Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-02-2007, 05:06 PM

186 posts, read 549,453 times

Advertisements

I was wondering what everyones thought are about having everyone serve 2 years in the military out of high school. I travel some for work and I was just in the Wal Mart in Homestead, FL Talk about crap. You know Homestead area is very nice as far as the climate and animals. To bad the animals that walk on 2 feet trashed the area. I am sure not all are bad. Well reason I posted this is the discipline I see from X marines and some of the other military branches. 2 years does not have to be dealing with combat drills. They can serve 2 years as police, prison guards, work in the city, over all learn leadership skills, discipline. Do you think crime would drop? Do you think everyone would be more fit. well I am sure this would never ever fly. I just get tired of run down areas and people that are crap. Anyone else got any ideas?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2007, 05:19 PM

13,815 posts, read 29,392,256 times
I believe Bush suggested something like that and it was a youth corp or something like that.. I think that would be a better idea and we can leave the military to people that actually want to be there.

Haven't heard anything about it though. Seems it was suggested and died..

ok, I found it. It's the USA Freedom Corp and it's not like the original suggestion. Now it seems to be a volunteer thing and I can't see much of today's youth doing that.. except of course those that join the military..

USA Freedom Corps - Make a Difference.* Volunteer.

Old 09-02-2007, 05:39 PM

18,700 posts, read 42,061,367 times
Excellent Mach. I also firmly believe a person should serve 2 years. However, with one modification. At age 20. Straight out of high school, they're still unsure of themselves. Undecided. If we wait till age 20, you'll get a lot more settled individual.

Also, what about border security as one of the options?

Old 09-02-2007, 06:02 PM

8,042 posts, read 12,265,438 times
I'm completely against mandatory military service ... although I know that the Service has benefitted many kids who were headed down the wrong path. It should definitely be an OPTION for kids out of high school who are unsure of what they want to do.

I believe the proof is evident that the all voluntary service (no draft) works just fine the way it is. There was lower morale when there was a draft, such as during the Vietnam years. Remember how defiant many young people were about having to serve? That was because the draft FORCED many people away from their lives, and away from their families. Not everyone is fit for military service ... but those who CHOOSE to serve in the military have a higher morale, and do a fine job at defending our country.

Required military service for everyone is an oppresive form of government control. That's why it worked so well in Communist Russia & Nazi Germany!

Old 09-02-2007, 06:21 PM

186 posts, read 549,453 times
I meet guys that are 50 and they are unsure what they want to do. Yeah border control would be a great idea.

Valley You are right about the Military working fine the way it is, but I was referring about someones character. Like I said they don't have to serve in military drills. Just something were some one can learn to apply themselves. The way things are going now is not a good way. Just think how much better an area could be if people cared about things. Maybe something as simple as littering could be altered. I think everyone could agree that your senior year in High School is a joke. so you could start at age 17 - 19 or something. From some of my experience working with college grads, they tell me that all you get out of college is maturity. Most don't even work in their profession they have a degree in. Not everyone can afford a college education or the tools needed to graduate. Mandatory military or something else might be able to give young adults the skills they need to make a better decision on the direction they want to go in live. Sometimes volunteering for something is not the best. Sometimes to much freedom is not the best. You can drop out of high school if you want.

Last edited by mach; 09-02-2007 at 06:22 PM.. Reason: missed a word

Old 09-02-2007, 06:34 PM

2,507 posts, read 8,563,032 times
There should be three groups.
College bound kids
Kids who pay for college by some sort of service on some nights and weekends (AmeriCorps, Peace Corps, Army, National Guard, Border Security)
Kids who should be in the above programs (plus the possibility of Tech school) full time.
And mach, how bout' we don't drop out of high school. This country is uneducated enough already.

Old 09-02-2007, 06:44 PM

4,714 posts, read 8,461,458 times
Why? America has no real enemies and almost no realistic military threats in the world except for some guys hiding in caves in Pakistan. We need to ramp up the military for this? Also consider the additional costs that the military would entail to be constantly processing persons in and out who are not performing a significant military role. People who look to the U.S. military to correct social issues are completely out of touch with reality. The U.S. military is supposed to exist to DEFEND THE NATION, not implement fascism with a Cheney smile.

Last edited by ParkTwain; 09-02-2007 at 07:09 PM..

Old 09-02-2007, 06:55 PM

18,700 posts, read 42,061,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ParkTwain View Post
Why? America has no real enemies and almost no realistic military threats in the world except for some guys hiding in caves in Pakistan. We need to ramp up the military for this?
Did you read the post? All of it? Just curious.

Old 09-03-2007, 09:40 AM

7,138 posts, read 14,639,213 times
Yes, to provide mainly discipline and some sense of patriotism for our lost youth, they evidently aren't getting any values at home/school/church anymore. It won't fly here, though, as it is not YET a military necessity with our country to have everyone "drafted". As it is in places like Israel (IDF).

Old 09-03-2007, 09:58 AM

26,214 posts, read 49,044,521 times
Oh sure, I can see it now...Muffy goes to boot camp....but sarge, I want the Army with the condo's and sailboats, like in the recruiting posters...I gotta go to sick call so I can get a pedicure, these silly boots just kill my feet.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies