Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-13-2012, 08:27 PM

1,571 posts, read 2,000,704 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by slackjaw View Post
Hard drive designed by engineers, manufactured with machines designed and built by engineers, and with firmware and software written by computer programmers, working with anti-virus software written by computer programmers.

Yup, all just magically automatic.
And, you're probably using the same kind of archaic hard drive I am, with motor driven spinning disks, instead of the state-of-the-art solid state hard drive with no moving parts. Technology is advancing in a very high geometric progression. In the next 5 years, it will advance more than it did in the last 10 years. I currently have software that, when I draw a schematic, the computer lays it out for a PC board. Computers are capable of laying out, exposing, developing, etching, drilling, soldering, and testing boards with no human fingerprints. I can also simulate the circuit to see if it will operate as intended before I have the computer lay it out for a PC board. In the near future, computers will be capable of designing the circuit according to the demands of the the system the circuit fits into.

We've had "cognizant robots" for the last 30 years, able to "see" and recognize any exposed wall outlet, plug themselves in for recharge, when the batteries get low. Today, that technology has progressed to the point where they are talking about cars that will drive themselves. Climb in, sit down, program in the destination, lean back, and enjoy the ride.

I remember when a computer was larger than a semi-trailer, made up of resisters, capacitors, coils, and vacuum tubes, and programmed with "Fortran", and the ambient temp was kept at 60 degrees F so the system would not overheat. You would need more than a hundred of them to try to match what your iphone is capable of today.

I also remember when the "man in the moon" was more realistic than human footprints on the lunar surface. At the turn of the century, one small laptop had more capability than all of NASA's computers put together in 1969.

You're looking to the future through "tunnel vision". As computers and software evolve, more and more of the work will be done by computers, including taking the place of engineers. They will allow just one person to operate an entire computerized corporation. I know how fantastic it sounds. But, take my word for it... If someone would have told us, back in the '50s and '60s, what technology would be capable of in the year 2000, we'd have laughed at them too. In the future, you have a wake-up call coming.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2012, 11:48 PM

1,571 posts, read 2,000,704 times
Just read an article about CEO pay. There are CEOs that are getting as much as $48,000 an hour...

Seriously, no man's decisions are worth $48,000 for one hour of their time. No man. Not even Steve Jobs with all he did for Apple. Not when the employees are only making $10/hour.

Old 01-13-2012, 11:50 PM

3,022 posts, read 2,273,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by earthlyfather View Post
If one is poor and uneducated, then it is better to spend time on education then making children that one has no possibility of raising well, much less support.

If one is poor, then there is no time for gaming, texting, surfing the net, watching TV, going to the track, hanging out, or anything else non-productive.

If one is poor, then there is no room for cigarettes, alcohol, or drugs.

It may make for a dull boy, but all work and little to no play will fix the poverty problem for most.

The rest, if the families can't or won't help, we as a society can help.
What right do you have to tell poor people what they are supposed to do. Requiring the poor to only work on education all the time and nothing else is stupid. Are they not supposed to sleep or shower either?

Old 01-13-2012, 11:59 PM

3,117 posts, read 4,585,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by matt1984 View Post
What right do you have to tell poor people what they are supposed to do. Requiring the poor to only work on education all the time and nothing else is stupid. Are they not supposed to sleep or shower either?
What right do poor people have to tell successful people how they should distribute their own money that they earned? Requiring the successful to work to support poor strangers all the time is stupid. Are we supposed to pretend the poor are our children who will NEVER move out of the house? Fixed that for you.

A poor person is in a place they don't want to be. Meaning that THEY have work to do to get themselves out of the place they're at. A successful person is already where they want to be, meaning they don't have to put in that effort and have more options. It is not the right of the poor person to demand that the successful person lower their own station in life in order to elevate the poor person so that the poor person won't have to put in the effort. If the poor person goes "Welp, the successful person won't subsidize me, so I give up", that's their choice, and the poor person deserves whatever ramifications of that choice are to come.

Old 01-14-2012, 12:03 AM

12,997 posts, read 13,644,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the_windwalker View Post
Just read an article about CEO pay. There are CEOs that are getting as much as $48,000 an hour...

Seriously, no man's decisions are worth $48,000 for one hour of their time. No man. Not even Steve Jobs with all he did for Apple. Not when the employees are only making $10/hour.
So true. Of course there are differences in the abilities of individuals, making the time of some much more valuable than that of others -- but 4800 time more valuable? An hour of one man's life is 4800 more times valuable than an hour of anothers? If we continue on this path, we will have lords, ladies, serfs, kings, queens, etc. again before a century has passed. It's such a shame to see such a regression back into slavery. We dishonor our ancestors by allowing this to happen. They fought too hard for our freedom and liberty for us to allow it to be squandered like this.

Old 01-14-2012, 07:32 AM

2,226 posts, read 2,102,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the_windwalker View Post

True dat!

Old 01-14-2012, 07:59 AM

2,226 posts, read 2,102,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xanathos View Post
Like I said, the path is harder - but there is a path. Maybe instead of focusing on how easy some people have it people should focus on the best way for THEM to advance - and no, taking from the guy who has it easy isn't the answer. The good hardworking poverty stricken guy....nor the hardworking lower middle class guy (or gal of course) is NOT taking from anyone. They ALL want to work. The fact that people are on welfare or using charity for a leg up is because they have lost all the safety nets that life provides most of us! My only issue with posters such as yourself is that you assume people to be lazy and dishonest. I assume the opposite and believe people simply need help on occasion. Life's bums, lifetime druggies, and variable losers don't invoke the slightest bit of sympathy in me...but even those on nights that are freezing I'm happy that sleep centers & churchs and food giveaways exist so we aren't all stepping over bodies in the streets.

You have no idea my background. My background is one of those ones that you claim a person could never escape from. If you are say from the foster care service...no matter how horrendous...they were what I am calling "basic help". If you are from that poor immigrnt family I was speaking of...I don't believe you. Yet I have. And I've done it with basically no assistance. The term "basically" comes into play here. Certainly less than is available to anybody. I'm walking, talking, eating, drinking, breathing, crapping proof it can be done. Nothing I have ever said or alluded to said that people cannot succeed in life pulling themselves up by the bootstraps. The majority of working middle class folks did just that, that is called the American Dream. Even the lowliest least likely person can somehow be "saved" by the Grace of God, or a bit of luck, or a particular welfare program or a church or neighbor helping out. If any of that was you, then you have proved ALL my points. A leg up isn't someone "taking" from you. Its "you giving" willingly to help another that maybe facing some of your own obstacles. Its a good thing.

Yeah see, you took a different career path: Digging for gold. LOL, I was a bit "tongue in cheek" when I said that which is why thats so funny if you knew MY background. I also was a pull yourself up by the bootsraps, single mom of 2, that worked my way from clerk to management well before meeting current husband that actually preferred me to quit working to be available to join him when he had time off to play, rather than be a drain on his tax liability and also be his helpmate at home, so he coud become successful at his business. Typical of our age brackett by the way. Now THAT is something not everybody has the ability to do. Lots of women take that route. Lots of women wish they could but are working too blasted hard to help make a living for their families. Since I started young, I was still young enough to enjoy an early retirement from the workplace. I am a successful artist though...if that helpsYou were essentially a predator to some socially awkward male that didn't realize he was marrying down. That's a whole other topic.
A charming good looking woman who loves life and people and has GREAT legs.... don't have to be predators....we just have "to be", life comes to us...LOL. My husband, BTW is an extremley social & profossionally adept businessman, personable friendly, nice looking, educated, refined and generally GO TO guy that all the up and coming execs use as a mentor. I'm everyone's favorite corporate wife. He would have even helped you in your career....who knows maybe he did, you may have enjoyed one of my parties!Carry on!

Last edited by 60sfemi; 01-14-2012 at 08:04 AM.. Reason: spelling
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies