Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-05-2012, 06:32 AM

18,630 posts, read 19,418,524 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostrider275452 View Post
What kind of tests were they? It was probably something other than IQ tests. If they were tests that required some education, then the south has always lagged behind in this area and this might explain it. I Q test for the most part do not requie a great deal of education, since most of it is based on logic and is testing the functuality of the brain, a basic understanding is all that is required.
I think they were IQ test like. I remember reading a similar story.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2012, 06:40 AM

6,897 posts, read 4,752,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardA View Post
I think they were IQ test like. I remember reading a similar story.
Maybe we should do a little research, sounds interesting.

Old 08-05-2012, 06:56 AM

73,014 posts, read 62,607,656 times
Quote:
My Dad used to say, "There are some people who are too dumb, to know there dumb" I firmly believe this. If one thinks violent behavior is normal for them, then how do they control it?
Then this shows a MENTALITY problem, which has to be changed, which can be changed if a person wants to change. My point is that this behavior has much more to do with personal responsibility, culture, and attitude than it does with IQ.

Old 08-05-2012, 07:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by softblueyz View Post
You seem to be a pretty reasonable person. So let's have a discussion here and put aside defenses. You keep stressing the point that you are trying to get white people to understand "what has been done to blacks". White people know and (many) do understand, but for most that understanding has a cut off, which would be what transpired after the 60s. You need to understand what blacks have done to themselves. And if you can be objective, you may see where I'm coming from. (The reference to "you" is in the broad sense.)

Before the civil rights movement, going back to slavery black people had no control over their lives. As time passed and up to the 60s, black people still didn't have control over their lives life. There were laws and rules that applied. All of which was created by a white society - Part I of black history. Black people want white people to understand and acknowledge this part of history - which we do. As a result of the civil rights movement those rules and laws were removed. - Part II of black history kicks in. Now black people want white people to take responsibility for what has transpired after the 60s, which is the failure of black people who didn't take advantage of doors that were opened and barriers broken down - opportunities for advancement. There is a segment of black people that don't want to take responsiblity for their own failures over the past 4 decades. Using the "tools" that were created for the advancement of blacks. How is it the fault of whites when so many black people didn't pick up those tools to build a better life? If you didn't use those tools you cannot create another piece history which is putting the blame on white people for the failure of blacks to pick up those tools and use them. If you are drowning in the ocean and can't swim and someone throws you a life line and you don't grab onto it, you determine your own fate.

Black history - Part I - is a very important part of black history and the history of this nation. But the indoctrination taken from Part II of black history being passed on to each generation - is very damaging and, IMO, has been created as an excuse for failure. This negative indoctrination gets recycled and passed on to children, setting them up for failure, rather than encouraging each generation to go out and grab everything that is available to them and use it to the best of their ability, this negative indoctrination prepares them for failure and an excuse for that failure. It's bad enough that there are a minority of white people telling blacks they are inferior, but it's worse when black people are bascially teaching their own children through negative indoctrination that they are inferior by instilling in them an excuse for failure.

To a degree I can see the "reason" (what has been done to blacks in the past) being used 30 years ago, but it's been 40 years since change came about, and the reason is no longer a reason, but has become an excuse for individual failure. You cannot blame what was, you need to take responsibility and acknowledge that the tools were given to you, you just didn't pick them up, tear down the barriers and do the best you could with those tools. Being the best one can be doesn't mean being a doctor, or a lawyer, but being a productive individual. How many generations have to pass before the excuse stops getting passed down? As long as that "excuse" to fail is passed down you can expect failure. Yes, racism hurts and it's not about to go away, but you compound the effect/weight of racism that you carry with excuses, excuses that weigh you down even further. You either pull yourself up by the bootstraps, or you wallow in the self-pity and failure that you created for yourself and understand that the path you take will more than likely be the path of your children unless they come to understand that failure is an option.

It's no different that being in a dysfunctional family, it doesn't matter if you live in poverty or in a mansion, the dysfunctional behavior will be there. It's not until someone within that family realizes that something is wrong and knows that in order to break that behavior they have to remove themself from an unhealthy environment. That is what I did. The dysfunctional indoctrination will stop when positive indoctrination starts.

I will tell you what I tell my grandson: I tell him don't let anyone tell you "you can't". If you aren't good at one thing, it means you are meant to succeed at something else. When we discuss failure it is in the context of how one can fail themself. He loves basketball and was told that he can't play because he was short. His response was "how do you know that? don't tell me I can't" and he turned out to be a pretty good basketball player. If he had listened to someone telling him that "he can't" he would have never found out that he could. He's going to be 13 and I am so proud of him. He's a listener and between his mother and me we speak of only the positive things he can do in life, as opposed to his father who never fails to tell him when he has the opportunity that he's going to end up being a nothing, a loser. This coming from someone who is a big time loser.
The point that you responded to was merely a response to the IQ/mental retardation post from someone else.

I never said holding onto the past was a good thing. I was merely stating the roots of resentment. I've even been one of the first persons to support personal responsibility. When I was speaking about defensiveness, I was talking more about people discussing things like IQ. For someone like me, who favors individual responsibility, who can do for himself, a subject like IQ, and its implications tends to smell more like 1950s America. That's just something I'm trying to prevent.

And I'm already aware of what has transpired in the Black community over the last 40 years. What I don't like is the generalizations, and some people responding to me according to what some in the Black community have done(i.e. racial profiling). I know what is going on. However, the reason why people mention it, well, it don't know why many people are mentioning it. I don't know if it's out of true care and concern, or if it's out of anger and frustration at the Black population. I think some people wonder. I think this is why some people lambasted Bill Cosby.

Last edited by green_mariner; 08-05-2012 at 07:14 AM..

Old 08-05-2012, 07:09 AM

Quote:
Maybe we should do a little research, sounds interesting.
Here is some research: Black Rednecks and White Liberals - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Book Review: Black Rednecks and White Liberals | Heartland Institute

Black rednecks and white liberals - Thomas Sowell - [page]

Old 08-05-2012, 07:54 AM

6,897 posts, read 4,752,340 times
I read some of it and none of it surprises me, the south was never know for great work ethic or being very smart, the shame is, that blacks now emulate this same behavior.

Old 08-05-2012, 08:09 AM

1,389 posts, read 1,312,942 times
Mariner, have you read RACE AND ECONOMICS by Walter Williams?

Old 08-05-2012, 08:10 AM

1,389 posts, read 1,312,942 times
Quote:
I read some of it and none of it surprises me, the south was never know for great work ethic or being very smart, the shame is, that blacks now emulate this same behavior.
Whites too but only some in both groups.

Old 08-05-2012, 08:14 AM

1,331 posts, read 1,987,653 times
I wish a a lot of people would read history as it is recorded in other parts of the world and not just American history books.
Today's discussions are always about racism (mostly between whites and blacks) and it goes back to slavery.

Well, what most do not know is that if you were a slave in America you were in essence a prisoner sentenced to be there by Africans. Now before you spit that coffee all over your screen finish reading this.

If you committed a crime within your tribe or if you did not submit to the tribes king you could be sentenced to be sold to the ships that came from America to buy cheap labor.

The African tribe would them selves bring the "prisoners" to the coast where they were sold by their own people. It is not like Americans sailed to Africa, walked inland several hundreds of miles to round up laborers, bring them back...keep them in descent condition to be able to work in America several months later.

Also, African tribes also had their own slaves sold to them from India.
Why is this not reported in our history books?

If it was not the whites doing it ti the blacks, it would have been the Chinese doing it to the Hispanics.
It is just the way the world worked at that time and what values were accepted.

We tend to forget certain aspects of history if it will benefit our agenda and that goes in both ways!!

This is how it was summarized to by my Nigerian friend who's mother is a black history professor at a respected university.

Old 08-05-2012, 08:56 AM

Quote:
A segment of the Black population is emulating that behavior.This behavior has died out among Blacks and Whites as educational attainment has risen. However, it is the poorest and most uneducated who emulate this behavior.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies