Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-04-2012, 05:23 AM

6,897 posts, read 4,751,657 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by softblueyz View Post
Before discussing it, you may want to be a bit more informed.

An Emerging Theory on Blacks' I.Q. Scores - New York Times
I agree to some extent with this article, but it is based on opinion and no solid evidence this is the case, because even among the educated people, blacks generally score lower. So educate them first and then retake the test and I will bet most will score around the same. IQ is a test to determine level of intelligence, and you cannot study for it to do better, you have to have the smarts to begin with.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2012, 05:39 AM

8,732 posts, read 6,781,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostrider275452 View Post
I agree to some extent with this article, but it is based on opinion and no solid evidence this is the case, because even among the educated people, blacks generally score lower. So educate them first and then retake the test and I will bet most will score around the same. IQ is a test to determine level of intelligence, and you cannot study for it to do better, you have to have the smarts to begin with.
Just an opinion (by a black man?), blacks just don't have the "smarts", whites are born with those "smarts" and didn't have to study to achieve a higher IQ. Got it.

How about a do over in a different environment? Before retesting, place those that underscore in a good learning environment, with teachers that encourage, rather than discourage or ignore them, and then retest. Or would that be a waste of time because one cannot study to do better to test higher and blacks don't have the "smarts" to do better - even in a better teaching environment?

Old 08-04-2012, 05:58 AM

Quote:
Just an opinion (by a black man?), blacks just don't have the "smarts", whites are born with those "smarts" and didn't have to study to achieve a higher IQ. Got it.

How about a do over in a different environment? Before retesting, place those that underscore in a good learning environment, with teachers that encourage, rather than discourage or ignore them, and then retest. Or would that be a waste of time because one cannot study to do better to test higher and blacks don't have the "smarts" to do better - even in a better teaching environment?
As I said, it is a test for level of intelligence, there is nothing to study for, or don't you get it. It determines at what level you are capable of learning. God forbid this should be brought up, we might be trying to prove superiority

Old 08-04-2012, 06:20 AM

8,732 posts, read 6,781,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostrider275452 View Post
............we might be trying to prove superiority
Who is "we"? You are the one who mentioned superiority, turning a discussion into a racial issue.

I can agree that IQ scores are lower, but a bit of reseasrch and an open mind allows one to understand it.

You discount one man's "opinion", when there are many who share that "opinion". But don't let that stop you in expressing your" well informed opinion".

Last edited by softblueyz; 08-04-2012 at 07:18 AM..

Old 08-04-2012, 08:18 AM

73,009 posts, read 62,598,043 times
Quote:
Who is "we"? You are the one who mentioned superiority, turning a discussion into a racial issue.

I can agree that IQ scores are lower, but a bit of reseasrch and an open mind allows one to understand it.

You discount one man's "opinion", when there are many who share that "opinion". But don't let that stop you in expressing your" well informed opinion".
Something you have to understand. Black people have been told for generations that they were inferior. I'm very cynical of IQ scores myself. However, whether or not IQ scores are true, this is the reason many Black people would get defensive about it. If you are told your whole life that you are inferior, you aren't going to feel good about yourself. However, if you decide to tell those who curse you where to stuff it(and this happened in the 1960s), then your mentality will be different. People get sick and tired of hearing stuff like "you're inferior" or "Blacks are mentally inferior". Black people have been told that for so long and have been made to feel that way for so long. This is why there is a touch of defensiveness among many African-Americans. People became sick and tired of being denigrated and being made to feel inferior.

Old 08-04-2012, 08:31 AM

Quote:

I did not claim superiority, JTG stated,
Quote:
"One only has to spend time on an college campus to know there is no such thing as white intellectual superiority"
Spending time on a college campus proves nothing, academic acheivment proves everything. Although I do believe some races are more intelligent in general, I do not believe they are superior. Quit trying to dig for something that isn't there!

Old 08-04-2012, 09:09 AM

1,389 posts, read 1,312,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leisesturm View Post
Just saying... Mitt Romney had his head handed to him recently, for observing that the different outcomes between Israelis and Palestinians have nothing to do with the ongoing occupation of Palestine and the ongoing destruction of their infrastructure or the restriction of their access to water, food, eductiation of other manifestations of civilization, but simply because Israelis are just better people. Hmmm. Somewhere in Palestine are Palestinians that are upwardly mobile and educated and they might have reacted less violently to Romney's statements. For a black man not to understand that black people have been destroyed beyond recovery by white people in America is some kind of crime IMO. If I were white I would try every day to distance myself from the awful legacy of slavery, Jim Crow and the ongoing racial divide. No one black or anyone who self-identifies as black has that right. Are there successful black Americans? Of course there are. Does that indicate that it is indeed possible for all blacks to achieve their results? Of course not! And the distinction if not individual. There is institutional racism and it skews the outcomes for millions of black men and women and it must not be denied. IT MUST NOT BE DENIED! Never forget. I am one of the most non-ethnic, white acting, black men the o.p. could ever hope to know, but I'll be damned to hell before I will go on the offensive against my own and side with white people in calling black people anything less than children of God. That just isn't called for.

H
you contradict yourself. You acknowledge that some black Americans are successful in spite of racism, but that racism is why some blacks are still lagging. There is less institutional racism now than back then, yet educational, crime, low births, etc. are worse today. If we maintain the status quo of drug violence and welfarism, the gap between these folks and others will increase.

Old 08-04-2012, 09:21 AM

3,304 posts, read 2,172,400 times
Quote:

Hundreds of billions of dollars have been spent trying to close the achievement gap. Contrary to popular claims that Black students are given poor educations, more money is spent per capita on Black students than on White or Asian students. Plus if you include the billions spent on programs like Head Start, it is even higher.

The idea that Blacks are kept down is not based on reality. Even in majority Black cities with majority Black school administrations and teachers, Black students perform poorly. That is not one man's opinion. That is a fact.

Old 08-04-2012, 09:29 AM

1,389 posts, read 1,312,791 times
Sowells ethnic America is a great read on iq history. So many variables determine this such as parentage, school environment, eetc

Old 08-04-2012, 09:47 AM

8,391 posts, read 6,296,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Supachai View Post
That's a bunch of pure nonsense. Race is not just skin color. Race is ancestry. A south Indian may have the same skin color as a Black person, but they are not the same race.

Race is a biological fact. People cluster together genetically based on shared ancestry. Humans aren't immune from basic biological rules. Humans are still subject to selection, genetic drift and divergence just like any other species and those same biological forces give us our regional variation that is race.
What you wrote is complete hogwash. Race is not real. People don't cluster on the basis of race that idea is antithetical to history. Literally, history is made up of warring people's who are virtually the same. So get out of here with your make believe.

Race is not biological. Race is a social construct. It was invented by Europeans in this land during the slave trade. Before that time, people did not identify themselves on the basis of race.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies