Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-13-2012, 12:10 PM

2,226 posts, read 2,098,568 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
but you need to rethink your ideas about union and blue collar workers! They work as hard as you do.

No. They don't. That is politically correct bullcrud. The average american has no earthly clue how hard some of us work.
I know there are people who work even harder than I do. And I know that most people don't work nearly as hard as I do. I am not willing to go to the lengths that those people who work harder than I do go to...but I don't blame them for achieving more than me. And I don't make up bullcrud nonsense about how everyone works hard and deserves blah blah blah so I can devise ways of stealing their money from them.

So what is it you do that you believe is working "harder" than a blue collar worker? Why do you assume an "average" american has no clue how hard another worker works? Right now I'm playing on this silly computer forum while three Mexican men are killing themselves in the other room, covered in layers of dust, hand picking out the glue that held down my OLD floor that I didn't like the looks of, so I'm replacing it with a prettier wood floor! Not a single one of those hard working men will live to see 50. Their children have no chance of ever being better than their fathers without compassion and a small amount of public help. I live in a big house on 2 acres and I haven't done anything NOTHING in my lifetime that would qualify me to live like this, any more than they did something wrong other than being born in the wrong country into poverty. I don't see them stealing any money from me, I don't see them "whining" about how easy I have it (of course they don't speak English). They will probably have to try and get to a food bank at the end of the week even with the tip I will be giving them. The world isn't fair, its not equitable. All I'm saying is I (nor you) have the right to determine whom is lazy, or lesser than yourself because of the circumstances of their lives. We simply need to treat each other as human beings and quit the typical white person bullcrud (as you say) about how superior we are and how we should look down at everyone else. Its simply wrong and extremely shamefull. You will not find me complaining about tax rate!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2012, 12:49 PM

3,117 posts, read 4,574,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 60sfemi View Post
So what is it you do that you believe is working "harder" than a blue collar worker? Why do you assume an "average" american has no clue how hard another worker works? Right now I'm playing on this silly computer forum while three Mexican men are killing themselves in the other room, covered in layers of dust, hand picking out the glue that held down my OLD floor that I didn't like the looks of, so I'm replacing it with a prettier wood floor! Not a single one of those hard working men will live to see 50. Their children have no chance of ever being better than their fathers without compassion and a small amount of public help. I live in a big house on 2 acres and I haven't done anything NOTHING in my lifetime that would qualify me to live like this, any more than they did something wrong other than being born in the wrong country into poverty. I don't see them stealing any money from me, I don't see them "whining" about how easy I have it (of course they don't speak English). They will probably have to try and get to a food bank at the end of the week even with the tip I will be giving them. The world isn't fair, its not equitable. All I'm saying is I (nor you) have the right to determine whom is lazy, or lesser than yourself because of the circumstances of their lives. We simply need to treat each other as human beings and quit the typical white person bullcrud (as you say) about how superior we are and how we should look down at everyone else. Its simply wrong and extremely shamefull. You will not find me complaining about tax rate!
It's sad that you have so little faith in a person's ability to better their lives to where you think everybody needs some sort of handout or aid in order to make something of themselves. It must suck to live in such a dark world where you have no control over your own existence.

Old 01-13-2012, 01:01 PM

1,571 posts, read 1,996,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xanathos View Post
This quote won't absorb all your red ink (how appropro), but I'll point out one thing you seem to not get: The reason a blue collar worker shouldn't expect a white collar salary is supply and demand. There are millions and millions and millions of people who can clean a house or quickly learn how to put up some drywall. There are not that many people who can figure out how to write an application or run a business. Just because someone works "hard" doesn't mean they're entitled to the same wage.

Ever hear the axiom "work smarter, not harder"?
Are you aware that the founder of MICROSOFT never spent one day in college? So, just where did he acquire the ability to lead? And, I believe he's still in charge, isn't he? What are he and MICROSOFT worth today?

The problem with Corporate America is that they fail to recognize the ability of someone that does not have a degree to back up leadership abilities. And, when a blue-collar worker comes up with an innovation, engineering studies it, writes it up, and claims it. But, the employee that originally discovered it.... NOTHING.

I know this because I personally know the individual that came up with "PHASE-ANGLE CORRECTORS". I was there when he first stumbled onto it. I was also there about a year later when engineering first got their hands on it. Does the employee's name appear anywhere on the documentation? Not a screaming chance in hell. Just kick him in the butt and make him work harder. But, by all means, claim the hundreds of thousands in profits and royalties for the company.

Another example is the "locking rachets" sold by Craftsman (Sears). The employee that came up with the idea had to go to court to make Sears pay him royalties.

By the way... The employee that first noticed "PHASE-ANGLE CORRECTION" also had time to find out much more. But, the company did not get the rest. He's been sitting on it for the last 20 years, and won't give it out to anyone. When he realized they cut him out of it, he also cut them off of the rest he learned about it, which is even more valuable, so in their greed, the company cut their own throats.

So, by all means, do work smarter. Then give the information to the company.... And promptly turn around, pull your pants down, bend over, and spread 'em.

Old 01-13-2012, 01:02 PM

679 posts, read 659,443 times
This thread is full of projections and ad hom.

I grew up and got an education University and high school and my parents stressed working hard and even I am smart enough to see the systematic corruption the gives us a massive unequal income gap in this country.

Old 01-13-2012, 01:04 PM

Quote:
It's sad that you have so little faith in a person's ability to better their lives to where you think everybody needs some sort of handout or aid in order to make something of themselves. It must suck to live in such a dark world where you have no control over your own existence.

You are right, its horribly sad that many, many, many folks will never have the ability to better themselves. They have been steeped in the extremes of poverty, held down by bigotryfor generations and that without at least some handouts they haven't a chance of getting out of it. Ever Without some handouts and aid, many people black, hispanic and white would literally go without food for days on end. Too many children in this country have one meal a day, and that is provided at school. Many old people share their food with their pets. Or should I say, their pets food with themselves. I imagine it does suck horribly to live in this dark world where there is no control over their own existence. You and I haven't ever experienced it, but the numbers are growing everyday. I think the latest hunger numbers are 1 in 9. That's astounding!!!! How can you complain about how lazy and useless all those poor people are, and in the next posting think they will majically pull themselves up by their bootstraps and have a nice life? True poverty unfortunately breeds more poverty, as jobs are taken away from the poorest of the working poor and sent to countries where corporations can pay next to slave labor wages with no regulations on children working or worker conditions the lower working classes fall into abject poverty, the lower middle class falls into poverty and every class slides down on top of that heap. Not a pretty picture, I'm glad you are finally seeing it.

Old 01-13-2012, 01:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thatsright19 View Post
I worked my ass off in school to get straight A's and secure internships and other life expirences. My drive to do well is extremely high. I work for a CPA firm.

However, I won't for one second think I got there on my own . My parents were decent citizens who knew how to raise me. My dad worked his ass off to keep us in a suburban school district. We never went without. I had a stay at home mom.

Would I have been in position to chase my dreams if I didn't just so happen to be born to this family, in this area, with this upbringing? I doubt it highly.

I may have put in my end of the bargain with a relentless work ethic (paying for school ect), but to pretend that all things are equal for everyone is absurd.

Someday my kids will be in a better position to do well as well....simply because I would watch after them, keep them on the right path, and financially support them.
Good post

Old 01-13-2012, 01:13 PM

15,088 posts, read 13,411,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheEssex View Post
to get a college education in a productive, vibrant field. I grew up in the middle class, but my parents stressed hard work and education. If you do both there is no way that you can't succeed in this country. Nobody should make 90k a year out of high school without working for it. Most of those Detroit auto jobs were handed down from generation to generation. Nobody should make so much money with such good benefits without having put their "time"in in the real world and worked their way up. Flame away!
I "whine" about how the middle class is becoming hollowed out, because I think there is a major structural transformation that has happened in the American economy. 90% of people ignore it and keep repeating the same arguments as if we were still in 1981. And for what it's worth, I have a master's degree, work 50-60 hour weeks, and make over six figures annually. So I wouldn't consider myself as lazy.

Old 01-13-2012, 01:13 PM

Quote:
You're the one saying "consider beneath yourself", not me. I consider myself above very few on a personal level (bums by choice and the like the obvious exceptions). However, my WORTH to society? Yeah, I am more important. That's just how it is.

What do you bring to society as a whole that is more important than someone that builds the infrastructure that you live in.

Old 01-13-2012, 01:15 PM

1,571 posts, read 1,996,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
but you need to rethink your ideas about union and blue collar workers! They work as hard as you do.

No. They don't. That is politically correct bullcrud. The average american has no earthly clue how hard some of us work.
I know there are people who work even harder than I do. And I know that most people don't work nearly as hard as I do. I am not willing to go to the lengths that those people who work harder than I do go to...but I don't blame them for achieving more than me. And I don't make up bullcrud nonsense about how everyone works hard and deserves blah blah blah so I can devise ways of stealing their money from them.
So, I'm guessing that, perhaps, you are in management. I've been there. I know the type of job, the amount of work, and the stress that goes along with it. And, when you're in charge of a job that will take 5 weeks to complete, any one of a dozen employees can make a mistake, damage part of the job, and $5.5 million worth goes right down the tubes, there's a pretty good level of stress. But, do you work harder? NO, YOU DO NOT!!! What you do have is more responsibility, which also means more stress. But, you do not work HARDER than they do. Your's is mental labor, while theirs if physical. That's like comparing apples and oranges.

Old 01-13-2012, 01:16 PM

3,117 posts, read 4,574,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the_windwalker View Post
Are you aware that the founder of MICROSOFT never spent one day in college? So, just where did he acquire the ability to lead? And, I believe he's still in charge, isn't he? What are he and MICROSOFT worth today?
Actually, he was a student at Harvard, and dropped out. Um, and he's also not still in charge. None of which has to do with the fact that if you make bad choices in life, bad things tend to happen. Gates was already a brilliant techie.

Quote:
The problem with Corporate America is that they fail to recognize the ability of someone that does not have a degree to back up leadership abilities. And, when a blue-collar worker comes up with an innovation, engineering studies it, writes it up, and claims it. But, the employee that originally discovered it.... NOTHING.
You're the first person to talk about "having" to have a degree to be successful. Sounds like you're a little bitter that things haven't worked out for you, and you're lashing out. I was talking about people who obtani degrees...in useless fields...and then expect it to turn into something.

Quote:
So, by all means, do work smarter. Then give the information to the company.... And promptly turn around, pull your pants down, bend over, and spread 'em.
Working smarter means not letting someone else take what you might think up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies