Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-13-2012, 04:16 PM

3,791 posts, read 8,905,541 times

Advertisements

West Kentucky Star - Featured News (http://www.westkentuckystar.com/Featured-News/Paducah-Habitat-Home-First-with-Solar-Technology - broken link)

I can see both sides of this and I do agree with one of the comments. I wish I got my home for a really low price with solar power.

This country is odd. If you are wealthy, you get tons of things. If you are poor, you get tons of things handed to you. In the middle??? Screwed. If you are poor in this country, you can qualify for:

Free or low-cost housing
Free or low-cost internet service
Free or low-cost cell phone service
Free or low-cost home phone
Free food (food stamps/SNAP)
Help to pay your utilities
Free clothing
Free gifts at Christmas
Medicaid
Free school lunches
Free school supplies
No school fee's
Free fans in the summer
Free heaters in the winter
Free money (SSI)
No taxes

There's probably more that I can't think of off hand. In a lot of ways, it seems the poor in this country can thrive better than the middle-class.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2012, 04:18 PM

14,975 posts, read 16,476,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kentuckydad95 View Post
West Kentucky Star - Featured News (http://www.westkentuckystar.com/Featured-News/Paducah-Habitat-Home-First-with-Solar-Technology - broken link)

I can see both sides of this and I do agree with one of the comments. I wish I got my home for a really low price with solar power.

This country is odd. If you are wealthy, you get tons of things.
Which is why corporate welfare should end and loopholes for the wealthy in the tax codes should end. Also, offshoring money should be cracked down on.

Quote:
If you are poor, you get tons of things handed to you. In the middle??? Screwed. If you are poor in this country, you can qualify for:

Free or low-cost housing
Free clothing
Free gifts at Christmas
Medicaid
Free school lunches
Free school supplies
No school fee's
Free fans in the summer
Free money (SSI)
No taxes

There's probably more that I can't think of off hand. In a lot of ways, it seems the poor in this country can thrive better than the middle-class.
Which is why the middle class should not be required to pay for all these things for the poor.

There need to be incentives for the poor to rise up to the middle class.

Old 01-13-2012, 04:22 PM

3,117 posts, read 4,589,728 times
Arguing it's "easier" to be poor is a silly thing to do.

Arguing that being poor in this country makes it very easy to claim it's not your fault and blame others for your problems - and actually have suckers who believe you - that's very easy.

Old 01-13-2012, 04:27 PM

3,791 posts, read 8,905,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xanathos View Post
Arguing it's "easier" to be poor is a silly thing to do.

Arguing that being poor in this country makes it very easy to claim it's not your fault and blame others for your problems - and actually have suckers who believe you - that's very easy.
Good point!

Old 01-13-2012, 05:04 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,557,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by afoigrokerkok View Post
Which is why corporate welfare should end and loopholes for the wealthy in the tax codes should end. Also, offshoring money should be cracked down on.

Which is why the middle class should not be required to pay for all these things for the poor.

There need to be incentives for the poor to rise up to the middle class.
The funny thing is that there is no transition period for those on welfare to get jobs and get some $$$ under their belt or have partial welfare while making a low salary. It's all or none and sometimes that job pays less than the total welfare benefits collected (all programs) but once you start working, no matter for how little, you lose them all.

That is a disincentive. That means right out of the gate they need to find a job that pays at least, if not more, after taxes, what their total welfare benefits used to give them.

Old 01-14-2012, 06:30 PM

1,571 posts, read 2,002,246 times
Is this a "trick question"????

Poor get government hand-outs, and the rich get government hand-outs. The hard job is to be part of the middle-class. They get the bill for both ends of the spectrum. On one end, you have government assistance, and on the other end, you get government bailouts..... Complete with bonuses...

It's the middle class that gets to bend over and spread 'em...

Old 01-14-2012, 06:34 PM

20,948 posts, read 19,068,895 times
Quote:

This country is odd. If you are wealthy, you get tons of things. If you are poor, you get tons of things handed to you. In the middle??? Screwed. If you are poor in this country, you can qualify for:

Free or low-cost housing
Free clothing
Free gifts at Christmas
Medicaid
Free school lunches
Free school supplies
No school fee's
Free fans in the summer
Free money (SSI)
No taxes

Exactly how do rich people "get things"?

Nobody living in America should be looking to "get something".

Old 01-14-2012, 07:22 PM

1,724 posts, read 1,472,765 times
Quote:
This country is odd. If you are wealthy, you get tons of things. If you are poor, you get tons of things handed to you. In the middle??? Screwed.
If you are so sure about your analysis that being poor is a path to a grand life, then give up your middle class status (assuming that is where you are) and go get your free stuff.

Then report back and tell us how easy and grand your life is.

Last edited by A Common Anomaly; 01-14-2012 at 07:33 PM..

Old 01-14-2012, 07:28 PM

521 posts, read 467,628 times
Get rid of low cost housing ghettos, get rid of food stamps, remove welfare altogether, end social security, and medicaid. The poor have got it way too easy. The rich and middle class are the people busting their butts everyday. The lazy are poor and worthless. Welfare and other freebies make them even more lazy.

Old 01-14-2012, 07:30 PM

521 posts, read 467,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by A Common Anomaly View Post
If you are so sure about your analysis that being poor is a path to a grand life, then give up your middle class (assuming that is where you are) and go get your free stuff.

Then report back and tell us how easy and grand your life is.
It's way easier being poor and not doing anything and get everything for free than actually working for a living.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies