Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-14-2011, 09:31 AM

2,010 posts, read 2,371,876 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by enemy country View Post
This girl was ghetto did I miss something?
He's assuming and placing labels not based on fact, just like you and your buddies claiming the landlord was a right winger/teabagger. Both are equally stupid.

Quote:
Originally Posted by calipoppy View Post
As history has shown us, the average White American person could care less that things like this are mentally draining or hurtful and will continue to live with the status quo of discrimination. And so does the average Afriacn American person. And the average Asian American. And the average Hispanic American, etc.
I disagree. I don't think the "average white American" could care less. If this happened by me, I would speak up and tell the landlord she's a racist POS.

Quote:
African Americans need to turn inward. We need to become more cloistered (like Asian Americans, Jewish Americans, Hispanic Americans). They support each other. They support each others businesses. They network amongst each other for services and other needs. They rent their properties to each other. They recycle their resources within their own communities. We need to stop giving our money to people who have little regard for us. We need to vote with our "pocketbooks" and put those companies out of business who do not respect our buying power or us as people.
This sounds a lot like segregation to me, is that what you're advocating? I think all people should be accepting of all people, period. The us vs. them, "take care of your own" mentality is damaging. I don't remember MLK saying he had a dream of one day all blacks can create their own communties devoid of white people, but maybe I missed it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2011, 09:39 AM

18,258 posts, read 22,532,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SimpleMan View Post
He's assuming and placing labels not based on fact, just like you and your buddies claiming the landlord was a right winger/teabagger. Both are equally stupid.

I disagree. I don't think the "average white American" could care less. If this happened by me, I would speak up and tell the landlord she's a racist POS.

This sounds a lot like segregation to me, is that what you're advocating? I think all people should be accepting of all people, period. The us vs. them, "take care of your own" mentality is damaging. I don't remember MLK saying he had a dream of one day all blacks can create their own communties devoid of white people, but maybe I missed it.

This is not what I said AT ALL. No one takes issue with Asian Americans, Hispanic Americans and Jewish Americans being somewhat cloistered as communities...patronizing each others businesses, keeping their money in the community, supporting each other. Why is it an issue to suggest that African Americans do the same?

If we as African Americans would spend more time building our own businesses and having other African Americans to support our own businesses then we would not have to deal (as much) with the racist whims of people like the landlady in the OP. If people want your money but don't want to treat you equally...stop giving them your money, your business.

We would be much better off if we stopped asking people who hate us to respect us, be fair to us, treat us as equals. We need to build our own and then those people will not matter.

Old 12-14-2011, 09:46 AM

7,545 posts, read 8,326,934 times
Quote:
As history has shown us, the average White American person could care less that things like this are mentally draining or hurtful and will continue to live with the status quo of discrimination. And so does the average Afriacn American person. And the average Asian American. And the average Hispanic American, etc.

African Americans need to turn inward. We need to become more cloistered (like Asian Americans, Jewish Americans, Hispanic Americans). They support each other. They support each others businesses. They network amongst each other for services and other needs. They rent their properties to each other. They recycle their resources within their own communities. We need to stop giving our money to people who have little regard for us. We need to vote with our "pocketbooks" and put those companies out of business who do not respect our buying power or us as people.
You fail to acknowledge the business owners who set up shop in ghettos and provide necessary services to these folks. Many of which are Asian Americans and Jewish Americans. Do you really want them pulling out of these neighborhoods? What then? No grocery stores, no delis, no housing to rent, nothing. Yes, poor blacks in ghettos need to rise above their culture so that they have the resources to open their own shops in their neighborhoods.

Old 12-14-2011, 10:00 AM

18,258 posts, read 22,532,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whatyousay View Post
You fail to acknowledge the business owners who set up shop in ghettos and provide necessary services to these folks. Many of which are Asian Americans and Jewish Americans. Do you really want them pulling out of these neighborhoods? What then? No grocery stores, no delis, no housing to rent, nothing. Yes, poor blacks in ghettos need to rise above their culture so that they have the resources to open their own shops in their neighborhoods.
Many of the businesses who set up shop in these neighborhoods do so because it is profitable and have been known to block African Americans from entering into the business. They have also been known to not be respectful to those Black residents and sell lower quality products. Black people should not patronize businesses that do not respect them.

In the case of beauty supply stores, many of these are Korean owned and many have actually have blocked Black owned beauty supply stores by boycotting suppliers to block them from selling to any Black owned stores. The same has happened to Black owned grocery stores. But we need to continue to build our own. We need to turn inward and stop asking people who despise us to respect us.

Why Do Koreans Own The Black Beauty Supply Business? | Madame Noire | Black Women's Lifestyle Guide | Black Hair | Black Love#

Old 12-14-2011, 10:09 AM

3,498 posts, read 2,218,190 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by afoigrokerkok View Post
Ohio Landlord Fights Judge Ruling Against "White Only" Pool Sign
Is she a Ron Paul fan? I suspect he would side with the landlord.

Old 12-14-2011, 10:11 AM

1,604 posts, read 1,565,689 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkatt View Post
Actually she's probably a staunch democrat. She's from a predominantly democratic area
Cincinnati is solidly Republican. Do you think you can just make up your own facts and get away with it? You can't deal with the fact that she is a Republican... admit it.

Old 12-14-2011, 10:13 AM

2,010 posts, read 2,371,876 times
Quote:
This is not what I said AT ALL. No one takes issue with Asian Americans, Hispanic Americans and Jewish Americans being somewhat cloistered as communities...patronizing each others businesses, keeping their money in the community, supporting each other. Why is it an issue to suggest that African Americans do the same?
I have an issue with segregation by any race of any group. It goes against what this country is supposed to be, aka a "melting pot".

Quote:
If we as African Americans would spend more time building our own businesses and having other African Americans to support our own businesses then we would not have to deal (as much) with the racist whims of people like the landlady in the OP. If people want your money but don't want to treat you equally...stop giving them your money, your business.
Does racism from businesses happen to you or people you know that often? I think this case is rare, that's why it's headline news.

Quote:
We would be much better off if we stopped asking people who hate us to respect us, be fair to us, treat us as equals. We need to build our own and then those people will not matter.
Stupid people are going to remain stupid for the most part. If this person wants to put up a "no blacks allowed" sign, then she should suffer the consequences. Tenants should move out, people of all races in that complex should make a stand. I'm sure their are some white people who are apathetic to the issue or even agree with her, but I would like to believe that it's the minority. In Vallejo I stopped in a liquor store (in a shopping center that was predominatly owned/operated by blacks) to get a map and was told "we don't sell white maps here", so I won't ever go there again and support a racist POS. People of all races shouldn't support his business either, but how many blacks do you know that would refuse to go there from now on because the owner is a racist? It has to work both ways.

Old 12-14-2011, 10:13 AM

25,947 posts, read 24,745,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
Private land owners should be able to discriminate against who they'd like. If an black business owner doesn't want to serve white folks, he should be able to limit who enters his store.

That said, I find what this land lord did to be terrible, and I hope that those in Ohio and the surrounding community ban together to abandon this building and not rent there at all until the sign is taken down or is bought by a new owner.

We should keep anti discimination laws for public land and facilities, but privately owned should mean that you can do what you want on your land.
Why?
Do human rights not apply everywhere? I thought they are innate...
You can't build anything you want on your private land, either. You have to get a permit first if I am not mistaken.

No wonder blacks aren't good at swimming

Old 12-14-2011, 10:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tropolis View Post
what i dont get is this. the girl went to her parents place. the parents lived under this white landlord. the white landlord let the black parents move in with them. why is it a big deal with this landlord that this specific black girl used the pool when i assume other blacks have used it. what about this girl set the landlord off.
Nothing more than the color of her skin. Don't even try to wrap your head around it. Racism has no logic but hate.

Old 12-14-2011, 10:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostrider275452 View Post
Well I thought about that, and lets just go with a no trespassing sign. Will that work?
I actually think the sign was directed toward the ghetto underclass thug blacks, if it makes you feel any better and how does one determine the difference? Should she have put a sign up saying "Blacks allowed except the ghetto thug variety".
What if someone else put up a sign saying "No white trash or Teabaggers allowed", how would you respond to that?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies