Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-13-2012, 11:27 AM

26,680 posts, read 28,667,610 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
Do I oppose gay marriage in US? Yes, I do. Do I oppose Canada marrying American gay couples? Yes, I do, because US does not recognize them. I think Canada is doing the right thing invalidating the "marriages".
Many states do recognize same-sex marriages, even from other countries.

CA, CT, DC, IA, MD, MA, NH, NY, VT

Old 01-13-2012, 12:39 PM

76,971 posts, read 47,621,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
Many states do recognize same-sex marriages, even from other countries.

CA, CT, DC, IA, MD, MA, NH, NY, VT
See, that's the problem. Some states do, and some don't, so "marriage" is not uniform in the nation. For the sake of clarity, it would be better if it was a uniform "NO" in every state.

Old 01-13-2012, 01:01 PM

11,431 posts, read 18,999,262 times
Quote:
See, that's the problem. Some states do, and some don't, so "marriage" is not uniform in the nation. For the sake of clarity, it would be better if it was a uniform "NO" in every state.
Or a uniform "YES".

Old 01-13-2012, 01:06 PM

25,231 posts, read 16,935,949 times
Quote:
Do I oppose gay marriage in US? Yes, I do. Do I oppose Canada marrying American gay couples? Yes, I do, because US does not recognize them. I think Canada is doing the right thing invalidating the "marriages".
I thought so, but I am amazed that you do.

Old 01-13-2012, 01:11 PM

Quote:
That is why it does not belong at the State level, it is an issue that affects Millions of Americans and their rights should be evenly applied across all of America and that includes the rights under the law and when it comes to benefits and SS. The only just answer is YES they should be allowed to get married under the Law and should enjoy the same rights that all other Americans enjoy. I have YET to hear ONE logical arguement why they should be descriminated against under the Law on this matter.

Old 01-13-2012, 01:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casper in Dallas View Post
That is why it does not belong at the State level, it is an issue that affects Millions of Americans and their rights should be evenly applied across all of America and that includes the rights under the law and when it comes to benefits and SS. The only just answer is YES they should be allowed to get married under the Law and should enjoy the same rights that all other Americans enjoy. I have YET to hear ONE logical arguement why they should be descriminated against under the Law on this matter.
The law has always been the same for heteros and homos, and now some states seek to modify it to accomodate minority groups. Does that make sense to you? It does not make sense to me.

Old 01-13-2012, 01:20 PM

168 posts, read 142,890 times
Quote:
The law has always been the same for heteros and homos, and now some states seek to modify it to accomodate minority groups. Does that make sense to you? It does not make sense to me.

I'm guessing the CRA didn't make much sense to you either? Or the fact that women were given the right to vote? If something is broke, you fix it. Not allowing two people in love to have the benefits two other people in love have is wrong.

Old 01-13-2012, 01:28 PM

Quote:
Accomodate minority groups, you mean like they have accomodated minorites such as black people, are you against that also? The government is not in the business of accomodating only the majority, or didn't you know that, if if it were Black People would not be free (well they would, but they would have had to do it without the government). The government is about ensure ALL it citizens are treated fairly and evenly under the LAW, denying gays the right to Marry is not applying the LAW evenly. Don't even try saying they can get married, because they cannot marry the other consenting adult they want to marry, that is an old and very flawed arguement. Interesting to see this side of you Fin, unfortunately it makes me re-evaluate the opinion I have held for a long long time, such is Life.

Old 01-13-2012, 01:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casper in Dallas View Post
Accomodate minority groups, you mean like they have accomodated minorites such as black people, are you against that also? The government is not in the business of accomodating only the majority, or didn't you know that, if if it were Black People would not be free (well they would, but they would have had to do it without the government). The government is about ensure ALL it citizens are treated fairly and evenly under the LAW, denying gays the right to Marry is not applying the LAW evenly. Don't even try saying they can get married, because they cannot marry the other consenting adult they want to marry, that is an old and very flawed arguement. Interesting to see this side of you Fin, unfortunately it makes me re-evaluate the opinion I have held for a long long time, such is Life.
Again, the marriage law has always been the same for all people, and has always been applied the same to all regardless of sexual orientation.

Old 01-13-2012, 02:00 PM

42,732 posts, read 29,874,717 times
Canada is not invalidating any marriages, gay or otherwise.

All same-sex marriages legal: Canadian justice minister | CTV News
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies