Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-25-2010, 04:01 PM

11,155 posts, read 29,316,613 times

Advertisements

what do you need such a large force for the cost to outfit and train everyone would be insane
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2010, 04:21 PM

871 posts, read 1,630,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joey2000 View Post
Fantastic idea. Never happen in this country that thrives on self-entitlement though.
well north korea is a great model to some people.

Old 02-25-2010, 04:28 PM

44,882 posts, read 33,264,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElkHunter View Post
Excellent Mach. I also firmly believe a person should serve 2 years. However, with one modification. At age 20. Straight out of high school, they're still unsure of themselves. Undecided. If we wait till age 20, you'll get a lot more settled individual.

Also, what about border security as one of the options?
How many unemployed 18 year olds do you think we need. We would have a bunch of them if you had a law that required military service after age 20. People wouldn't hire young men knowing that they would be gone at age 20.

We of the old man variety who got to serve under UMT, Universal Military Training, back in the 50s found that very problem. I graduated from college at 21 and just couldn't get a teaching job because they were all afraid I would be drafted in mid-year. I finally enlisted just to get it over with.

Take those kids at 18 since the military people know they make the best soldiers since they aren't family men yet and are more willing to take orders without question than older men.

I well remember the early 70s when they stopped the draft completely. It was easier on many people and better for the military because they got people who wanted to be there, for whatever reason. Those draftees I served with were, by and large, about as worthless as anything could be. They were all counting the days to discharge the day they were sworn in and most of them weren't worth a damn as workers.

Old 02-25-2010, 05:47 PM

17,531 posts, read 24,695,782 times
Let's send them to College so they can get degrees in Basket weaving and work at SlaveMart the rest of their lives paying off Student Loans

Old 02-25-2010, 05:55 PM

17,531 posts, read 24,695,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rory00 View Post
that wasn't the point. the point is absurd to believe that military service somehow makes someone more disciplined or better citizens which is in reality absurd because it doesn't change a tiger's stripes. if someone is wanting to be disciplined, they would do it on thier own. military is a job and it leans toward aggression.
Yes it is, I like many, needed a structured environment. They can get it in the military or they can get it in prison

Old 02-25-2010, 07:18 PM

5,365 posts, read 6,336,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
As long as Don't Ask Don't Tell is in place, what would stop people from claiming they're gay in order to get out of mandatory military service?
If mandatory military service was in place, the number of closet strait people would skyrocket. lol.

Ultimately, a high percentage of people are just not ment to be in military service. You have to have the mind set to get yelled at all the time and obey orders. I for sure don't. Anyone who told me where to work, or where to sleep, or when to wake up, etc etc.....and then yelled at me for standing with the wrong posture would, in a heart beat, get the bad piece of my mind.

As to the OP mentioning Homestead (this is the homestead on the outskirts of Miami, right?) and how military service could help those people out, too high a percentage of the people living in Homestead are not citizens for mandatory service to even matter. That town is a hotbed for illegal immigration, for one: because of all the agriculture jobs, and two: because the illegals can hide amongst the Native American tribes that live just up the street on 41. I know Homestead very well. I grew up on the outskirts of Naples, FL. I drove through and have stayed in Homestead more times than I can count. As long as the illegals are in poverty, the town will be in poverty. Military service won't change that a bit.

Last edited by CravingMountains; 02-25-2010 at 07:53 PM..

Old 02-25-2010, 08:24 PM

5,160 posts, read 9,171,899 times
The stupidity in this thread would be laughable if it weren't so sad.

Old 02-25-2010, 09:48 PM

44,882 posts, read 33,264,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haaziq View Post
The stupidity in this thread would be laughable if it weren't so sad.
How about pointing out all that stupidity? I think if you can call names you should be able to point out what you are talking about.

Old 02-25-2010, 09:51 PM

768 posts, read 942,631 times
The military is only successful because it can attract losers. Intelligent, thinking people would not stand for 30 grand a year murder-for-hire contracts. Particularly when you can't turn down an assignment. It's a kill first, ask questions later deal. Oh, and those questions are only for your curiosity; you'll kill regardless of your moral predisposition.

It's an utterly immoral, cowardly profession in the current landscape of the world.

Old 02-25-2010, 10:40 PM

46,950 posts, read 25,984,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rory00 View Post
that wasn't the point. the point is absurd to believe that military service somehow makes someone more disciplined or better citizens which is in reality absurd because it doesn't change a tiger's stripes. if someone is wanting to be disciplined, they would do it on thier own.
Not sure that's true. I've seen it happen - people who've been told they're worthless get a bit of structure, some clear demands and an assortment of consequences if they fail to give it their best. Suddenly they find it within themselves to freakin' shine. It can work.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies