5% U235 then load it into a reactor.

What does the IAEA report say?

It says Iran is enriching uranium to 20%.

Accordingly, the IAEA, by its own admission, has provided clear and convincing evidence that Iran is not seeking Plutonium for use in nuclear weapons.

I'll wait (patiently) for you to respond to that and refute the IAEA's claims, assuming you can or will.

And of course, if you cannot or will not, that looks very bad for you.

Quote:
It is the UN who has issued FOUR UNSC resolutions requiring iran cease enriching uranium.
On what basis and under what [legitimate] authority?

Okay, let's assume Iran is enriching uranium. As the IAEA has proven, Iran is not seeking Plutonium.

What kind of nuclear weapons could Iran make with Uranium?

A 400 kt warhead? Impossible. That can only be achieved through fission-fusion, and the only fission trigger permissible is Plutonium, and the IAEA has proven that Iran is not seeking Plutonium.

So, using only Uranium, the only weapon Iran could produce is a fission weapon with a maximum yield of 60 kt.

Never mind the fact that no country has ever produced a 60 kt uranium based fission weapon, because it is not feasible.

Best case scenario would be a 40 kt warhead. Does Iran have any aircraft capable of delivering a warhead that large? No. You need a bomber, and I do mean bomber, not fighter-bomber or fighter plane that has strike capabilities.

Iran is going to put that on a missile? You might want to enroll in a few university level physics courses so you don't continue to look so foolish.

Quote:
It is iran who is sponsoring terrorism across the mideast and helping to slaughter its own and syrians pressing for democracy.
And the US has never sponsored terrorism?

Uh, who was it that murdered King Faisal in cold blood? That was the US, and I guess that wasn't terrorism, because "it isn't Fascism or Terrorism when the US does it."

Oh, and who murdered General Qasim in cold blood after he replaced King Faisal? Oh, that would also be the US, but then, "it isn't Fascism or Terrorism when the US does it."

And who was it who murdered President Schemarke in cold blood because he wouldn't sign off on an oil deal with Texaco, Standard Oil, Conoco and Phillips? That was the US as well, but "it isn't Fascism or Terrorism when the US does it."

I find it ironic, if not hypocritical that when you needed to buy weapons from Iran to give to al-Qaida to smuggle into Bosnia and Kosovo-Metohija so that Bosniacs and Kosovars could slaughter their own and blame it on the Serbs, Iran was your friend, and of course, the US doesn't sponsor terrorists like Bosniacs or Kosovars, right? Oh, yes, "it isn't Fascism or Terrorism when the US does it."

And Iran was good enough for you to buy weapons to ship to Pakistan to train them, um, "freedom fighters" (snicker), but that isn't State-sponsored terrorism, because "it isn't Fascism or Terrorism when the US does it."

And Iran was good enough for you to buy weapons to arm the Contras to engage in terrorism and over throw the Nicaraguan government, because, god help us all if Chiquita or National Sugar have to pay even one penny in taxes --- the whole freaking world would collapse, burned down, fall over and sink into a swamp, but, you know,"it isn't Fascism or Terrorism when the US does it."

Quote:
It is iran who is imperialistic, seeking to foment wars across the region and beyond.
Imperial Iran?

It is the US who is imperialistic. It is the US who is in a panic because Iran is attempting to establish the Kish Island Exchange and sell oil in basket currencies.

Quote:
For those with a brain...
Those with a brain realize that each and every single time Iran has announced an oil bourse, the US screams "Nukes!" and USrael threatens to attack.

Quote:
.. the world relies on global trade...
Indeed, but global trade does not need to take place exclusively using US Dollars as the international currency of trade.

Only an imperialist would suggest that only US Dollars could be used for trade.

Quote:
Too many idiot paul-acolytes are far too young to remember what it was like to grow up with a nation pointing thousands of nuclear weapons at you.
I remember, because I was there. That was my job. I played with nuclear weapons for 3 1/2 years. Played with nuclear weapons in the US, UK, Belgium, Netherlands, Germany, Italy, Greece and Turkey.

You might want to go back and review the now-declassified documents that show that the so-called "bomber gap" between the US and USSR was all lies. The "bomber-gap" was simply justification for the US to build more and more bombers to maintain "superiority" over the USSR who never had more bombers than the US.

And the so-called "missile-gap" was a lie as well. The USSR never had more missiles than the US, but the mere fear created by a lie caused the US build thousands and thousands of missiles and nuclear warheads.

And as far as the Cuban Missile Crisis, that was JFK's fault. Eisenhower begged JFK not to deploy the Jupiter missiles to Italy and Turkey, but JFK being the total jack-ass jerk that he was did anyway, without thinking of the consequences, which is that the Soviets would respond by placing similar IRBMs in Cuba to so that the US would not have an advantage over the USSR.

Waiting for your spiel....

Mircea

Old 01-14-2012, 07:33 PM

22,923 posts, read 15,370,240 times
Holy Moly! When Mircea comes into a thread it's like the cannon fire in an overture! I'm watching this one for sure.

Old 01-14-2012, 11:17 PM

4,027 posts, read 7,261,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HurricaneDC View Post
OP, are you willing to put on a uniform and grab an M4A1 and go kill some Iranians?
I really hope that most people agree that even if war were imminent that we should still try diplomacy until it is absolutely impossible to continue. Why spend the money, and more importantly lives, to fight another war.

We have been in Iraq and Afghanistan longer than any other war and we need to realize that it was not a good idea and that our troops cannot keep this up regardless that they volunteered, everyone gets tired.

Old 01-15-2012, 12:46 AM

126 posts, read 77,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BruSan View Post
Whaaa? Iran has killed more U.S. troops than were killed in WWII? What you been sucking on bro? Did they invade your ass when we weren't paying attention? Sneak up on you and sink a bunch of carriers?
I meant to say that iran has killed more US troops than any nation since WW2 we are not at war with.

Quote:
I gotta watch the BBC more I guess 'cause I certainly missed that war with Iran where they killed all those U.S. troops.
Pay more attention to iraq next time.

Quote:
Oh wait; surely you don't mean Iranian sponsored terrorists who've attacked your troops when they were involved in foreign incursions in places they shouldn't have been? Gadzooks, you sent that many over there and got them killed? Over OIL?
Do the ron paul psychotics really believe that the lyndon larouche screeching chorus nonsense is going to fool anyone?

Since when is being in a place sufficient cause for being attacked? So when iranian officials come to the US for UN meetings, I have the right to shoot them? Where do you come up with this BS?

And how much iraqi oil has gone to the US? Try again, you might get lucky.

Quote:
Hey this seems cool to me; wind up your military and send them off to justify Putin's, Chavez and a bunch of others gaining traction to re-start the cold-war in spades. Give Russia and China no choice but to face you head on over a stupid decision like this one.
You have no clue; allowing a nuclear-armed iran jeopardizes the status peace quo across the middle east and beyond. It will de-stabilize the entire middle east and lead to far more ugly wars later, which could have been avoided had the US acted earlier on and de-capitated this cancerous, fake regime.

Old 01-15-2012, 01:09 AM

126 posts, read 77,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mircea View Post
Iran has a nuclear energy program, but no nuclear weapons program.
And you know this for a fact, how exactly? The IAEA says otherwise.

Quote:
Your government, specifically Leon Panetta, recently admitted that.
Uh, no he didn't.

Quote:
Building facilities in mountains makes sense, since Iran is earthquake prone, and since lunatics in USrael
Yes, iran sponsors baby killers, but the West are "lunatics." Do you even have a value system?

Quote:
Iran using their dual-reactors at Bushwehr to power desalinization plants to irrigate the Iranian Plateau
Are you being paid to spew this BS? Iran has a heavy-water reactor at Arak that has NO ENERGY PURPOSE WHATSOEVER.

Quote:
The UN and IAEA at the behest and under the coercive pressure of the US.
So everyone who disagrees with you is being "coerced"? Good debating skills

Quote:
The latest IAEA report is nothing more than a rehash of other earlier IAEA reports that said nothing.
WRONG. Try reading it.

Quote:
Assuming Iran really does want nuclear weapons, it is in their best interest for any number of reasons, including time, cost and kilo-tonnage to produce Plutonium.
Since most of the iranian nuclear weapons program is unknown, speculating like this is wasted hot air.

Quote:
Accordingly, the IAEA, by its own admission, has provided clear and convincing evidence that Iran is not seeking Plutonium for use in nuclear weapons.
For someone who pretends to be so knowledgeable, why don't I leave it up to the resident self-proclaimed "expert" on what type of fuel is produced by heavy water reactors, like the one iran has at arak? ZZZzzzzzzzzz....

Old 01-15-2012, 01:19 AM

4,027 posts, read 7,261,012 times
Quote:
And you know this for a fact, how exactly? The IAEA says otherwise.

Uh, no he didn't.

Yes, iran sponsors baby killers, but the West are "lunatics." Do you even have a value system?

Are you being paid to spew this BS? Iran has a heavy-water reactor at Arak that has NO ENERGY PURPOSE WHATSOEVER.

So everyone who disagrees with you is being "coerced"? Good debating skills

WRONG. Try reading it.

Since most of the iranian nuclear weapons program is unknown, speculating like this is wasted hot air.

For someone who pretends to be so knowledgeable, why don't I leave it up to the resident self-proclaimed "expert" on what type of fuel is produced by heavy water reactors, like the one iran has at arak? ZZZzzzzzzzzz....
You are wrong and your lack of values is disturbing.

Old 01-15-2012, 04:10 AM

1,348 posts, read 2,847,006 times
When I read threads like this, it only makes me feel so ashamed and sad for my country. Americans are no better than the Germans who lived under the Nazi regime and were completely brainwashed by it.

Iran is no threat to the US. It is only our enemy because we have made it an enemy.

In the same token, Israel is no friend of ours. It is a liability and the only reason why it is lionized by our media is because of specific special interest groups who have an iron fist on our government.

Wake up America! Stop getting involved in these foreign wars! Why do we have to bomb and kill everybody! These people would never be our enemies if we weren't constantly involving ourselves in their politics and their rivalries. We are creating our own enemies!

It is sad that we have never learned a lesson from 911. Aside from seeking and punishing those responsible, the US should have also reversed its policies that were causing the hatred. But alas, empires never learn until they crash.

This endless militarism and the agreement of the sheeple with our disastrous adventurism will be the death nail in the coffin of America!

Old 01-15-2012, 05:14 AM

12,867 posts, read 14,860,074 times
i find it interesting that no country wants to take "credit" for killing iranian scientists. it looks like israel wants the US to accept "responsibility" for the attack:

TEHRAN (Reuters) - Iran said on Saturday it had evidence Washington was behind the latest killing of one of its nuclear scientists, state television reported, at a time when tensions over the country's nuclear program have escalated to their highest level ever.

In the fifth attack of its kind in two years, a magnetic bomb was attached to the door of 32-year-old Mostafa Ahmadi-Roshan's car during the Wednesday morning rush-hour in the capital. His driver was also killed.

U.S. Secretary of State Hilary Clinton denied responsibility and Israeli President Shimon Peres said Israel had no role in the attack, to the best of his knowledge.

"We have reliable documents and evidence that this terrorist act was planned, guided and supported by the CIA," the Iranian foreign ministry said in a letter handed to the Swiss ambassador in Tehran, state TV reported.

killing scientists (and "collaterals") is a cowardly thing to do, and no wonder both countries try to deny responsibility. (pinning the blame on each other, oddly enough for "allies")

this isn't america's finest hour, that is for sure-and i sure hope in our case it isn't true that you eventually reap what you sow. may i also remind my fellow americans that we still have SOLDIERS in the mideast when we engage in these hostile actions, and put them at further risk? have we forgotten about them?

Old 01-15-2012, 05:36 AM

8,274 posts, read 12,813,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bideshi View Post
What has Iran done to justify an attack by the US?

Ummm nothing.... what did Iraq do? What did Libya do that Syria hasn't? no mention of going there.... curious?

Why has the funding of the attack on 9/11 by the Saudis not been looked at?

Here is what I will bet. No matter what is said to the public, there is a real reason we go anywhere and it has nothing to do with what we are told. I also bet someone is making millions at the expense of our young people.... you know, the expendable ones. Disgraceful!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies